New bike accessories - What to get and how to get them cheap?

I’ve just passed the Mod 2 and getting a Suzuki 650 Vstrom XT from Santa. 
Planning to use the bike for a bit of everything - commuting, touring and minor off roading.

Ive got excited and already got cheap ish panniers and top box from eBay but going to get other accessories in dribs and drabs.
I’d like heated grips, security locks and a rain cover, but not sure if I should get crash bars/ bobbins etc.

Any suggestions of basic newbie essentials and where  to get it fairly cheap? 

I just search about on the interweb. I have found bike specific forums a good place for second hand stuff. Otherwise, a mix of ebay and buying from the likes of Ghostbikes and J&S. But, I recently put in an order direct to R&G, because that was cheaper than third party sellers. 

I fitted "cheap" heated bar grips to my GSX600F, about £15 off ebay.

They work well, adjusable seetings on the left grip, I was outand about 80mile run yesterday 5degC and thye kept my hand comfortable on setting 2 or 3 (max is 4) I think 1 is off, need to check.

Will have to wait and see how durable they are, says they have 5 years guarantee, we will see!

Another usefull accessory I got is a Bob Heath "V wipe" - silicon rubber wiper fits over your finger to clear rain off your visor. Works really well. Cost about £6.

IMG_20211210_202017 (2).jpg

IMG_20211210_202029 (2).jpg

IMG_20211210_202037 (2).jpg

On 17/12/2021 at 12:28, iangaryprice said:

I fitted "cheap" heated bar grips to my GSX600F, about £15 off ebay.

They work well, adjusable seetings on the left grip, I was outand about 80mile run yesterday 5degC and thye kept my hand comfortable on setting 2 or 3 (max is 4) I think 1 is off, need to check.

Will have to wait and see how durable they are, says they have 5 years guarantee, we will see!

Another usefull accessory I got is a Bob Heath "V wipe" - silicon rubber wiper fits over your finger to clear rain off your visor. Works really well. Cost about £6.

IMG_20211210_202017 (2).jpg

IMG_20211210_202029 (2).jpg

IMG_20211210_202037 (2).jpg

I have 2 pairs still working both out of warranty....   Live the control as it's not big ugly box...

I would suggest crash bars, most people drop there first bike even if they don't do it whilst moving!

Also suggest get quality but budget great to start so you know what gear you like.

When I started riding I never thought my leather jacket would be my most commonly used jacket.

Followed by my I am out for long ride dodgy weather rucka jacket..

If buying new I tend to start with SBS,  I then hunt around on the net and see if I can find it cheaper, SBS will always price match and their service has always been brilliant, for me anyway.  Crash bars and bobbins are subjective,  as Bender said, off road they're essential items,  on road, yes I do use them,  they've certainly saved my bike from expensive damage when its fallen over on the boat deck of the ferry and once when knocked over by a car reversing into a space.  If you were unfortunate enough to get intimate with the tarmac doing any speed though I have my doubts as to their usefulness.  Be careful on fleabay, I've bought what looked and sounded like a good deal,  only to find out that what I bought was crap when it arrived.  Decent lock and a cover goes a long way to helping keep your bike safe.  One of the best things I ever bought was a Pinlock visor.  If riding through the winter months,  invest in some good waterproof, warm gear and gloves,  if you're dry and warm the whole experience becomes more bearable and you're able to concentrate more fully on the ride ahead.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

If buying new I tend to start with SBS,  I then hunt around on the net and see if I can find it cheaper, SBS will always price match and their service has always been brilliant, for me anyway.  Crash bars and bobbins are subjective,  as Bender said, off road they're essential items,  on road, yes I do use them,  they've certainly saved my bike from expensive damage when its fallen over on the boat deck of the ferry and once when knocked over by a car reversing into a space.  If you were unfortunate enough to get intimate with the tarmac doing any speed though I have my doubts as to their usefulness.  Be careful on fleabay, I've bought what looked and sounded like a good deal,  only to find out that what I bought was crap when it arrived.  Decent lock and a cover goes a long way to helping keep your bike safe.  One of the best things I ever bought was a Pinlock visor.  If riding through the winter months,  invest in some good waterproof, warm gear and gloves,  if you're dry and warm the whole experience becomes more bearable and you're able to concentrate more fully on the ride ahead.  

not wrong and wise words

1 hour ago, manxie49 said:

SBS have a new place in B'ham which is good news for me. Sometimes I like buying off the Internet but sometimes u like to browse

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

SBS have a new place in B'ham which is good news for me. Sometimes I like buying off the Internet but sometimes u like to browse

I'm with you on that one, it's actually nice to get your hands on the kit and see it for real ..... The downside to that is I normally end up spending a lot more than originally intended 😂

• Haha 1

Join a Facebook group specific to your bike, or line of bikes. These are great places to snap up a bargain when people sell or upgrade and before doing so remove parts and accessories to sell separately. Quite often they will offer them to the group before listing on eBay. I see this all the time on the various Africa Twin groups I look at. 

• Like 1