Snatchy throttle

Crozzy

Hi and welcome the forum 

I have heard a few complaints about these bikes and apparently its due to them running very lean at low revs to meet emissions 

Remapping is supposed to help with it 

My Bobber was the same, I fitted a Booster Plug which makes the mix slightly richer at low throttle settings. It goes between the air intake sensor and the ECU and basically makes the ECU think it's running a bit cooler.

Totally transformed the low speed handling. They are made for a wide variety of bikes as many modern engines have the same issue. 

The z650 one will cost you about £120.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

I’m assuming this is a modern Z650? … if so then I also have a 2019 model. Does your bike have the genuine exhaust or an aftermarket system?  I’m asking because I’ve noticed that folks complaining on Facebook of snatchy  throttle also often seem to have aftermarket exhausts. 

I don’t find the throttle snatchy on my bike. But the chain does need to be adjusted and lubricated correctly.

The bikes do seem to be set to run lean. My exhaust headers now have a blue tinge. Which I don’t think is right. But they all seem to be like that. 

Thanks guys for all your suggestions, just to answer a few it’s a 2017 model standard exhaust the chain is regularly lubed and the tension is fine it’s always done it from nearly new it only had 1800 miles on the clock, I am waiting for a reply from the guy at Malton I was recommended.

• Like 1

I had the exact same problem with my tracer, it wasn't just annoying it was dangerous.  As has been said, it's because of how lean they run.  I wasn't sure about remapping but bit the bullet and had it done.  I'm glad to say that it definitely smoothed the throttle out and totally transformed the bike.  Not sure about the Kawasaki but worth looking into.

On 17/10/2021 at 10:48, manxie49 said:

I had the exact same problem with my tracer, it wasn't just annoying it was dangerous.  As has been said, it's because of how lean they run.  I wasn't sure about remapping but bit the bullet and had it done.  I'm glad to say that it definitely smoothed the throttle out and totally transformed the bike.  Not sure about the Kawasaki but worth looking into.

when you buy a new bike you expect it to be right and not have to go out spending more money to get it right you didnt have to do that twenty years ago stuff has got too complicated 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skyrider said:

when you buy a new bike you expect it to be right and not have to go out spending more money to get it right you didnt have to do that twenty years ago stuff has got too complicated 

It's to do with emissions regulations. The manufacturers have to set them up so lean that it causes this problem. I nearly got spat off the Bobber a few times at slow speeds before I fitted the booster plug. Rounabouts were particularly horrible, having the feather the clutch and throttle to get round without the back end jumping out.

• Like 1

The issue about the bikes being set to run lean is definitely correct. I’m on a Facebook group for the Z650 and some folks do complain of a snatchy throttle. And some sort it with a booster plug to make it run richer … however I don’t think it’s quite as straightforward as that. There are probably an equal number of posts from people that don’t find the throttle snatchy. And I don’t. As I’ve said in this thread. 

I have no idea if any two bikes are actually different. Or if this difference is down to riding style?  … the only time my Z650 has felt snatchy the chain needed adjusting. So I would be checking that. And I would also check and reduce any free play with the throttle cable. 

4 hours ago, Davidtav said:

The issue about the bikes being set to run lean is definitely correct. I’m on a Facebook group for the Z650 and some folks do complain of a snatchy throttle. And some sort it with a booster plug to make it run richer … however I don’t think it’s quite as straightforward as that. There are probably an equal number of posts from people that don’t find the throttle snatchy. And I don’t. As I’ve said in this thread. 

I have no idea if any two bikes are actually different. Or if this difference is down to riding style?  … the only time my Z650 has felt snatchy the chain needed adjusting. So I would be checking that. And I would also check and reduce any free play with the throttle cable. 

This is why I suggested speaking to John Warrington in Malton as he has a dyno and can map and set up the bike to run correctly.

I have no doubt boost plugs work for some but if you go to the trouble of having it set up correctly you potentially avoid disappointment.

Oh and the tea ain`t bad.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 22:22, Ian Frog said:

Good luck and keep us informed if he can help as our experiences help others, and show us some pics of the snatch please

Cheers

Ian

:shock:

• Haha 2