Honda Africa Twin 2019

DJP

I got this on long(er) term loan after my Bandit 1250 went in for repair.

585065161_AfricaTwin1400.thumb.jpg.65153bf4834d1e10b7b48fc198374657.jpg

First impressions: The Africa Twin is one tall motorcycle. I'm 6'1” and with its 870mm seat height it's a challenge even for me to get my leg over (f'narr, f'narr). But once in the saddle, it's a different story: The saddle is plush and comfortable, the riding position wonderfully spacious for the taller rider and I can quite easily get both feet down flat. (And I'm sure that shorter riders would be fine too, although getting on and off might be precarious).

I was also surprised to read that the Africa Twin has a claimed weight of 232kg because it feels way lighter than that just pushing it around and on the move it's very nicely balanced and hides its weight extremely well.

The controls are logical and well laid out, although the digital dash is a bit busy for my taste (but then most of them are). And the slipper clutch and gearbox are superb, although the clutch lever itself seems a tad short: I don't exactly have massive hands but my little finger seems to keep ending up on the ball-end rather than fitting into the usual part of the lever, but that's a minor gripe. Being a modern bike of course the Africa Twin has various traction control riding modes. And being an old fashioned biker, of course, I turned them off..

The engine is pretty much the opposite to what I'd expected from a modern 1000cc twin: At the bottom end it has neither torque nor refinement, requires a surprising amount of revs to pull away cleanly and is surprisingly vibratory. That said, it's brisk enough short shifting at 4,000rpm that it leaves most traffic in it's wake, without ever feeling like it's doing much. The refinement does improve with speed but even at 80mph in top it's still not exactly smooth. And that's a shame because the Africa Twin has the almost perfect touring chassis, capable of covering hundreds of miles a day in comfort. Except that I can't see many people wanting to do that kind of mileage sitting on top of that engine.

And there's the problem: If you approach this motor as you expect it should be, in this chassis, it's a bit rubbish.

However, if you grab it by the scruff of its neck and rev the motor towards the red line then it changes dramatically. And there it is: The top third of the rev-range is where the magic happens, the motor smooths out and the bike makes for the horizon at an indecent pace. And the noise... Lordy! Proper motorbike noise. Brrrrmmm! Brrrrmmm! And, as you roll off the throttle a hugely satisfying pop, pop, bang, bang on the overrun. Seriously, this is the best sounding standard motorcycle engine I've heard in probably decades.

But it wants to be revved and it wants to be thrashed. And therein lies the problem: The tall, spindly chassis is clearly optimised for off-road use. The riding position and comfort are clearly optimised for touring use. And the engine is clearly optimised for sports bike use.

It's like nun and a 12” dildo – they're both great at what they do, they just don't go together. But maybe, just now and again, it would be hilarious if they did. And that's what the Africa Twin is really all about. On the face of it, it's an “Adventure” bike. In reality, it's a hooligan bike pretending to be sensible. And there's nowt wrong with that.

It's an interesting and fun machine for sure. I'm just not sure who it's really aimed at.

Edited by DJP
  • Like 4

I enjoyed that, though at times I really did wonder if you’re talking about the same bike I own. Though mine is taller. A big plus and why the standard bike was of no use to me. Honda sold 87000 of them up to 9/19. So, that’s a lot of buyers who thought it was aimed at them.

I do wonder what the reaction on the forums and groups would be to your description of that instrument of torture that’s cleverly disguised as a seat. It’s by far and away the biggest source of complaint. I got shut of mine within weeks.

of course you didn’t mention the biggest downside of that particular bike. You didn’t experience it so….  I had no intention of ever experiencing it and so paid £2,500 to avoid the pain and anguish. (A Bargain as it turns out, made easier by the almost £1500 discount I got on the bike…. The joys of paying cash)

if you think the standard bike sounds good, you should hear mine with its scorpion exhaust and the baffle out. Not bad for an oversized scooter. I don’t have to worry about the clutch lever. It’s missing.

