Bike Horn

medtec

Right guys need some help my ZX6 needs MOT'd in July however my horn has stopped working and its something i know absolutly nowt about.

I have tried to find a fault finder list thing online that could help me fix it but no joy.

Does anyone have one or know what could be problem im assuming the electrics for horn are very basic ie- button - wires - horn but dont know how to get into bracket on handlebar to check connections

im guessing wire has become worn or corroded as dont see the actual horn unit just stopping..

I know may seem like a simple question but this has been eluding me for a few weeks now................

(and ill be honest not actually looked at bike yet was tryng to find fault finder first)

Help gratefully received

James

Check powers getting to it as Yorbie said ...

If push comes to shove, get a new one ...

Should be easy enough to wire in - there's only a few leads to 'em :wink:

it could simply be a loose wire-- does everything else work ok? cos could be a small fuse blown

if all else fails get one of these 8)

http://th218.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/Elginator/th_Horn.jpg

Disconnect the horn, two wires straight from the battery to the + and - of the horn, if it beeps its your wiring, if it doesnt its the horn itself. I know this has already been said ( yorbandit) but I thought this might be a better explaination :wink:

I just had this problem with my zx6. Turned out to be a corroded spade connector and wire on the horn above the front wheel. 5 min job to fix.

Guest nigelf

bananas bananas bananas bananas bananas

the hooter is probably corroded (inside) most hooters have a little adjusting screw on out side, near terminals. So screw it in and out ( a little ) while pressing the hooter button and generally it will sound!

Adjust the screw for best sound.

Nigel

fixed mine on my zx6 only a few weeks ago...

where the two wires come out from under the fuel tank, they're connected to the horn with two SHITE connectors..

they corroded to the point of non-function on my bike...

strip em off.. replace with some nicer connectors (halfords will do).. bit of WD40.. slide em on.. and bobs your uncle.

at least.. that's what it took for mine..

but as others have said.. check a direct lead to the horn from the battery.. eliminating the switch / wires.

if that works, then check those connectors first.. if they're good.. check the switch, as I'm told they're known to go too...

bananas bananas bananas bananas bananas

the hooter is probably corroded (inside) most hooters have a little adjusting screw on out side, near terminals. So screw it in and out ( a little ) while pressing the hooter button and generally it will sound!

Adjust the screw for best sound.

Nigel

THATS what that screws for!!! Nice one

as others have said

it probably a bad connection on the horn the horn is right at the front above the wheel so gets covered in road crap and the connections will just corrode

Nothing else i can really add.

Am guessing its just a job of cleaning up the connections on the horn and the wires.

IF its the horn that has gone or you just want a new one i would recommend one of these...

I have one on the R6, not as loud as i was hoping but its still sooooo much better than the standard horn and is a 10 min jobby to fit it.