Balancing carbs

onesea

Well that was a surprise, Amazon sales vaccum gauges, £2.90 each instead of £20+ pound each.... 

I have new toys, now what do I do?

I know:

1) I need to zero them all precisely, check they all read the same under vacuum.

2) where to plug them in.

3) I need another Amazon says it's on its way,

4) I need a right angled screw driver, any suggestions for an affordable one?

Links to good you tube videos and advice appreciated.

I made a water vacuum gauge for my shadow an it worked perfectly.

The problem was the tuning screw sits between the carbs under the air box and can't be reach.

Took the carbs out, did a workbench sync and now works perfectly.

Where to connect them depends on the bike. My shadow takes 1 connection directly from the carb while the second comes from the cylinder head.

The service manual should tell you.

To make sure they are reading the same connect all 4 pipes via adaptor tubes to one vacuum source and note any variation.

66213385_Carbbalance-guagecalib.thumb.JPG.8ef967e339eaafa6a8edbdd4680d7fba.JPG

Your manual will give you the correct procedure it can vary from bike to bike.

I'm struggling to make sense of your post if I'm honest . It reads like you've bought a set of vacuum gauges for £2.90 but now you need another set because , presumably , these are too cheap to be reliable . I'm not sure why you need a right angled screwdriver either . These used to be used to adjust mixture screws underneath the carbs  but they were very hard to use . When you balance carbs you synchronize the Butterfly Valves by manipulating screws on the common actuating mechanism which is usually accessible from above . 

26 minutes ago, fastbob said:

When you balance carbs you synchronize the Butterfly Valves by manipulating screws on the common actuating mechanism which is usually accessible from above .

Not all bikes are that simple. 

Some you adjust the butterflies at a set revs say 2k then at idle you adjust the air screws too 

@fastbob I got 3 but needed 4 long story has to order separate...  They are draper so hopefully good enough quality.

When I saw mine done I am sure the guy used a right angle screw driver. So figured I need one....

Looking for advice or videos on what I am actually meant to do it be doing....

Before anything else you have to make sure that there are no leaks between the engine and the carbs (vacuum side) and the boots are in good condition.

If your bike is anything as difficult as mine you will need a angle screwdiver and even then you can run into trouble.

If on the other hand, and for what you're saying, is just playing with the toys. Then just find where the vacuum ports are and plug all gauges to the same port as @linuxrob says and check they all read the same value.

You probably will need a set of brass connectors to the ports if the gauge doesn't have a connector already.

And a kettle, you must have a kettle. :thumb: 

Edited by husoi
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, onesea said:

@fastbob I got 3 but needed 4 long story has to order separate...  They are draper so hopefully good enough quality.

When I saw mine done I am sure the guy used a right angle screw driver. So figured I need one....

Looking for advice or videos on what I am actually meant to do it be doing....

Hi @onesea, I take it its the 4 cylinder model you have? with the Mikuni carbs? in which case No 3 carb will have a vacuum takeoff for your fuel tap?

Once you find that find the takeoffs for the other carbs and fit all pipes to them, will need your tank somewhere [backwards on rear seat maybe] and fuel tap set on prime.

No 3 carb is the base carb on 4 cylinder models, so you can't alter this setting, so alter all the other to be in line with this.

It's a long time since I have done any triumphs, but I know I had to purchase a r/h adjustable screwdriver on one model!! Because the adjusting screw is in a stupid place!!!  not sure if it was the trophy or not.

once you get tank off you should be able to see where the adjustment screws are!

Have you a workshop manual? that should explain it.

• Like 1