• Like 3

It's different strokes for different folks, I guess. In fairness, I should point out that I don't go off road and this isn't the kind of bike that I'd ever buy. Also, my criticisms would probably apply to most big twins rather than to the Africa Twin specifically.

Don't get me wrong: It's good fun and I'm enjoing it, but I really don't "Get" this bike.

I am much perplexed!🤣

• Like 1

I had the same feeling when I gave the bike a test ride. But I just don't understand parallel twins; they're a mystery to me. I guess there's a way of riding them that I've not discovered.

• Like 2

Took my ATAS for a ride out to the Shropshire Worcestershire borders today by the River Severn.

Bikes are a very personal thing I've come from a tracer 900 to this very different engine but this bike does a lot of stuff very well bit of a Swiss army knife. I found it easy to ride the only thing is just having to remember it has a 21" front wheel so need to set the bike up a little more precisely on the bends. 3k miles in and all seems well. Looking forward to some decent jaunts in 2022

IMG_20211016_151221.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bonio said:

I had the same feeling when I gave the bike a test ride. But I just don't understand parallel twins; they're a mystery to me. I guess there's a way of riding them that I've not discovered.

You’re obviously a far more technically advanced rider than me. Whether I ride my V4, parallel twin or single I ride them like I ride any motorcycle. I have to make adjustments for the most powerful having 10x more power and a whole heap more torque than the smallest with the twin fitting somewhere in between but that’s not rocket science. The configuration of the engine is oretty irrelevant to be honest. 

• Like 1

I coped with a 'decent jaunt' down to the Dolomites last year.. and on to the Czech Republic (for an hour. or was it two?)

By the time I had reached Passo Giau en route to Cortina, I had done 1437 miles from my front door. and with no issues whatsoever.

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

And it coped just as well in Ireland this year.

BA8C7536-4D73-4303-B838-21CAF11994AD.thumb.jpeg.5e9b1f53d12ff9fe30c798404c59f3a1.jpeg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

Two great locations. I doubt I'll get chance next year to do Czech by bike but hopefully 2023 a tour over to see friends in Prague and olamutz. Ireland is on the possibles list for next year maybe ring of Kerry and Skellig.

4 hours ago, bonio said:

It's similar for me. I instinctively drive every vehicle where it's smoothest. My main bike is a Bandit 1250 and its “Smooth zone” coincides with any road legal speed and well beyond. I like it.

For a while I owned an MT07, another parallel twin. Very different to the Bandit, but even so its “Smooth zone” coincides with most road legal speeds and so it was easy to ride.

But the Africa Twin engine is different: Gutless and vibratory at most road legal speeds, it only seems to make sense when you're thrashing it. Fun at times, but day-to-day just not for me.

I have never heard anyone describe these bikes as “gutless”. Sorry, but that’s just bizarre. It’s a word that just never gets used. Before this bike I had an R1100GS and the Twin beats it in every measurement aside from cc. Peak torque is higher at  a 750rpm lower engine speed than the GS!! Power is higher. So if the twin is gutless that what does that make the GS? Which was described back in the day as a torque monster!!  Riding the two bikes back to back the difference in performance was very obvious. I held on to the GS in case I didn’t get on with the Twin, but after a week or two I stopped riding it completely.

you must have had a bad one. Something is definitely not right if you think it’s “gutless”.

1 minute ago, Gerontious said:

I have never heard anyone describe these bikes as “gutless”. Sorry, but that’s just bizarre. It’s a word that just never gets used. Before this bike I had an R1100GS and the Twin beats it in every measurement aside from cc. Peak torque is higher at  a 750rpm lower engine speed than the GS!! Power is higher. So if the twin is gutless that what does that make the GS? Which was described back in the day as a torque monster!!  Riding the two bikes back to back the difference in performance was very obvious. I held on to the GS in case I didn’t get on with the Twin, but after a week or two I stopped riding it completely.

you must have had a bad one. Something is definitely not right if you think it’s “gutless”.

