Jump to content
  • Sign up now

    Registration is quick and easy 

Leathers for a colostomy bag user


Recommended Posts

Having had bowel cancer and losing my large bowel I now have to use a colostomy bag. I am now finding it hard to get into my bike leathers due to said bag. My HG leathers are the right waist size, but they squash the bag, which sits in the abdomen area. 

Anyone else on here have a bag, and if so have you found leathers to accommodate the bag or another way around it? I appreciate this being a personal thing that you may not want to share on a forum so please PM me if you prefer.

PS, I am OK with textiles, but do not want to have to use them all the time 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I can't help with your issue but I'm sure it's not an insurmountable problem, have you looked into alterations to what you have.

 

Good to see your looking for a solution to something you clearly have a passion for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Bender said:

Unfortunately I can't help with your issue but I'm sure it's not an insurmountable problem, have you looked into alterations to what you have.

 

Good to see your looking for a solution to something you clearly have a passion for. 

Hi bender, I thought about having a panel put in the HGs, but need to find a decent alterations place. The HGs are too expensive to just leave them. 

PS. I ot back on the bike about a week after leaving hospital. As soon as I could get it the sidestand that was it, though it hurt like hell on potholes, but it was easier than now trying to ride with a injured shoulder 

Edited by billy sugger
Added text
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a thought you are only a couple of miles from J&S factory in Finedon.

I have found them very helpful in the past and an enquiry couldn`t hurt.

Cheers

Ian

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fair play mate.

I'd definitely try the alterations route. A half decent seamstress should be able to sort something. 

Best of luck with it. My nan had bowel cancer when I was a kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ian Frog said:

Just a thought you are only a couple of miles from J&S factory in Finedon.

I have found them very helpful in the past and an enquiry couldn`t hurt.

Cheers

Ian

I know about J&S, they do some alteration work, but they only have 2 girls for repairs and they are inundated with work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

+1 for Hideout Leathers. They're just a few miles outside Cambridge, so not that far from you. 

I've not used them myself, but they're well regarded for custom alterations to leathers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, bonio said:

+1 for Hideout Leathers. They're just a few miles outside Cambridge, so not that far from you. 

I've not used them myself, but they're well regarded for custom alterations to leathers. 

Ta Bonio

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Just a thought you are only a couple of miles from J&S factory in Finedon.

I have found them very helpful in the past and an enquiry couldn`t hurt.

Cheers

Ian

Formerly Frank Thomas . Years ago when I was in the bike shop  I visited the place . I wasn't aware that they actually made anything there . I thought all the leathers came from Pakistan .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

Formerly Frank Thomas . Years ago when I was in the bike shop  I visited the place . I wasn't aware that they actually made anything there . I thought all the leathers came from Pakistan .

Hi fastbob, you're right, all their leather stuff comes from Pakistan. I worked there for a while and had to help unload the lorries. If stuff gets returned to any of the stores it all gets sent to Finedon for repair/alteration, and there is boxes of stuff waiting rework, there is even a load of helmets.

Frank Thomas did have a small unit on a industrial estate, can't remember where, that Frank's daughter ran, and her and I think her mum did alterations to FT gear. Not sure if they are still in business, cos J&S own the name now so it all gets sent to Finedon. 

 

Years ago we had a family run business called Dobbs Leathers, and they were brilliant at after sales care, etc and would have been perfect for me if still around

Edited by billy sugger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/09/2021 at 13:10, billy sugger said:

Having had bowel cancer and losing my large bowel I now have to use a colostomy bag. I am now finding it hard to get into my bike leathers due to said bag. My HG leathers are the right waist size, but they squash the bag, which sits in the abdomen area. 

Anyone else on here have a bag, and if so have you found leathers to accommodate the bag or another way around it? I appreciate this being a personal thing that you may not want to share on a forum so please PM me if you prefer.

