Older rider starting out - what path did people follow any advice

Hi, I have not had a 'bike' since a moped (Suzuki AP50) I had back in the eighties.  Once I passed my car test I never got chance to get into bikes.

I am now in my 50s and interested in starting riding.  I think I have almost got my head around the various tests and training needed.

But I was wondering what do most people do, go through the CBT and ride a 125 on L plates for a few months.  Or work their way through the tests and then by their first bike.

Some of the tests look like they may need quite a bit of experience to pass.  So wondering if the 125 route is best.

I am not looking to get a massive bike, just something to make a few trips on to make a change from using the car.

What are your thoughts?

I did CBT at 49  (now 51 took year to get full license due to covid ) went onto DAS and now own a Hornet 600. I personally wouldn't bother getting a 125 if a big bike is your goal just go DAS route. Everyone learns at different rates and how your CBT goes should give you and your instructor a good idea how much training you may need to get through. Bigger bikes feel more grounded and stable and gave me more confidence particularly out on the road.

Edited by Spongefinger

Hi.

I'm seventy eight and started late, you might say. I've had four bikes in six years and I've done three two yearly CBTs. I've had some great fun on a 2019 Yamaha YZF 125 R and I've just got the 2021 Honda  CB125R.

I don't intend going through the process of a test. I suspect me next bike will be a trike. That's probably the most convenient and practical route for me. That way will allow me to carry a pillion, go on a motorway and chuck the bloody L plates. 

You have age on your side and I would respectfully suggest you go for it. If you have a riding school near to you why not have a go at direct access. You can start on a 600 bike and once you've cracked it your appetite will take over and the fun begins.

Go for it.

Regards.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gerontious said:

what he said... don't waste anymore time. CBT then DAS.

(assuming you can afford it. obviously)

What he said!

I did DAS, wanted to compress learning as much as possible - no value in dragging it out.

School suggested (very gently) that I needed an extra session before MOD2 (hesitation on roundabouts), passed with no problems.