Best GPS tracker security device?

Heard of monimoto but friend's died 2 years after purchase (exact day of warranty expiration pretty much!)

Any strong opinions about the products out there?

Also, please share any cautions against getting one if there are any reasons you guys don't like them/annoyances! Cheers

Edited by Sphere

39 minutes ago, Bender said:

Apple Air tags. 

Just watched a video on them and these seem unsuitable for a number of reasons.

If the thief has an iphone it will alert her that an Airtag appears to be following her around (apple implemented this for privacy reasons to prevent people stalking people's movements!)

On the other hand, if the thief has a samsung or huawei or no phone and parks it in an industrial estate for a few days without tons of people traffic you could be stuffed.

Edited by Sphere

21 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Just watched a video on them and these seem unsuitable for a number of reasons.

If the thief has an iphone it will alert her that an Airtag appears to be following her around (apple implemented this for privacy reasons to prevent people stalking people's movements!)

On the other hand, if the thief has a samsung or huawei or no phone and parks it in an industrial estate for a few days without tons of people traffic you could be stuffed.

They are cheap not perfect, if thief has an iPhone then you know exactly where it is why are you waiting for 3 days to go find it 😁 

If it's parked up its not following said crimbo so won't alert them,  the chances of it not passing an I phone or apple device is slim.

Plenty of cheap and expensive sim based options. 

It depends on how well you value your bike. There are plenty of cheap Chinese manufactured units out there. I have a couple of Trackers on my bikes. Not the high end ones but reputable middle of the road. It depends if you want the tracker connected/power by bike or stand alone. 

1 hour ago, Bender said:

They are cheap not perfect, if thief has an iPhone then you know exactly where it is why are you waiting for 3 days to go find it 😁 

If it's parked up its not following said crimbo so won't alert them,  the chances of it not passing an I phone or apple device is slim.

Plenty of cheap and expensive sim based options. 

Yeah fair point, Tile/Apple tags are not without value but would be frustrating to go to the effort and find no signal ^^

Edited by Sphere

2 hours ago, Pie man said:

It depends on how well you value your bike. There are plenty of cheap Chinese manufactured units out there. I have a couple of Trackers on my bikes. Not the high end ones but reputable middle of the road. It depends if you want the tracker connected/power by bike or stand alone. 

Which trackers did you go for if you don't mind my asking?

Edited by Sphere

I would be tempted to use one of these.

Motorbike tracker

They look very small and have the fuel cut off feature.

Not sure how the sim card works in the UK.

Another better option would be this

Sino Track tracking device

They don't include the sim card and I have no idea where you will get one and how much it will cost.

This is the main reason I haven't got one yet.

I use Monimoto,  never had any issues.  Reliable and pretty accurate.  You need to take the time to find a good place to install it though.  A lot of people put them under their seats, and this is, apparently, one of the first places these thieving scum bags look.  I have used Datatool in the past which was also pretty good,  customer service with them was excellent,  yearly subscription can be expensive though. Mine was also connected to the bikes battery, and I did hear some state that it had a tendency to drain the battery, I never experienced this issue though.  It's as pie man said above,  just depends on how much you value your bike .

• Like 1

Found this info:

https://www.personalgpstrackers.co.uk/trackers/sim-cards-for-trackers-free

https://www.personalgpstrackers.co.uk/3g

According to the same website, the sim card is normally a payg card or you can get a monthly payment card.

• Like 1

I currently use Monimoto and Autocom. I prefer the Monimoto, although both are very similar. The sim for the Monimoto is cheaper than the autocom and cheaper than any giffguff or PAYG sim cards I can find. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2021 at 09:15, manxie49 said:

I use Monimoto,  never had any issues.  Reliable and pretty accurate.  You need to take the time to find a good place to install it though.  A lot of people put them under their seats, and this is, apparently, one of the first places these thieving scum bags look.  I have used Datatool in the past which was also pretty good,  customer service with them was excellent,  yearly subscription can be expensive though. Mine was also connected to the bikes battery, and I did hear some state that it had a tendency to drain the battery, I never experienced this issue though.  It's as pie man said above,  just depends on how much you value your bike .

How large is the tracker unit?

2 hours ago, Liveware Problem said:

Cheers, How have you secured it (if you don't mind me asking)?

It comes with two re-usable cable ties which I've used,  I've also used a padded, neoprene strap, just to prevent vibration from rattling it around.  It's a pain to get to when the batteries need replacing but they last for ages.  The trick is mounting it somewhere that isn't easy to reach, there's plenty of options and it seems to work well even when well hidden.

• Thanks 1