Research for new jacket/trousers combo

Hi - recently passed my test and got my fist big bike so I really should get a zip together top and bottoms (for the years on my 125 I had a Knox undershirt thing with pads and Knox kevlar padded jeans)

I feel a textile set will suit me better rather than leather as I will be riding in most weathers and seasons, so while I have started my research online can someone give me some good mid-level brands and where the price curve starts to level out as I don't want to pay for a label, a fashion or a colour, I just want good quality protection and fit

Any help would be great as I continue scouring the web!

Thanks!

To my mind branding doesn’t really matter, materials matter. Goretex is for me the minimum standard for all weather riding as only companies that can show Gore that their QC is top notch are allowed to license the material.  Goretex laminates are the bees knees, but zip-in Goretex layers are very good too. There are a lot of copies out there, same idea just a different name. But only Gore offers a lifetime warranty. Above and beyond the warranty you get for the original garment. If it leaks and this isn’t due to damage, Gore will refund you. All this adds to the price of course. But you get a very well made garment that will last a very long time and is guaranteed waterproof for as long as you own it, unless you damage it of course.

48 minutes ago, DR1 said:

Worth a watch. 

Seem to remember that it more or less proves you get what you pay for.  Also higher end stuff tends to have better guarantees.

Edited by S-Westerly

I have a variety of stuff which of necessity is bought on a limited budget. I have a set of RST textiles which have done pretty well but are not absolutely waterproof. However pair them with an Oxford waterproof overjacket and the top half is then waterproof and warmer in really cold weather. On the bottom I have a pair of Richa overtrousers. With removable thermal lining that gives me a kit that covers just about most weathers.

However one bit of kit I find myself using more and more is a pair of Oxford Montreal trousers. I bought a size up so I can weather them over jeans, or in the summer remove the thermal lining and wear just the Montreals. They have proved to be waterproof and very flexible. They have zipped air vents for hot days with four decent pockets for bits and pieces. Again, at the cheaper end of the market but I find them really handy.

13 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Seem to remember that it more or less proves you get what you pay for.  Also higher end stuff tends to have better guarantees.

As I remember it Gore Tex is the standard but there are some others that are pretty good these days and some that are not. 🙂
I enjoy his videos. 

Edited by DR1

I've watched all of FortNine's stuff. They are informative and entertaining which not all are. My Halvarssons gear uses their own proprietary membrane which has kept ne warm and dry in monsoon conditions apart from water trickling down my neck eventually which isn't the fault of the membrane.