What have I bought? Is it a HONDA CG125?

I recently passed my CBT (UK) and bought my first bike, which is a HONDA CG125 2001...apparently. 

On the bikes DVLA papers from the former owner and on the bike frame itself, the VIN is only 11 digits long and starts with CE125. I know this is too short, and I wondered what the reason might be?

Also, on the frame, the VIN is marked as CG125, not CE125, although the following numbers are the same.

The DVLA papers also say the 'bike model' is a CT125!!?  The bike doesn't look like a CT model, and I can't figure out why it's registered as one?

The DVLA papers register the 'body type' as a 'Scooter Combination'. Is this normal? 

After riding the bike, I found that the gear system worked differently, as it only has four gears, and the top option on the gear lever is neutral, and you press down for gears 1-4. You also have a back lever to come down in gear (see in pictures). I know this isn't standard on most CGs, but I'm aware there are specific older models and models manufactured in other countries that have this (i.e., Brazil, Japan, Pakistan).

The bike passed its last MOT.

Any help would be great. I've searched the VIN number in online databases and have had no look as it's not 17 digits. I've also looked at the Honda bike registry and can't seem to match any information to a specific model or year.

a1 image7.jpeg

a1 image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image0 (1).jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

1 minute ago, Justboughtabike said:

@Six30 What part should confuse me more? I'm new to bikes so I'm not exactly what sure is normal and what is not...

probably the bit that  says its an automatic estate car.... 

thats just a free check any one can do... you can pay for  a proper hpi check and see what it comes back with.

Just now, Justboughtabike said:

@Six30 @Bender

I already done the check online but just paid for the HPI check, and it is alerting me about the '  VIN may not be unique ' so I need to figure out why that is. Other than that, it didn't flag much or tel me anymore info

I really wouldn't put that much effort into it. 

The only part I recognise from a cg125 on it is the carb, and possibly the headlight

Gov.UK does list it as registered 2001, but the bodywork is not from a 2001 version.

The gear change is someone's idea, it should just be the front part. 

Look online for a site that gives info on engine/vin number definitions, put in the engine number and see what you have 

Don't listen to this lot . It's a CG 125 . The only thing I can see that's altered is that someone has painted the engine and mudguard black .

Screenshot_20211018-013640.png

Edited by fastbob

It's a CG and more than likely a Turkish model just before they did a tank change and added electric start on the later 2002 onwards model. Purely based on my own research as the Turkish model was the only one to have the square headlight, but it is possible that could have been changed during the course of it's life, in which case it could be a Brazil model originally fitted with a round headlight.

This was my CG125 nostalgia which was 2001 registered:

20210704_153444.thumb.jpg.fb732d4676b1a2b2bcab1f8c6cbe346d.jpg

20210704_153742.thumb.jpg.4882ad10eeee9012fdee6c34ee268867.jpg

If you have a look about, these were imported in 1997 (I think) and not registered until later.

Yours is spot on except for the iffy painting and the seat.

• Like 1

Bike manufacturers have been known to use up any and every part going, if it's registered correctly with Dvla, its a 125 it is still the same bike you bought, unless there is an issue with anything Dvla holds, for the value of it I would do what I said earlier, tax, insure, ride. 

7 hours ago, fastbob said:

Don't listen to this lot . It's a CG 125 . The only thing I can see that's altered is that someone has painted the engine and mudguard black .

Screenshot_20211018-013640.png

Good find, FB, I looked on a lot of sites last night but never found anything to match OPs'  bike

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Bike manufacturers have been known to use up any and every part going, if it's registered correctly with Dvla, its a 125 it is still the same bike you bought, unless there is an issue with anything Dvla holds, for the value of it I would do what I said earlier, tax, insure, ride. 

That would be exactly my advice too. Get it on the road and enjoy it. 

• Like 1