Negotiating hairpin bend

Davidtav

11 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Back in day when I did my training (which included avoiding stray dinosaurs) the instructor made a point of teaching us to use the rear brake during slow tight manoeuvres. 

I've seen a few posts recently that suggest this is no longer taught. At least some younger riders don't seem to aware of it 

Is that the case?

Not with mine, but he was a dinosaur 

2 hours ago, keith1200rs said:

I always hang back from cars in front to ensure I don't have to stop on the bend if they stop. With my bike weighing 280kg plus the wife on the back I doubt I would be able to hold it up if I stopped on the camber of a bend.

An excellent point . Easier to do when there's no vegetation in the way . 

I have appreciated all of the posts on this thread. I was expecting a few saying I’m a numpty. And maybe I am. However I have appreciated the posts made. … makes me more likely to go to the Alps on my bike with minimum luggage actually 

One thing I didn't mention, and I don't recall any one else doing, is that you will lean to the outside while leaning the bike into the bend.

This will allow you to keep the bike balanced without the need to lean too much.

This of course if you don't try to go at the same speed as @manxie49 is showing 🙄

Got my mod2 next week, my instructor has been great, lots of country rides and plenty of advice on bends, both brakes on the straight to Jose some speed, wide as safely possible, then cover the back brake in case!! Thankfully not come across any hairpins around scunthorpe!!! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fifi50 said:

Got my mod2 next week, my instructor has been great, lots of country rides and plenty of advice on bends, both brakes on the straight to Jose some speed, wide as safely possible, then cover the back brake in case!! Thankfully not come across any hairpins around scunthorpe!!! 

Good luck with the mod 2 the examiners are pretty decent across there 

As for hairpins around there I can't say i know of any close by either! 

12 minutes ago, Fifi50 said:

Thanx Stu, dying to get my bike out!!! Yeah my instructor is amazing and examiner on mod1 was great! 

I know a few who have failed tests here in Hull and found the examiners very arrogant and abrupt but went across to scunny and felt so much better and have nothing but praise for the examiners 

39 minutes ago, Fifi50 said:

Good luck with mod 2 👍 

Thanx guys, yeah we have a lot of learners from hull, apparently a few places only offer intensive courses, which in my opinion are nowhere near good enough and then they come here and learn to ride properly!! (😜), but I found after a quick chat with the examiner they tend to crack a smile!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bender said:

Think so, I was coming up over,  I used to go that way regularly in a crapy old landrover that couldn't make it round in one go 😂 

I know it well! In fact I’m over there on Saturday in my crappy old land rover haha 

1 minute ago, Keeper96 said:

I know it well! In fact I’m over there on Saturday in my crappy old land rover haha 

😁 

It's no offence to crappy old landrovers I still have one, mate has a crappy new one with wheels so big turning circle is worse 

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

My friends who run old Land Rovers tell me the golden re with Land Rovers is always to have two of them.

One to drive and the other to tow it home.

Maintaining two would be a full time job!

The scariest bend I did was in Spain, going around the hairpin I went wide to avoid the camber, then met a car coming the other way, thought went and reactions took over, so I banked LEFT then realised and went right but it was lucky we were both going slow.  Since then I have been more careful riding abroad in that split second the reaction after years of UK riding  is to go left

25 minutes ago, EX GASMAN said:

The scariest bend I did was in Spain, going around the hairpin I went wide to avoid the camber, then met a car coming the other way, thought went and reactions took over, so I banked LEFT then realised and went right but it was lucky we were both going slow.  Since then I have been more careful riding abroad in that split second the reaction after years of UK riding  is to go left

the joys of foreign travel 

• Haha 1

This hairpin bend caught me out. It is in Derbyshire, near the Barley Mow pub which was a tag for the Challenge, which was in turn was near to Bull I Thorn pub where we had a couple of rallies. I had to do it like a three point turn.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1203805,-1.5951187,3a,75y,356h,95.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sORo13-R1CgvC5ostpCVIug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Throttled said:

This hairpin bend caught me out. It is in Derbyshire, near the Barley Mow pub which was a tag for the Challenge, which was in turn was near to Bull I Thorn pub where we had a couple of rallies. I had to do it like a three point turn.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.1203805,-1.5951187,3a,75y,356h,95.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sORo13-R1CgvC5ostpCVIug!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

We did that road a few years ago on the way back from the rally one year! 

• Like 1

Secret is to maintain a proper speed, same as u turns. Too slow you go down, at least foot down. Too fast, end up on the wrong side. I found it’s trickier to go up hill as if too slow there is little room for correction. Down hill bit easier, at least to me.

• Like 1