Failed MOD2 Twice

NathFZ1

Failed my MOD 2 for the second time yesterday - anybody here taken more than once to pass it? Really annoying as I am confident on a bike and have a litre bike which I can't ride. The bike which I did my test on feels like a Honda CG compared to my bike. Really frustrating and I have to wait a month before I can take it again. So pissed

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, NathFZ1 said:

Failed my MOD 2 for the second time yesterday - anybody here taken more than once to pass it? Really annoying as I am confident on a bike and have a litre bike which I can't ride. The bike which I did my test on feels like a Honda CG compared to my bike. Really frustrating and I have to wait a month before I can take it again. So pissed

Commiserations, I failed mod 1 twice if that helps, stick at it 👍 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear. I'm sure after you have talked it through with your instructor, you will be ready for the next one. 

They say many fail just after leaving the test centre due to being nervous. Keep trying, You'll get there :thumb:

1 hour ago, Pie man said:

Sorry to hear. I'm sure after you have talked it through with your instructor, you will be ready for the next one. 

They say many fail just after leaving the test centre due to being nervous. Keep trying, You'll get there :thumb:

When I went to do mod 2 a guy a couple of tests before mine was told to go right out of the test centre....he did onto the right hand side of the road and stayed there driving up the road. Test was cancelled after a couple of minutes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Spongefinger said:

When I went to do mod 2 a guy a couple of tests before mine was told to go right out of the test centre....he did onto the right hand side of the road and stayed there driving up the road. Test was cancelled after a couple of minutes.

Yup that would do it. 

When I did mine they had just started using a route turning right after a long break, its a bridge with single lane and no light control, common sense required to navigate, some one on test had head on with a car, was nasty by all accounts. 

Guess which way they took me after imparting that info. 

• Sad 1

Many many years ago my instructor said to me 'loose the examiner as soon as you are out of the test station 😂' not the best advice but it worked for me. Which back in the day was from a local DVLA office carpark, he gave me the first couple of directions, turn right out of the carpark in to a side street then right again etc, I was off, left him waiting to pull out, by that time I was up to speed in a national, I had to pull over somewhere safe and wait for him 🤣  

• Like 1

1978, me on a 125 doing my test. Examiner takes me out of the office, then the car park. He stands at the side of the road, literally in front of the test centre, and tells me to ride off and go round the first roundabout, which is maybe 100 yards from us, go past him to the next roundabout, and go back towards him then do it all again, and at some point he would step to the kerb and hold out his clipboard, and at that time I should come to a controlled stop without stalling the bike. That was it, took all of ten minutes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 04/10/2021 at 15:10, billy sugger said:

1978, me on a 125 doing my test. Examiner takes me out of the office, then the car park. He stands at the side of the road, literally in front of the test centre, and tells me to ride off and go round the first roundabout, which is maybe 100 yards from us, go past him to the next roundabout, and go back towards him then do it all again, and at some point he would step to the kerb and hold out his clipboard, and at that time I should come to a controlled stop without stalling the bike. That was it, took all of ten minutes

Almost identical to mine in Sept 79 round the block in Wallington in Surrey on a GT185 then next day on a Z650 ! yes those were the days and £7.50 to boot lol.

I do feel a lot of sympathy for those trying to qualify these days overcharged and obviously inconvienienced all because the government don`t want us but can only discourage by overcharging and overcomplicating the whole process.

Obviously this applies to those who want to upgrade and enjoy motorcycling and yet the system seems to favour people who just want to pootle around on scooters delivering pizza etc and generally dragging us all into even more disrepute as if we need it.

Rant over lol.

Cheers

Ian

Yep failed twice and now can't afford to do another one just yet....very frustrating as god's conspire against me !

Can't you just rebook it yourself and do it on your bike if you get someone else to ride it there and have the insurance and all that ...

Edited by Blackholesun

1 hour ago, Blackholesun said:

Yep failed twice and now can't afford to do another one just yet....very frustrating as god's conspire against me !

Can't you just rebook it yourself and do it on your bike if you get someone else to ride it there and have the insurance and all that ...

I believe you can, if you can get insurance.

@Ian Frog I've been out on it a few times with my instructor and moped riders are a nightmare. I feel as though the government should make it harder for them to qualify. Whats frustrating is that the MOD2 is basically run by civil servants and they are like robots. If you don't ride exactly in accordance with the highway code its a failure. I failed because I wasn't 2 seconds behind the car in front in a national and I was a good 5 metres away. Anyway I have another test in a week. Third time lucky I suppose.

On 08/10/2021 at 17:59, Spongefinger said:

I believe you can, if you can get insurance.

