Electric "bicycles"

PaulCa

I am coming to the opinion that us motorcyclists need to maybe step in and advise the up and coming electrically powered bicycles.

Sure, the stated 250W limit is fine, for actual bicycles with a hub motor, but there are loop holes via the CBT route, and imported or custom goods, allowing motor specs similar to a 125cc.... however if a 125cc can deliver, say 14.8bhp at 7,000rpm.  An electric motor can produce that torque flat from 0 RPM all the way to it's limited speed.  That's a frighteningly fast bike.  14.8hp at 200rpm is a LOT of torque.  Under 3 second 0-60 times.  On a CBT.

So the lines are blurring.  I'm seeing custom 'bicycles' boasting 4kw and higher.  That's 5 or 6hp, but with a solid torque curve from 0 rpm to near max rpm, it does 30-40-50mph.   Yet it looks like a mountain bike with tundra tires.  Of course it has pedals and of course the rider has no gear on.  It has flimsy cycling forks, frame, brakes, normal bicycle spoked wheels.  

That said.  Coming 'from' PTUs, some of them do sound like a right blast of fun.  I'd be wearing my helmet and gear though.

https://urbanebikes.com/collections/electric-motorbikes

I had a prick on an e bike doing nearly 40mph few weeks back, that was without pedalling,  I couldn't catch him from standstill in me van, it was bloody quick of the mark, huge battery down the upright there was no hub motor so I presume it was direct drive to or through the sprocket. 

Either grey import or fiddled with. 

One of the first things that struck me, pun intended, when I started motorcycling.  Is just how hard the impact is when you hit a recessed drain cover at 50mph.  It was around then I realised why motorbike frames and forks are huge compared to my mountain bike.  I wouldn't want to hit too many of those a 50mph on a bicycle, not least one with a 30kg batter and a 10kg motor strapped to it between my legs.  I've done 47mph on a mountain bike and the counter-steering force required to lean it into a tight corner is enough to flex the wheels.  It's not fun.

Edited by PaulCa
typos
  • Like 1

I think unrestricted e-bike use will end in tears as the bikes when "tweaked" are not physically robust enough to sustain the forces created by an +85 kg rider travelling at speeds up to 40 mph. Something is going to break and the results won't be pretty.

• Like 1

I looked down the list of bikes if I have it right, this is suitable for 16 year olds…
https://urbanebikes.com/collections/super-soco/products/super-soco-tc

Now that would be a ideal starter for my daughter.

But it’s allot of money for a year..

Then one of these would do me nicely for a commuter…

https://urbanebikes.com/collections/electric-motorbikes/products/tc-max-62mph-deposit

I just cannot justify the price when it’s worth more than both my bikes…

10 hours ago, onesea said:

I looked down the list of bikes if I have it right, this is suitable for 16 year olds…

https://urbanebikes.com/collections/electric-motorbikes/products/tc-max-62mph-deposit

At least those look like proper motorbikes rather than pedalbikes with power assist.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, onesea said:

The super socos seem quite decent but the range is still an issue I'm sure they will develop in the coming years. Its a good sales ploy to drip feed improved range to keep people upgrading! We have some nissan leafs at work the originals had lousy range the amusement in the winter of having to switch the heater and any ancillaries off to get back to base!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PaulCa said:

I am coming to the opinion that us motorcyclists need to maybe step in and advise the up and coming electrically powered bicycles.

Sure, the stated 250W limit is fine, for actual bicycles with a hub motor, but there are loop holes via the CBT route, and imported or custom goods, allowing motor specs similar to a 125cc.... however if a 125cc can deliver, say 14.8bhp at 7,000rpm.  An electric motor can produce that torque flat from 0 RPM all the way to it's limited speed.  That's a frighteningly fast bike.  14.8hp at 200rpm is a LOT of torque.  Under 3 second 0-60 times.  On a CBT.

So the lines are blurring.  I'm seeing custom 'bicycles' boasting 4kw and higher.  That's 5 or 6hp, but with a solid torque curve from 0 rpm to near max rpm, it does 30-40-50mph.   Yet it looks like a mountain bike with tundra tires.  Of course it has pedals and of course the rider has no gear on.  It has flimsy cycling forks, frame, brakes, normal bicycle spoked wheels.  

That said.  Coming 'from' PTUs, some of them do sound like a right blast of fun.  I'd be wearing my helmet and gear though.

https://urbanebikes.com/collections/electric-motorbikes

I saw a video on you tube of the Zero CBT legal bike it was frightening how quick it was off the line hitting 70 in no time. Ok they are ridiculously expensive but it's worrying thinking that prices will eventually come down and 17 year olds would be able to afford and ride them. I think there will have to be a big shake up around motorcycle legislation as electric bikes become more affordable to the masses.

Did anyone see the Guy Martin program where he pinged himself off the back of an electric bike? gave it a handful of throttle & didn’t expect it to launch with such venom - luckily he was wearing decent gear.

3 hours ago, Mickly said:

Did anyone see the Guy Martin program where he pinged himself off the back of an electric bike? gave it a handful of throttle & didn’t expect it to launch with such venom - luckily he was wearing decent gear.

I didn't see it but I know how he feels.  I had a blast on my mates e-bike,  very nearly stuffed it into a hedge ..... You'd never believe, seeing me on that, that I'd been riding motorbikes since I was 14!  Some power in that there throttle!

3 hours ago, PaulCa said:

On a slightly related topic, this just came up in my YouTube feed.   That'll fix rush hour traffic rightly.... until there is more than one of them anyway.

I now know what I want for Christmas! Awesome toy.

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

I now know what I want for Christmas! Awesome toy.

Just wait for the first SW Gale people will be running out of power somewhere in the North Sea…
Although they do look fun.

2 hours ago, onesea said:

Just wait for the first SW Gale people will be running out of power somewhere in the North Sea…
Although they do look fun.

Think they've only got about 20 minutes endurance so unless you start on an east coast beach you should be okay. Mind you at over 90k I sadly don't think I'll be able to afford one.

9 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Think they've only got about 20 minutes endurance so unless you start on an east coast beach you should be okay. Mind you at over 90k I sadly don't think I'll be able to afford one.

Just get four drones and a wicker chair😄

Edited by billy sugger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I agree with PaulCa

have three Electric bikes  two i keep at my caravan both 250 watt hub motors ,

they will both do about 20mph they have throttles so you don,t need to pedal

I also have a  Big Cat.  electric bike which is  fitted with a 1500 watt hub motor and will do just over 30mph its faster to 30

than my friends CB honda 125 .

With out peddling i will try and put a pic up if i can get the pics from my phone to my pc ,in fact might easier to download forum

on to my phone 

On 23/10/2021 at 14:26, PaulCa said:

On a slightly related topic, this just came up in my YouTube feed.   That'll fix rush hour traffic rightly.... until there is more than one of them anyway.

"Sphere-abouts" could be interesting.