2004 Suzuki GS500f Starts and stops

macjaffa

AAAARGH.

So, my 2004 Suzuki GS500f is not starting.  As I was sorting my front sprocket/circlip situation, it has only used for a little 5 mile ride around town in about a three week period and so I expected it to struggle to start a bit last Sunday, when it had not been started for a week.   It has been another week to today.  The ignition switch is turning the engine, there is power and sometimes it starts up for a second and then shuts off.  The battery was draining because of the attempts, but I don't think that was the actual issue.  I hooked it up to the car (car was turned off) and it would occasionally start up and shut off.

I thought it would be good to change the spark plugs.  When removed, I saw they were black, which is apparently not a good sign....eeek.  This didn't fix the problem; IF it starts up, it immediately shuts off.  

I know that I overfilled the oil at one point (weeks ago) and did do a little riding...then I realised what I'd done and emptied the oil back to a good level.  However, I'm wondering if I've caused an issue and this is the outcome?  I've read that there can be froth in the air filter and I'm wondering if this leak (shown in pics) is a related issue?  Would this cause a switch on and shut off situation?

The oil overfill has not presented a problem at the time or since...but the bike has been unused for a few weeks.

Any ideas or guidance are really appreciated.  I'm no mechanic!

Thanks!

IMG_3112.thumb.JPG.afecb18736ce3b2a75d63ffe61d28a0d.JPGIMG_3110.thumb.JPG.43d6f8f567031705c2e6cf1a0e273f22.JPG

If I remember right the oil overfill was quite a lot. Which will cause the crank to froth the oil, this is bad because the oil pump can't circulate froth. It can also cause oil to be dumped into the air filter via the crank breather. An oil soaked filter won't let air flow into the engine so as soon as it fires it chokes itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, soo...update....end of term came and I was finally able to get another look.  Thank you for your help.  I borrowed a battery charger and it roared into life...it seems that it was sitting for a long while, with start ups now and again, and no running time.  

However, you are correct...the oil overfill was a lot....it was rectified without too much riding, but I do think I need to go and check all that you mentioned...and clean the air filter.  There are just knocks, whirrs and shimmies that I am hearing...but maybe I'm being paranoid.  

I took a test ride today, with my go pro on...there's a little clip that caught a sound that worried me...I should start another thread, perhaps...but...at 3.5 seconds you'll hear a whir and clunk...and then again after.  I don't think the clunk is me changing gear...may have been...but the whir?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cLnslYLTkE3pl3DoCe0BFyqnPT8A2AEY/view?usp=sharing