Jump to content
  • Sign up now

    Registration is quick and easy 

Suspension upgrade nightmare goes on YSS SHOCK


jedibiker
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, as expected it didnt go plain sailing.

 

Fitted a YSS shick to the 650 bandit.. Even got the 1200 version as its meant to be for a heavier bike..

 

Wound preload really far on and still only getting rider sag to 50mm.. a good 15-20mm out.. im scared to wind it too far and actually didnt think Id have too. I hear these shocks are great, but I guess 17.5stone guys need different spring rates etc.. Baffled as ever..

Any heavy guys use these? And i dont think 17st is even heavy really.

 

Measurements were 550mm on center stand. the 2 other measurents L2 L3 502mm no stiction which seems odd too

 

Gave linkage a good strip and clean too.

20210921_165646.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need to start off with static sag and go from there. 
You may have already done this but you’ve not mentioned. 
I would also wind the preload to max, see where you are and work back from there. 
Is the spring correct for your weight in full gear? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

You need to start off with static sag and go from there. 
You may have already done this but you’ve not mentioned. 
I would also wind the preload to max, see where you are and work back from there. 
Is the spring correct for your weight in full gear? 

i had to have static sag to calculate rider sag buddy. ive no idea if the spring is for my weight, just expected an upgrade to be ideal for varied weights.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

Have you ridden it yet and if so how does it feel? 

test ride tomorrow. spent ages trying to get figures right so had a beer and chilled. I was just saying to the mrs it may not matter as long as it rides ok as its not like im getting knee down on bends etc..

I think maybe we get hung up on articles saying do this and do that when it doesnt always matter. Just want a slightly comfy ride and fun in bends (not knee down)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

test ride tomorrow. spent ages trying to get figures right so had a beer and chilled. I was just saying to the mrs it may not matter as long as it rides ok as its not like im getting knee down on bends etc..

I think maybe we get hung up on articles saying do this and do that when it doesnt always matter. Just want a slightly comfy ride and fun in bends (not knee down)

 

Thats pretty much what I was about to say 

 

take it for a spin and see how it feels as while the articles and experts say one thing it doesn't mean you will like the feel of it 

 

I set my TL suspension to the recommended settings to start with after a spring and oil change and while it felt better it was too stiff and took a little tweaking to get right for me 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

 

Thats pretty much what I was about to say 

 

take it for a spin and see how it feels as while the articles and experts say one thing it doesn't mean you will like the feel of it 

 

I set my TL suspension to the recommended settings to start with after a spring and oil change and while it felt better it was too stiff and took a little tweaking to get right for me 

was where my thinking was going, although they are looking at a spring suited to my weight too. it may be good enough

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jedibiker said:

was where my thinking was going, although they are looking at a spring suited to my weight too. it may be good enough

 

I fitted hyperpro progressive front springs and could only get the sag to about 40mm at max! 

 

Same on the FJR too 

 

The bike handled so much better than stock 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Stu said:

 

I fitted hyperpro progressive front springs and could only get the sag to about 40mm at max! 

 

Same on the FJR too 

 

The bike handled so much better than stock 

actually reassuring to hear... thanks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.