buying brake pads

Sk93

there are some very annoying grinding sounds starting to come from my front whilst braking.

I know, I know, I should've changed them long before this, but it slipped my mind.

Anyone recommend a good place to get brake pads for a '98 ZX6R from?

I mean... Do halfords sell em for example?

I'd prefer to go to a place and collect, rather than get them delivered (meaning I can do them this weekend..)

Also.. I absolutely hate changing pads on the car... Is it still as much of a ballache on the bike, or, as they're smaller, is it easier?)

should be easy---undo the retaining bolt --put in screwdriver to force pistons back--slip them out

put some grease on reverse of new pads and push in until you feel them 'slot' into place--replace retaining bolt

buy from a bike shop-different types for different bikes-don't think Halfords do bike pads

should be easy---undo the retaining bolt --put in screwdriver to force pistons back--slip them out

put some grease on reverse of new pads and push in until you feel them 'slot' into place--replace retaining bolt

buy from a bike shop-different types for different bikes-don't think Halfords do bike pads

this bit being the bit I get the most annoyed with on cars (especially the older ones..)

I'm assuming that because of the lower levels of fluid in the system, and smaller distance to the fluid tank, it'll be much easier to push the pistons back in?

Also.. bike shops.. Some good ones in Nottingham area please anyone?

(Admin / Mods - Can we build up a google-map of all "good" places for bikes? Mot stations, servicing, dealerships, shops.. etc? - I don't mind "running" it fo you if that makes any difference to the answer? :D)

yeah the reason to push back pistons is so new 'thicker' pads will fit--it doesn't take much to move.

soz can't help on shops--where's Nottingham--oh yeah someone told me once but forgot--sherrif of, hood guy, castle, lots of drinking and quite high on gun crime list isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

--best to Google your area to see where they are

hehe,.. I know HOW / WHY to do it... just HATE doing it :P

I've googled for some shops, but the most I get are dealers :/

Someone must have bought some pads in or around the O.K corral of England...

well they will have them--if not in stock for your bike will get them--I get mine from ebay or our local shop--there are also places on the net to order from

i tryed to push my pistons back like that , never worked , i had to get a pair of them expanding plyers and twist the piston and it went back on its own then,,, tokk me ages to work it out as i was told to lever back with a screwy as well.

well.. I've done it.. lol

and it's just as much a pain as on the car :lol:

Ended up getting some EBC double H pads... read they were pretty good, so...

The pistons were the bit that gave me the upmost grief... pushing in with the screwdriver worked on one..

the gap and design of the calipers stopped me using a pair of g-clamps on the old pads.. (a trick I use for the car).

eventually got the pistons in by hammering a wooden wedge between the old pads till they moved..

pain in the bum.. but done..