Amazon

Gerontious

Just had an email and they are ending acceptance of Visa cards!!  Cant see me using them much now as I tend to use my Visa card a lot for larger purchases.  buy just after statement day and then Ive two months to pay it off without paying interest. (I hate paying interest)

seems a bit idiotic for such a wealthy company.. but it is how it is.

• Like 1

Yes, Had the same email.  I thought VISA were stopped from charging for transactions?  Or was that just on travel?  Can't remember now I just know I heard something about it.  I quite liked the protection that came with visa so will now have to consider my options.

I haven't received an email and that's how I pay for all my stuff from Amazon. If they won't accept payment from that then I won't be updating the account.

To be honest I've considered ditching Amazon Prime for a while now, very little on it worth watching and most of what I buy doesn't qualify for Prime delivery anyway.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

Annoyingly i had 2 Barclay cards. One Visa and one mastercard so if either had a problem the other card would work. Then Barclaycard stopped using mastercard so i now have 2 visa barclaycards. 🙄

21 minutes ago, JRH said:

Annoyingly i had 2 Barclay cards. One Visa and one mastercard so if either had a problem the other card would work. Then Barclaycard stopped using mastercard so i now have 2 visa barclaycards. 🙄

Ditto. Apparently they will accept Visa debit cards. Also they are forever pushing me to have one of their cards which just happens to be a Mastercard. Personally I smell a rat.

99% of what I buy is kindle books when I'm away. Suspect I'll continue to do so but use my debit card. Doubt I'll buy anything else from them though on a point of principal and I'm a stubborn bast*rd.

• Like 1

If it is to do with the fees that visa are charging then maybe its them making a stance against visa and maybe this is what a lot of other companies will start to do. 

I don't think your beef is with amazon but actually with visa for increasing fees 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Seems strange that Amazon will accept Amex as they have historically, along with Diners Card, charged much more than Visa  and Master Card. There are still many places that don’t take Amex due to the high transaction charge.
I never found any one who would take Diners when I had one as a company credit card. 🙄

• Like 1

Bit of both to be honest and I suspect it's going to rumble on a bit. Visa are in the wrong to increase the fees to retailers just because they can. Especially as with the discouragement of cash thanks to covid they must have made millions more than they expected. But Amazon are in the wrong to dictate what credit card customers may use especially as they are pushing folks to have their in-house Mastercard. Doesn't seem particularly ethical to me in either parties case.

• Like 2

They are ONLY ending the ability to use Visa CREDIT cards, not debit cards. I have a feeling that Visa global will step in and get this resolved, as Visa UK have been taking the pi$$ for many years now.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

Its not necessarily Amazon that the VISA charges are affecting but rather the sellers that are getting hit. 

It seems they are looking after them. 

I'd guesstimate that 90% of the things I buy from amazon are in fact bought from amazon, not 3rd party. Actually probably more. 

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Ha! I see Amazon have backed down. I knew me cancelling my account with them would bring them to their knees. 

I haven't bought anything from Amazon since I got that email. I now usually only use them when they offer me a free (for a month) prime membership. which (as if by magic) they are offering me now.

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 09.53.22.png

• Like 2

I'm patiently waiting for them to offer me another audible (audio books) deal.

Last year I got offered half price for 6 months so £3.99 for a book a month.

I won't pay full price on the principal of it used to be 2 books a month you'd get and they knocked it down to 1 book and kept the same monthly fee :roll: