Who hates stupid adverts?

billy sugger

As title says, who hates stupid adverts

Ones like the payment device, going oooooooh, the yodelling pizza ad, perfume ads, especially the one with Johnny Depp. Who the heck makes this crap? Even car ads no longer mean aught, they advertise models "not available in the UK" 

If I watch a side with adverts now I either mute it or change to BBC News channel 

37 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

Ones like the payment device, going oooooooh, the yodelling pizza ad, perfume ads, especially the one with Johnny Depp. Who the heck makes this crap? Even car ads no longer mean aught, they advertise models "not available in the UK" 

If I watch a side with adverts now I either mute it or change to BBC News channel 

My cousin works in media advertising. She gets annoyed too. The perfume ads are crap and wierd because they don't actually hire proper people to do them. They just have a load of executive types think up some LSD related dream and stick a random celeb in. Also, most perfume/aftershave aren't owned by the company they claim to be. They are sold off but retain the rights to use the brand name. 

Another good one is car ads don't actually film the car. In them mountain scenes where the car is gliding through some mountain valley they actually use a giant robot RC car that's got lots of sensors. They then superimpose the car they are selling on to the footage. 

I got so sick of the social media ads on social media and youtube that I started baffling the algorithm, and shutting off the targeted ads.  

Mid-20s, I was bombarded with life insurance ads, holiday packages, and occasionally baby stuff.

I never searched up insurance ads or baby stuff, so I think it was driven by a link to my ex, as when I cut contact it stopped dead, and switched to gambling over night, and then investment opportunities like it was some kind of default for my age group.

So I started messing with it, and pretty soon I was getting adverts for all sorts, kids toys, speed boats, and some stuff in Russian. Then I went a little too far and started getting those "Just stop" adverts where a guy solemnly describes how he was looking at dangerous stuff online, and it strongly implies extremist right wing sort of stuff. After that I stopped :lol:

When I hit 30, it all became hair transplant ads, and treatments. Now I'm 31 and it's onto erectile dysfunction! Waiting to see if 32 brings "Have you been injured by a cheap hair transplant or erectile drugs from dubious places online? You maybe entitled to compensation"

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I work on the principle that if something needs advertising it can't be any good so I avoid buying anything that has to be advertised.

We apply that to food particularly.

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

I got so sick of the social media ads on social media and youtube that I started baffling the algorithm, and shutting off the targeted ads.  

Mid-20s, I was bombarded with life insurance ads, holiday packages, and occasionally baby stuff.

I never searched up insurance ads or baby stuff, so I think it was driven by a link to my ex, as when I cut contact it stopped dead, and switched to gambling over night, and then investment opportunities like it was some kind of default for my age group.

So I started messing with it, and pretty soon I was getting adverts for all sorts, kids toys, speed boats, and some stuff in Russian. Then I went a little too far and started getting those "Just stop" adverts where a guy solemnly describes how he was looking at dangerous stuff online, and it strongly implies extremist right wing sort of stuff. After that I stopped :lol:

When I hit 30, it all became hair transplant ads, and treatments. Now I'm 31 and it's onto erectile dysfunction! Waiting to see if 32 brings "Have you been injured by a cheap hair transplant or erectile drugs from dubious places online? You maybe entitled to compensation"

You wanna be my age

It’s all Funeral plans, Stairlifts & Equity Release 🙁

• Haha 4

Funny enough, my phone bombards me with adverts for oil or brake pads, all from euro spares. I've only bought a can of paint and some grease from them, yet never gave them my email for a receipt., etc. 

4 hours ago, billy sugger said:

I try to watch BBC news of a morning, I generally manage to until Carole is on with the weather then I change.

I am fed up of them getting people on then grilling them to try and get an answer to a question or a statement that the person doesn’t want to make.

Always ready to take a part who ever is on.. One week it’s we did not lock down quick enough, the next is look at all these poor people in South Africa should they not be given chance to get home… 

Starting to hate the uk press and news more than adverts.  Politics is another subject, they all have there own axe to grind not in it for the country there constituents just there own agenda.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Wait till your my age - I get loads of ads telling me how to pay for my bloody funeral! 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, billy sugger said:

and with Johnny Depp if his eyes are really like that what's he been into 🤔

Just now, skyrider said:

and with Johnny Depp if his eyes are really like that what's he been into 🤔

From what I read Depp has been into just about everything and everyone you could imagine. Strange man.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

From what I read Depp has been into just about everything and everyone you could imagine. Strange man.

He's got a big court date for April next year against his ex-wife Amber Heard.

Basically she made claims he was physically abusive, and took out restraining orders, as well as creating some very damning articles for magazines/the press.

It just later turned out that she'd neglected to mention that she severed the end of his finger throwing a bottle at him, left a dump in his bed, and are multiple recordings of her belittling/goading him, and their own employees back Depp as being often provoked into huge rows. So her presentation as this poor sole victim did fall apart. 

But it's probably why he's popping up in peoples advertising feeds... Someone's got to pay for his laywers :lol:

Edited by Fozzie
  • Like 1

I made the mistake of searching for perfume for my wife for Xmas - now I not only have to put up with the adverts on TV they are all over my laptop as well.

I am a keen scuba diver, so always searching for dive equipemnt, trouble is there is a womens fashion brand called Scuba, these so called itelligent search engines cant tell the difference, I ge tno end of adverts for dresses!

5 minutes ago, iangaryprice said:

I made the mistake of searching for perfume for my wife for Xmas - now I not only have to put up with the adverts on TV they are all over my laptop as well.

I am a keen scuba diver, so always searching for dive equipemnt, trouble is there is a womens fashion brand called Scuba, these so called itelligent search engines cant tell the difference, I ge tno end of adverts for dresses!

🤥

11 hours ago, iangaryprice said:

There is apparently a make of bra called Triumph. This causes some interesting issues when looking for bike bits.

• Haha 2

Tampons and big knickers incase you are dribbling piss … just as you sit down to eat your dinner … really 

mind you there is probably a few with dribbles in their pants on here 

• Haha 1