When I took my MOD2 a couple rode in on a big bike looked like hubby and wife/partner. Wifey took the test and her mate waited in the waiting room so yes it can be done ive seen it first hand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NathFZ1 said:

@Ian Frog I've been out on it a few times with my instructor and moped riders are a nightmare. I feel as though the government should make it harder for them to qualify. Whats frustrating is that the MOD2 is basically run by civil servants and they are like robots. If you don't ride exactly in accordance with the highway code its a failure. I failed because I wasn't 2 seconds behind the car in front in a national and I was a good 5 metres away. Anyway I have another test in a week. Third time lucky I suppose.

I think it's one car length per 5mph, if you were 5m at 60mph that is far to close unfortunately. 

Live and learn hopefully the mod 2 will soon be a thing of the past. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NathFZ1 said:

How fast were you going in a national ? At 50mph you are traveling at 22.5 meters per second. That's way too close.

The way I see the Mod2 is this, for half a hour or so you have to stick rigidly to the rules to pass, so just do it. When you pass you can drive how you want that's your risk to take.

Edited by Spongefinger
  • Like 4

I hate to be victor mature, but I made quite a few mistakes on my 125 and 500 that I am VERY, VERY glad I made on it and not the CBF1000.  The 125 and to some degree the 500, didn't have the grunt to throw me into traffic.  The 1000cc would have done exactly what I'd ask and dumped me off in the ditch.

I think you should take the feedback the system is giving you VERY seriously.  I seen your insurance quotes on the other thread.  They tell me one thing.  They think you will kill yourself.  The fact you are failing your test is because they don't think you can ride.  Your statement that you have a litre bike that you can't ride is, correct by the sounds of it.  Your regard for the highway code is clear, as is your attitude to your own and other safety.

And on that note, I'm out.

14 hours ago, NathFZ1 said:

................................ Whats frustrating is that the MOD2 is basically run by civil servants and they are like robots. If you don't ride exactly in accordance with the highway code its a failure. I failed because I wasn't 2 seconds behind the car in front in a national and I was a good 5 metres away. Anyway I have another test in a week. Third time lucky I suppose.

I think its your attitude that's the main problem here! Change it or you will probably fail again! .. Unless your "lucky".

The examiners I've come across are all bikers themselves and actually want to pass you. All they're looking for is for you to ride safely and make progress! .. Its that simple!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

I think its your attitude that's the main problem here! Change it or you will probably fail again! .. Unless your "lucky".

The examiners I've come across are all bikers themselves and actually want to pass you. All they're looking for is for you to ride safely and make progress! .. Its that simple!

Spot on!

If you fail twice like I have it can't always be someone else's fault. I have to admit I'm a bit shit at the rules of the road probably because I have mostly driven to work and back the same route for 20 years at 30mph and 70 scares me.... Need to up my game next time

• Like 2

Well, I finally at my 3rd attempt so am over the moon now. I had the same instructor that failed me last time and by no means it was my best ride at all he said that I picked up speed at the right times, dropped back at the right times and overall it was a really good ride. Tbh it was the only time out of all three attempts that I ever felt like I had enjoyed the ride weirdly even though it didn't feel like my best. 

@PaulCa the insurer actually told me that the quotes were so high because it was my first year of riding and not for any other reason. Anyone else my age and in my situation would have exactly the same problem. Having been out on my bike a few times now, I made 100% the right decision getting this bike, it is a beauty. Weirdly I feel that the power and braking on my bike makes me feel alot more stable than when I am learning on the 650s. I really don't agree that I don't have any regard for the highway code or my safety. I know how I ride, I ride defensively and don't take risks. I have seen how other bikers ride and am not like that at all so I am really not sure how you can come to the assumption because I've failed my test twice and have a litre bike? 

But anyway I've passed now so that's all that matters - bit of an anti-climax tbh

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NathFZ1 said:

Well, I finally at my 3rd attempt so am over the moon now. I had the same instructor that failed me last time and by no means it was my best ride at all he said that I picked up speed at the right times, dropped back at the right times and overall it was a really good ride. Tbh it was the only time out of all three attempts that I ever felt like I had enjoyed the ride weirdly even though it didn't feel like my best. 

@PaulCa the insurer actually told me that the quotes were so high because it was my first year of riding and not for any other reason. Anyone else my age and in my situation would have exactly the same problem. Having been out on my bike a few times now, I made 100% the right decision getting this bike, it is a beauty. Weirdly I feel that the power and braking on my bike makes me feel alot more stable than when I am learning on the 650s. I really don't agree that I don't have any regard for the highway code or my safety. I know how I ride, I ride defensively and don't take risks. I have seen how other bikers ride and am not like that at all so I am really not sure how you can come to the assumption because I've failed my test twice and have a litre bike? 

But anyway I've passed now so that's all that matters - bit of an anti-climax tbh

Congrats, told you soon be a distant memory 👍 

• Like 1