MOD 1 Practice

So I had my MOD 1 practice session today ahead of what was supposed to be my test tomorrow. Unfortunately during a manoeuvre I pinged the clutch, lost control of the bike, came off the back and the bike went through the fence. The bike was damaged badly and requires some work to be made road worthy again which I offered to pay for. The instructor was very nice about everything and was more worried about me but I was fine. What my question is, should the instructor not have insurance covering damage meaning I shouldn’t end up paying for it? Of course, I am willing to cover all damage I was just curious as to whether that was necessary or not. 

7 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

They will have insurance to cover those sorts of things. You will certainly not be the first one to damage one of their bikes!!

I thought as much maybe just because I offered he said he would get in touch with a cost for replacement parts. 

It will depend on the agreement you signed at the start! .. A bit like car hire, you may be responsible for the excess or you may have a collision damage waiver!

If there was no signed agreement I don't think you'll be liable for anything.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

It will depend on the agreement you signed at the start! .. A bit like car hire, you may be responsible for the excess or you may have a collision damage waiver!

If there was no signed agreement I don't think you'll be liable for anything.

Thanks. I didn’t sign anything prior to starting my practice session. 

6 hours ago, JDD1991 said:

Thanks. I didn’t sign anything prior to starting my practice session. 

That's a bit worrying but could be in your favour that you didn't sign some kind of disclaimer. The school I used have a contract and will charge you up to £500 of damage you cause.

Edited by Spongefinger

2 hours ago, Spongefinger said:

That's a bit worrying but could be in your favour that you didn't sign some kind of disclaimer. The school I used have a contract and will charge you up to £500 of damage you cause.

Mine too! .. But there was an option of a collision damage waiver for £10 

The company I used didn't and when some damage occurred to one of their bikes (not by me, honest!) one of the owners said to me "it's a cost of doing business", and they either spannered their own bikes as much as possible or knew people who gave them good rates for more complex stuff. And also why many bike schools use bikes for which spares and repairs are plentiful I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worthwhile adding without an agreement in place that whilst I think it's vaguely possible they could attempt to reclaim costs via a moneyclaim (think small claims court) I'm not sure how a court would view them attempting to claim your negligence or reckless actions led to the damage when you were under their tuition. Just a gut feel that they'd deduct a fair amount from any judgement with that in mind. Admittedly I don't talk from legal training here, but just a hunch from previous dealings with how judges think in the small claims court (they have a fair amount of leeway in their judgements)

• Thanks 1