PS, I am OK with textiles, but do not want to have to use them all the time 

 

 

Sounds like you need an external pocket for the bag with a small opening somewhere for the tube to exit, be easier to empty the bag without having to get in and out of the leathers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, dynax said:

 

 

Sounds like you need an external pocket for the bag with a small opening somewhere for the tube to exit, be easier to empty the bag without having to get in and out of the leathers.

Wrong type of bag , mine is for solid matter, so has a large opening for emptying. Unfortunately leathers are meant to be close fitting, so there isn't really anything out there, that I know off, hence the posting of this topic. I can't be the only biker with a bag. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, billy sugger said:

Hi fastbob, you're right, all their leather stuff comes from Pakistan. I worked there for a while and had to help unload the lorries. If stuff gets returned to any of the stores it all gets sent to Finedon for repair/alteration, and there is boxes of stuff waiting rework, there is even a load of helmets.

Frank Thomas did have a small unit on a industrial estate, can't remember where, that Frank's daughter ran, and her and I think her mum did alterations to FT gear. Not sure if they are still in business, cos J&S own the name now so it all gets sent to Finedon. 

 

Years ago we had a family run business called Dobbs Leathers, and they were brilliant at after sales care, etc and would have been perfect for me if still around

Interestingly the guy that started Frank Thomas owns the airfield property where the tower was that spoke to Glenn Miller last (Near Clapham in Beds and when he retired he liked to drink in the Sunn Inn at Felmersham and he told us there was no such person as Frank Thomas as it was made up using the first names of his two sons.

I liked him and he was very interesting to talk to remembering a lot of the names from back in the day such as John Brown Wheels who he described as sharks lol.

Cheers

Ian

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ian, it's a shame he sold up because the quality of kit now bearing his name is nowhere near the quality it used to be. I bought a pair of FT gloves from Dobbs, and had them for over ten years before I lost them somewhere

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, billy sugger said:

Hi fastbob, you're right, all their leather stuff comes from Pakistan. I worked there for a while and had to help unload the lorries. If stuff gets returned to any of the stores it all gets sent to Finedon for repair/alteration, and there is boxes of stuff waiting rework, there is even a load of helmets.

Frank Thomas did have a small unit on a industrial estate, can't remember where, that Frank's daughter ran, and her and I think her mum did alterations to FT gear. Not sure if they are still in business, cos J&S own the name now so it all gets sent to Finedon. 

 

Years ago we had a family run business called Dobbs Leathers, and they were brilliant at after sales care, etc and would have been perfect for me if still around

They actually used to joke about themselves by saying that there are two man-made objects visible from space , the Great Wall of China and the Frank Thomas returns mountain . The fact that satellites carry ultra high resolution cameras had clearly passed them by . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, billy sugger said:

Wrong type of bag , mine is for solid matter, so has a large opening for emptying. Unfortunately leathers are meant to be close fitting, so there isn't really anything out there, that I know off, hence the posting of this topic. I can't be the only biker with a bag. 

 

Yeah I can see the problem.

 

Are your leathers one or two piece, if two piece it may be possible to have the trousers modified, if you are struggling to find a seamstress maybe look for an upholsterer or even someone who does car interiors to do the alterations, leather work is pretty much universal regardless which trade works with it, there will be a way somehow :thumb:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dynax said:

 

Yeah I can see the problem.

 

Are your leathers one or two piece, if two piece it may be possible to have the trousers modified, if you are struggling to find a seamstress maybe look for an upholsterer or even someone who does car interiors to do the alterations, leather work is pretty much universal regardless which trade works with it, there will be a way somehow :thumb:

Motorcycle leatherwork is different to upholstery ... the stitching and materials has to be able to withstand so much more than a seat ever will ..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi TimR, I found a link on the website you posted, and have sent them a message. My other option is finding somewhere that can put in a elasticated panel, like I've seen on the knee area or the rear of some leather bike gear

Edited by billy sugger
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.