Crash protection bars, slider etc, are they worth it?

21 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Funnily enough I've just bought a set of Heed crash bars for my bike. Should have bought them years ago but for some reason didn't. 

Did you buy them Direct from Heed.......

21 hours ago, husoi said:

I wonder...

How difficult it will be to make my own crash bars for my shadow. 🤔

I should stop reading all the threads in here. 🙄

You're like the Caractacus Potts of the biking world :thumb:

• Thanks 1

If you're buying something for near continent, France, Germany and to an extend Poland, I would ride there and have them fitted.

Like that you won't pay any duty on them :thumb:

10 hours ago, Pie man said:

You're like the Caractacus Potts of the biking world :thumb:

That's the nicest thing I have been called in a long time 😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, husoi said:

If you're buying something for near continent, France, Germany and to an extend Poland, I would ride there and have them fitted.

Like that you won't pay any duty on them :thumb:

That's the nicest thing I have been called in a long time 😎

I think the cost of riding to Poland and back is a tad more than the duty. I'm really not that bothered about it. 

29 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

I think the cost of riding to Poland and back is a tad more than the duty. I'm really not that bothered about it. 

True, but you would have a touring trip to enjoy and get the bars while you're there.

To add to it, the patisseries in Poland are second to none 😉

It’s worth getting a quote from the suppliers for the total cost. I recently bought a Scottoiler that was ordered in the EU but actually came from the U.K. At first sight the duty costs seemed horrendous but in fact the price I paid for delivery to France was less than the post free price for an order that I had made for exactly the same product to be delivered to a U.K. address. I cancelled the first order because it’s delivery was delayed. 

Whatever you do, whatever you buy. Don't be like this twit.

The bars he has cost a few hundreds. The damage he has done, if the worst happens and cannot be properly repaired to 'as new' will cost him circa £2000

Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 10.32.27.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Whatever you do, whatever you buy. Don't be like this twit.

The bars he has cost a few hundreds. The damage he has done, if the worst happens and cannot be properly repaired to 'as new' will cost him circa £2000

Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 10.32.27.png

My new bike has been waiting at the dealers for a few weeks now. They want me to take delivery of it and have the SW Motech crash bars and other protection parts fitted first. It’s getting a bit frustrating now but this post has reassured me that I probably made the right decision. 

11 hours ago, husoi said:

True, but you would have a touring trip to enjoy and get the bars while you're there.

To add to it, the patisseries in Poland are second to none 😉

Its a pity they're not in the South of France... somewhere along the RDGA. :D

Poland isn't on my touring radar, probably in a couple of years, well maybe 

5 minutes ago, Pie man said:

So I could be eligible to pay a handling fee, along with 20% VAT and customs duty. ffs Brexit is really pissing me Off. Is it too late for me to apply for Irish Citizenship. 😂

I got stung on £300 worth of tools from Germany 

Ended up paying about £60 on top 

• Sad 1

Ordered my Heed bars on Monday night (11th), arrived at 0930 this morning (15th). Nothing extra to pay. So it would seem that Poland at least can cope with Brexit unlike others apparently. The total cost including all taxes and delivery charges was 177 euro. I'm happy.

Just have to fit them and that will have to wait until I'm at my son in laws place where I can use his garage etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, husoi said:

I buy lots of stuff from abroad, China mainly, and is still cheaper than if I would get it from UK suppliers

Won't buy anything from China if I can possibly avoid it. IMO buying stuff from them is like turkey's voting for Christmas.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Won't buy anything from China if I can possibly avoid it. IMO buying stuff from them is like turkey's voting for Christmas.

I don't like Christmas, only eat chicken and turkey's meat, no idea what IMO means and most stuff I got from China is as good as I expected and frequently better.

Considering that everything we buy will have at least 1 part made in China, can't see the issue.

Is China taking over the world? Yeah, but they are just replacing the Americans.

China only become the 2nd largest economy because westerners (me included) really like cheap stuff.

23 minutes ago, husoi said:

I don't like Christmas, only eat chicken and turkey's meat, no idea what IMO means and most stuff I got from China is as good as I expected and frequently better.

Considering that everything we buy will have at least 1 part made in China, can't see the issue.

Is China taking over the world? Yeah, but they are just replacing the Americans.

China only become the 2nd largest economy because westerners (me included) really like cheap stuff.

IMO = in my opinion 

• Thanks 1