Jump to content
  • Sign up now

    Registration is quick and easy 

How much power should my first bike have?


Mike1110
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’ve convinced my father to let me buy a project bike and I brought up the subject of me riding it and he said it was too much horse power and the back tire would just spin. What would be a good starter bike, the one I am purchasing is a 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 (has Abs)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you got a full license? The Ninja has 39 bhp and 27 nm of torque it's not a powerful bike. Also with all due respect your dad obviously knows nothing about how a motorcycle works if he believes his statement to be true.

Edited by Spongefinger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not even old enough to have a licence yet. Only 15, but he thinks that the back wheel has a lot of torque and the throttle is super sensitive so when I hit throttle it would do a burnout essentially. The 0-60mph time is 5.6 seconds and top speed is 108mph so he thinks it too powerful and too fast 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t think you can ride that bike until you are 19 and pass the relevant test. But if you get some practice on a 125 first then I think it would be perfect step up. 
 

This link gives some info on licensing

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/new-licencing-laws-explained

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your description of what your Dad says reminds me of when I was 16 and about to get my first motorbike … so the night before I got it my Dad sat me down for a serious talk and told me how powerful the bike would be. Just the slightest touch of the throttle would make it accelerate so fast that I would have to be careful not to get thrown off backwards … it actually all sounded so exciting that I couldn’t sleep and it was a terrific disappointment actually when I got on this rather tired secondhand FS1e moped to find that was never going to happen! … I’m 60 years old now. And as I recently told my sister. I’ve only just started to ride a bike where that warning could possibly have any relevance. And it’s still hardly likely … my sister thought that very funny!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Davidtav said:

Your description of what your Dad says reminds me of when I was 16 and about to get my first motorbike … so the night before I got it my Dad sat me down for a serious talk and told me how powerful the bike would be. Just the slightest touch of the throttle would make it accelerate so fast that I would have to be careful not to get thrown off backwards … it actually all sounded so exciting that I couldn’t sleep and it was a terrific disappointment actually when I got on this rather tired secondhand FS1e moped to find that was never going to happen! … I’m 60 years old now. And as I recently told my sister. I’ve only just started to ride a bike where that warning could possibly have any relevance. And it’s still hardly likely … my sister thought that very funny!

 

I bought my first bike against my dad's will. It was a 1970s kx125 when the saw it he got the hump and proceeded go get on it and start it, it shot out from between his legs...he went arse over it the bike smashed into the garden fence and he looked over at me and said " see I told you things are bloody dangerous". 🤣

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davidtav said:

I don’t think you can ride that bike until you are 19 and pass the relevant test. But if you get some practice on a 125 first then I think it would be perfect step up. 
 

This link gives some info on licensing

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/new-licencing-laws-explained

 

Can't even do that till 17, at 16 50cc moped top speed 28 mph with at best 6-7 bhp :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see you are based in the states, this is a primarily UK based forum so it might be hard for us to give you advice on what's a good bike to start with.

 

In this country you are stuck with lower powered options and various tests depending on your age before you can play with the big boys :crybaby:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tomorrow I’m buying a 2013 300cc ninja Kawasaki... it’s broken so I’m going to repair it and sell it to purchase a slower one, but I mean what fun is it if you can’t test drive it? Should I test it out in an empty parking lot or would I break something?? I don’t matter but would the bike likely be okay?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mike1110 said:

Tomorrow I’m buying a 2013 300cc ninja Kawasaki... it’s broken so I’m going to repair it and sell it to purchase a slower one, but I mean what fun is it if you can’t test drive it? Should I test it out in an empty parking lot or would I break something?? I don’t matter but would the bike likely be okay?

You do matter young person.
have you ever ridden a bike before? Off road or anything. If not, see if a loca bike CBT place willer you have a go before you play on yours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I think buying a project to get some hands on experience working on bikes is a brilliant idea.

 

If you're in the USA I've no idea what the rules are for learners but really that's not the point. When you get to that stage you'll just have to follow local procedures.

 

Obviously if you want to test your repaired bike it will need to be off the public highway but you could trailer it somewhere. Get someone who has experience to guide you and just take it sensibly. Wear the right gear. 

 

In my experience someone who has just restored a project isn't likely to go mad with it because you'll just destroy all you hard work. 

 

My first ride was around private land and I fell off, but I wasn't going mad and no harm was done. It's a steep learning curve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

125 is a good size engine for beginners. Plenty fast enough to be frightening but not so much as to be completely terrifying.

When you practice, find some private land where there's nothing near about. Don't go wild, keep your speed under 40 until you've a feel for how it works. Look where you want the bike to go (which is not always where it's going!)

Most of all, wear a helmet and decent protective gear: especially gloves and boots, but proper jacket and pants too - denim shreds to nothing in under a second.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, James in Brum said:

You do matter young person.
have you ever ridden a bike before? Off road or anything. If not, see if a loca bike CBT place willer you have a go before you play on yours.

Yes I ride a 250cc dirt bike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The guys said that the bike was running when he put it away three years ago. What should I check first? What is the most common problem with the bikes after sitting for a long time? I would say I the carb but it doesn’t have any

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A 2013 bike that hasn't been used for three years is still a 2013 bike in most respects. You need to check the mileage and service record the same as any bike. Things that will need replacing due to age / lack of use - fuel, battery, brake fluid, tyres, coolant. I would change the oil and filter as a matter of course. 

 

Much depends on how it has been stored. If it's been kept dry that's good news. Look inside the fuel tank for signs of rust or crap, best to sort those out before you try starting it as anything in there will just get into the fuel injection system and then you've got bigger problems. Check the brakes work, the wheel bearings are ok, the suspension moves as it should. Look for signs of vermin chewing anything - hoses and wiring can suffer from rodent damage. Check the electrics all work.

 

Take a look at the chain, any tight links or signs that the chain and sprockets are worn means replacement.

 

Check the clutch isn't seized, less likely with bikes than cars but they can stick if not used for a long time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't really advise you about your local prices... If you're unsure, you're best off taking a friend round with you to see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.