Burning cars in France as a nye tradition

Bender

I had a Peugeot 305 that boiled it’s battery in the middle of Stratford upon Avon on a bank holiday Monday - the regulator had gone t*ts up.

Our current camper based on a Peugeot Partner decided to over heat on a summers day in Brighton - the cooling fan had 2 relays, one low speed & one high speed, trouble was that you didn’t find out that one had gone until the other one did & they were a b’stard to get to & had anti tamper fixings .. WTF??

Just now, Mickly said:

I had a Peugeot 305 that boiled it’s battery in the middle of Stratford upon Avon on a bank holiday Monday - the regulator had gone t*ts up.

Our current camper based on a Peugeot Partner decided to over heat on a summers day in Brighton - the cooling fan had 2 relays, one low speed & one high speed, trouble was that you didn’t find out that one had gone until the other one did & they were a b’stard to get to & had anti tamper fixings .. WTF??

I had a Citroen Berlingo and a Peugeot Partner (basically the same vehicle). The Citroen deposited many, many bits of engine all over the A14 as I was overtaking someone. As the vehicle was an ideal workhorse for my business I bought the Peugeot… which had some mysterious electrical gremlin that could only be sorted by a main dealer (the independent garage I used for maintaining our cars confirmed this). The dealer quoted around £1500 to fix the problem - I passed and bought a trailer and fitted a towbar to the Focus at a cost of £500. 

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Remember the Reliant Scimitar? They used to burn extraordinarily well if they caught fire.

I used to own one (1970 SE5 for the anoraks).

I had to cut away a small piece of bodywork to fit something or other and in the interests of science I lit the bit I chopped out. I was very much surprised by how quickly and fiercely it burned.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

I used to own one (1970 SE5 for the anoraks).

I had to cut away a small piece of bodywork to fit something or other and in the interests of science I lit the bit I chopped out. I was very much surprised by how quickly and fiercely it burned.

Saw a fibre glass boat burnt to the waterline in a very short time. Sobering sight.

5 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

What is it with ex-pats? 

Unless it's the same one under a different nom de plume!  

It's the replacement, what do you think, we ordered it a while ago. 

So the general consensus is, if the French car has not self combusted then it should be helped on its way. 

2018 there were more than a thousand torched... 

• Like 2

During my time in Glasgow, burned out cars where not an uncommon sight. 

Particularly after an unexpected result in a Celtic v Rangers game.

It seems there efforts pail to insignificance compared to the French.  It's not a proper protest till we have burned a couple of cars....

We accidentally burnt a car one bonfire night, we did ask him to move it, he didn't, we were impatient kids so set fire to the bonfire, we had it in the same place in our street every year. Who would park next to a big pile of wood on bonfire night. 

• Like 1

I've had 4 French cars, a Citroen zx diesel, 2x Pug 206 gti & 1x Pug 206 gti 180.

The zx was pretty reliable, basic turbo diesel engine that just ran and ran.

Both gtis would often throw hissy fits if it detected a misfire, it would flag an "anti pollution fault", quickly dealt with a £10 ebay code reader and one had a cooling fan relay corrode to nothing cos it was sited just behind the front bumper, one of the wettest places you could put it Mr Peugeot.

The 180 had so many things wear out on it, clutch, water pump, suspension mounts, Cv joints, rear axle torsion arms. When it was running ok it was good fun but on the whole it sucked.

Strangely after I sold the zx , it was stolen then torched.

• Haha 1