Any suggestions?

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of trying to get my full bike licence. I've done my CBT last year, had a 125 day on my own bike with my riding school so they could see if I was ready for the next step of getting on the 650 and mod 1 practice. The day went fine but was a bit nervous mainly as I a can't totally relax as I know someone is watching me etc.

Went to do the first 650 day total disaster. Basically forgot how to ride a bike 😐 even the smallest thing like where natural is! I couldn't relax as I knew the instructor was behind me and watching me which is their job so can't help that. But knowing someone was watching me and trying to help with pointers the worst I got and I never finished the day. Which was fair enough as I wasn't comfortable on the bigger bike.

Any pointers on how to A) stop worrying about the instructor B) Best advice for moving onto the bigger bike.

Thanks

Tough one. It's anxiety. Lots of techniques online might help but you might just need more time on the bike. Its the same as what you have been riding but largely easier in many ways. Don't over think it (easier said than done ). Spend some time visualising riding it well and book more practice, maybe several shorter sessions (less chance to get frustrated). You will get there!

My guess is your problem is having the instructor behind you, more than anything else? If so, perhaps some shorter sessions with the school would help, like @goat suggested. Just to get used to the idea of someone behind you all the time. 

Alternatively, look around for another instructor, one who puts you more at ease. Some instructors do this naturally, others don't have the same gift. If you wanted to do this, might be an idea to tip up at the school and chat to those that are about.

Edited by bonio

Funnily enough I was talking about this to a student today!

it’s a vicious circle, your instructor is being paid and has trained to find constructive and useful criticism, so that’s his/her job. However nobody likes being looked at! The two clash.

I always notice it the most when we’re out on the road ride on CBT, we find a quiet side street to practice U turns.

however the student can sometimes get a bit stressed and perhaps put a foot down. Weirdly if I turn my back to talk to another student, just for a moment, the first student then does a perfect U turn!

it is definitely a psychological ‘thing’ 

All I can suggest is build up even more time before you go for a full test, and plenty of miles.

There really is no rush doing this. 
Obviously, having an instructor who is aware of this problem can help a little, I always ALWAYS try to put my students at ease, perhaps having a laugh etc.

At the end of the day, it’s a full Mod1 and Mod2 your after, and if you think some instructors are off putting, wait till you get in front of the examiner! 
(which is something you didn’t want to hear! Lol)

Its possibly the most stressful thing you’ll do, more so than a car test, getting married or buying a house!

So build up your time and don’t rush it.

x

• Like 2