Im confused too. I’ve not ridden one but every ride report I’ve read has praised the AT’s engine. I will be at the Honda dealer on Tuesday or Wednesday I might have to see if I can arrange a ride. 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, or maybe I've been spoilt by the Bandit 1250 (which really is a torque monster) but I just expected a modern 1,000cc twin to have more bottom end, especially when it doesn't exactly have that much up top.

I dunno, I haven't ridden many big twins. Maybe they're all like that? Either way, they're not my cup of tea.

1 hour ago, DJP said:

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, or maybe I've been spoilt by the Bandit 1250 (which really is a torque monster) but I just expected a modern 1,000cc twin to have more bottom end, especially when it doesn't exactly have that much up top.

I dunno, I haven't ridden many big twins. Maybe they're all like that? Either way, they're not my cup of tea.

Yorkshire tea for me or a nice assam

Well, I've put another few hundred miles on the Africa Twin and I've gotta say it's starting to grow on me. I seem to have found the sweet spot and while it'll never be inline-four smooth, it can be made to thrum along quite happily. And, when I'm in the mood, it can be made to perform most amusingly.

So yeah it's fun. And I still love the riding position, the clutch and the gearbox.

But my biggest gripe with this bike is the price: The Yamaha Tracer 900 and Triumph Tiger 1050 both offer more performance and refinement, in a similar package, for a lot less money. Indeed, the Tracer is some £3,500 less than even the base model Africa Twin. And while I've no doubt that the Africa Twin is more off-road capable than the others, how many adventure bike owners actually take their bikes off road?

Dunno, maybe I'm missing the point again but it seems to me that if you like this kind of bike, you can still get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

I'd be interested to hear an owner's view of this.

Edited by DJP
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, DJP said:

Well, I've put another few hundred miles on the Africa Twin and I've gotta say it's starting to grow on me. I seem to have found the sweet spot and while it'll never be inline-four smooth, it can be made to thrum along quite happily. And, when I'm in the mood, it can be made to perform most amusingly.

So yeah it's fun. And I still love the riding position, the clutch and the gearbox.

But my biggest gripe with this bike is the price: The Yamaha Tracer 900 and Triumph Tiger 1050 both offer more performance and refinement, in a similar package, for a lot less money. Indeed, the Tracer is some £3,500 less than even the base model Africa Twin. And while I've no doubt that the Africa Twin is more off-road capable than the others, how many adventure bike owners actually take their bikes off road?

Dunno, maybe I'm missing the point again but it seems to me that if you like this kind of bike, you can still get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

I'd be interested to hear an owner's view of this.

Interesting to see your thoughts I came from a tracer 900gt to the Twin I have the adventure sports es manual. Yes the tracer is an amazing bike sublime engine. However for 2 up touring fully loaded the tracer wasn't really up to it, suspension although I adjusted it front and rear was never up for 2 up touring. The weight limit was quite low I'm quite tall and average weight so is the wife. The AT was so easy to get used to lots of tech and suspension is really spot on I notice no difference with 2 up touring and a touch of the screen the suspension can be altered. It's a true packhorse with the weight it can carry. It was a big step up in price 18k bike but it does everything commute, fun blasts out touring. I intend to keep this one as it's a perfect fit, I have the plus model the panniers and top box are large and fit everything in, the 24.5l tank means I can get up to 350 miles between fills, ancillary lights the DRLs and cornering lights make it great on country Lanes at night and in bad weather. The AS model is more road orientated but fine on gravel and sandy tracks. For me it does all I need however if I was solo riding the Tracer would have been perfect. Yamaha really need to consider an adventure sports 900 model for that engine with no super tenere now they are missing out on a big chunk of the market. The 700 has proved it's worth in the tenere, tracer xsr and mt07. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1