Repair advice

Piping

What the insurance company doesn't see the insurance company doesn't need to know about... I've bought some second hand stanchions and a couple of other bits, when it's light I'll go out again and look at the head stock (not entirely sure what that is) not that I know how.

• Like 1

Do you think further damage is likely? What other components could be damaged? In particular do you think the rest of my fork legs could be damaged meaning I shouldn't just swap in the replacement stanchions? Is the head stock the same as the head bearings?

2 hours ago, Piping said:

Do you think further damage is likely? What other components could be damaged? In particular do you think the rest of my fork legs could be damaged meaning I shouldn't just swap in the replacement stanchions? Is the head stock the same as the head bearings?

This is the Head Stock . You don't have much of a frame on your particular bike because the engine is used as a stressed member . Check for cracks at the frame attachment points on the engine . 

Screenshot_20211122-211044.png

I've just had a good look with a torch but can't see any cracks. The rim is ever so slightly bent, I don't see how that be a huge safety issue. I should be getting a mobile tomorrow and the parts so will be able to take good pics. Anyone think swapping the stanchions in to my fork legs could be problematic (either because my fork legs are compromised or because the work is beyond my capability)? I wouldn't have thought they're compromised but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

You might want to buy or borrow an impact wrench and a suitable attachment for using an Allen Bit socket . If the cartridges do spin , the curvature of the forks may well prevent the use of the correct tool . The use of a vise and suitable bits of wood might prove to be advantageous as well .   Please be aware that this advice is based on fork building in general and is not specific to the CBF 500 . 

Edited by fastbob

7 hours ago, fastbob said:

You might want to buy or borrow an impact wrench and a suitable attachment for using an Allen Bit socket . If the cartridges do spin , the curvature of the forks may well prevent the use of the correct tool . The use of a vise and suitable bits of wood might prove to be advantageous as well .   Please be aware that this advice is based on fork building in general and is not specific to the CBF 500 . 

The CBF500 forks are pretty bog standard so that advice works for them. 

When I looked at the original pictures I wondered if the wheel rim was bent. That's actually a bigger issue in my opinion. Alloy doesn't deform easily so if it's had a sufficient impact to leave a deformation I'd look for a replacement wheel. Steel is malleable enough that you can get away with small dents, alloys are different.

5 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

The CBF500 forks are pretty bog standard so that advice works for them. 

When I looked at the original pictures I wondered if the wheel rim was bent. That's actually a bigger issue in my opinion. Alloy doesn't deform easily so if it's had a sufficient impact to leave a deformation I'd look for a replacement wheel. Steel is malleable enough that you can get away with small dents, alloys are different.

As anyone who has ever tried to straighten a bent lever will testify . 

I think I'll have a pair of CBF600 forks in my possession tomorrow, I had been looking at a CBF500 spares/repairs eBay auction but fell asleep and missed it which was f**king annoying. Do you think there's anything else that I ought to do whilst the suspension is dismantled (to fit my stanchions into my CBF500 fork legs), bushes, seals etc (I have no idea if anything in my fork legs will be damaged by either the accident, by being dismantled, or whether there could be pre-existing issues/worn bits)? Surely I'll have to at least replace the oil as the forks haven't been used for a long time. It's a bit annoying I still don't have a replacement yoke... Anyone have any idea how much someone should charge to sort out the forks for me and get me up and running? Thanks a lot for the advice.

7 hours ago, Piping said:

I think I'll have a pair of CBF600 forks in my possession tomorrow, I had been looking at a CBF500 spares/repairs eBay auction but fell asleep and missed it which was f**king annoying. Do you think there's anything else that I ought to do whilst the suspension is dismantled (to fit my stanchions into my CBF500 fork legs), bushes, seals etc (I have no idea if anything in my fork legs will be damaged by either the accident, by being dismantled, or whether there could be pre-existing issues/worn bits)? Surely I'll have to at least replace the oil as the forks haven't been used for a long time. It's a bit annoying I still don't have a replacement yoke... Anyone have any idea how much someone should charge to sort out the forks for me and get me up and running? Thanks a lot for the advice.

You're too far from me I'm afraid. But I'd certainly refurbish the forks before fitting them. If you can't do it yourself go to a local independent as with the forks off the bike the labour charges will be hugely reduced. The parts are peanuts.

If the front wheel is damaged that needs checking carefully either get it replaced or if possible professionally straightened and check for an indent in the headraces as a whack that hard on the forks put a dent in the race and you will notice it when the bars are turned side to side.