How long is it taking to get the full licence after completing Mod 2?

I've read that DVLA has a massive backlog of driving licence applications, so I'm wondering if that applies to us bikers?

I was hoping to buy the bigger bike in January and start a tour shortly afterwards... Assuming I pass the Mod 2 test in two weeks and get the licence on time.

Thanks.

Edited by waltermitty

Do you mean how long after you pass your Mod two can you ride your big bike?

if so it was instant with me. The test centre were happy to notify the DVLA and I bought my insurance an hour later and went out the next day. That was pre Covid but I think you don’t need to wait for the DVLA to print a new bit on your plastic.

10 minutes ago, James in Brum said:

Do you mean how long after you pass your Mod two can you ride your big bike?

if so it was instant with me. The test centre were happy to notify the DVLA and I bought my insurance an hour later and went out the next day. That was pre Covid but I think you don’t need to wait for the DVLA to print a new bit on your plastic.

Thanks! I see -- I thought I had to wait for the new, physical licence to be able to buy a big bike.

But you still get a new plastic that replaces the provisional licence, right? I'm also interested in that because I may need to exchange it for a EU licence.

Edited by waltermitty

But you still get a new plastic that replaces the provisional licence, right? I'm also interested in that because I may need to exchange it for a EU licence.

Theres no such thing as an EU licence, individual EU countries issue their own individual licences. 

I passed my mod 2 this week. 

DVLA are sending my licence away for me. Said it takes 20 days but with covid and Christmas it may be longer. Didn't say how much by. 

The govt website says you can ride a bike straight away. You don't have to wait for the licence to come in the post.

Im wondering about informing my insurance company. If I tell them they will charge me for the change but my insurance is up in 10 weeks so Amy just tell them on renewal 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/12/2021 at 17:14, waltermitty said:

I've read that DVLA has a massive backlog of driving licence applications, so I'm wondering if that applies to us bikers?

I was hoping to buy the bigger bike in January and start a tour shortly afterwards... Assuming I pass the Mod 2 test in two weeks and get the licence on time.

Thanks.

I did mod 2 on Monday got my license on Friday!!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

Passed my mod 2 on Tuesday, had my licence on the Saturday. Was told by the tester it would take 20 days. 

My experience when renewing mine last year was I got it back within a week not the three weeks I was told so sometimes things go better than expected. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey folks. Thank you so much for your replies! I'm happy to report I passed the Mod 1 last week, the Mod 2 last Tuesday and I got my licence yesterday.

What a crazy journey it's been since I started this thread. I failed the Mod 1 FOUR times before finally passing on the 5th attempt. I'd been under an unbelievable amount of stress as I'm moving to the EU in two weeks, and the pressure to pass these tests on time didn't help at all. I would do really stupid things in the tests.

The first time I failed the hazard avoidance because I didn't pick up enough speed, even after being given another chance. The second time I failed the avoidance again, but on the first attempt I was too slow and on the second attempt I was too fast (63km/h) and hit a cone (I'd never, ever hit a cone! not even whilst training). The third time I put the foot down in a U turn because I was riding too slowly. Fourth time I went over the line in the U turn (after the test, the examiner said I did absolutely everything right except for that U turn, including subsequent U turns).

This made it really difficult for my instructors to help me because I wasn't making the same mistakes over and over again. I'd be absolutely fine on the way to the test centre but entered a state of panic right before the test. I managed to overcome this fear after the 4th Mod 1 test by digging into what I'd need to do if I were to start everything from scratch in Portugal, so I approached the 5th attempt with a genuine "f*ck it, this is the last test and I don't care what happens" kind of attitude, and it worked! Same thing in the Mod 2, which helped me pass the first time round (with only one minor fault even though I felt like it was one of my worst rides!).

I literally think I got to meet all the bike instructors and examiners in the test centre. And I must emphasise that the times I failed was entirely down to me: I have nothing but positive things to say about all the instructors and examiners. Plus, my last school even bought my 125 bike after my mod 2 so I had one fewer thing to worry about before my trip!

Now on to my next licence-related adventure: Exchanging it for a Portuguese licence, which I'm told is going to be just as "fun" due to the bureaucracy.

Edited by waltermitty
  • Like 2

Well done on passing. Mod 1 is definitely harder than mod 2. Reading your post it sounds more like nerves than your ability to ride a bike that caused the fails. Once you thought "f*ck it" you passed. 

Enjoy zipping around Portugal!

• Like 1