Coolant Advice

manxie49

I need to top the coolant on my Beemer up.  The coolant currently used in the bike is Castrol,  however, I can't seem to find anywhere local that stocks it.  Is it OK to top up with any brand of pre mixed coolant? .... Probably a stupid question this one but I've never really thought of it until now, I've usually always had some left over to use 🥴

Edited by manxie49

The chances are its the BMW coolant in there and personally I wouldn't mix anything with it except the BMW coolant 

You can use any coolant as long as its aluminium safe and you are doing a full change but always stick to the same type of coolant as mixing them can cause them to turn in to jelly! 

• Thanks 1

Unless the bike is in real danger of freezing solid , I would just top up with deionised water for now and do a full coolant change at a later date . 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fastbob said:

Unless the bike is in real danger of freezing solid , I would just top up with deionised water for now and do a full coolant change at a later date . 

Thanks, I did consider doing that as hopefully the weather will be warming up a bit soon.  I did think BMW used Castrol coolant, but after reading what Stu said I did a bit more digging and found, as with most things BMW, they use their own brand,  so ordered some of fleabay 👍

I e seen this mentioned a lot. OAT or HOAT permanent coolant is required. But it’s not “permanent” for the dealerships who change it (possibly based purely on habit) every 3 or 4 years. Of course most owners don’t keep the bikes that long and it’s generally a fact that the coolant is changed as part of the prep. When a bike is resold as an “approved” second hander. Probably because of the warranty that comes with those bikes. An abundance of caution.

• Like 2

I get mine from Sainsbury's it's made by Bluecol, not had any issues with it :thumb:

Here's a link to it's description.

https://www.tetrosylexpress.com/product/tcat2288-antifreeze/bluecol-blu001-clear-top-up-universal-antifreeze-1ltr-tetblu001/TETBLU001

Edited by dynax
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Don't quote me on this one but I'm led to believe that the coolant is for life too 

I haven't seen anything in the service book for it requiring a change 

There is a bit in the service book on my bike for coolant change so I'm assuming it isn't a coolant for life job .... 👍

• Like 1

Coolants like oils have got far too complicated these days. The Triumph coolant in the Bobber was due for replacement last year which is when I found out that Triumph has discontinued it and replaced it with an alternative which is said not to be compatible with the original. Which is a bit annoying as I can't find out why they discontinued to original coolant.

I flushed the system three times with distilled water before adding the new coolant but they still reacted with one another.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Coolants like oils have got far too complicated these days. The Triumph coolant in the Bobber was due for replacement last year which is when I found out that Triumph has discontinued it and replaced it with an alternative which is said not to be compatible with the original. Which is a bit annoying as I can't find out why they discontinued to original coolant.

I flushed the system three times with distilled water before adding the new coolant but they still reacted with one another.

Couldn't agree more,  gone are the days when you could just pick any bottle of pre mixed coolant up from a garage and bung it in if you were a bit low.  A real pain if you're away from home in the middle of nowhere!

On the subject of coolant,  I've often wondered,  why the bike needs topping up in the first place??  If it isn't leaking,  and you're not losing it from anywhere obvious,  where does the coolant go?? 🤔

1 minute ago, manxie49 said:

Couldn't agree more,  gone are the days when you could just pick any bottle of pre mixed coolant up from a garage and bung it in if you were a bit low.  A real pain if you're away from home in the middle of nowhere!

Which perfectly demonstrates just how much BMW has changed over the past 20 years.. gone are the air/oil cooled bikes that could use any car oil available in any part of the world. You could go anywhere and never have to worry about service parts. Even something as simple and necessary as an oil filter was available anywhere that sold German cars like VW, Mercedes and so on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

On the subject of coolant,  I've often wondered,  why the bike needs topping up in the first place??  If it isn't leaking,  and you're not losing it from anywhere obvious,  where does the coolant go?? 🤔

Evaporation.. its effectively hot water so its lost as steam. tiny amounts escaping from the pressure cap over a time.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, manxie49 said:

It's not a completely closed system . Upon expansion , some coolant will migrate to the expansion tank which has to be vented to atmosphere to displace the air . While in the tank , a small degree of evaporation will take place , especially in hot weather and the cumulative effect of this evaporation will eventually necessitate periodic replenishment . That's my take on it . 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fastbob said:

It's not a completely closed system . Upon expansion , some coolant will migrate to the expansion tank which has to be vented to atmosphere to displace the air . While in the tank , a small degree of evaporation will take place , especially in hot weather and the cumulative effect of this evaporation will eventually necessitate periodic replenishment . That's my take on it . 

Makes a lot of sense 👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2022 at 16:44, Stu said:

You can use any coolant as long as its aluminium safe and you are doing a full change but always stick to the same type of coolant as mixing them can cause them to turn in to jelly! 

Its only OAT (organic acid technology) that does that. its orange.  GM used it in cars but it didn't work as planned.  For bikes you will have a choise of PolyEthylene Glycol or Monoethelene Glycol.  Mono flows better so it cools better, but kills wild life and small childern.  That what I use in my VFR.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A very good point and one that I have raised myself in the past . Never leave coolant lying about unattended because it is deadly poisonous to dogs and cats and any other animals that happen to drink it . Apparently it is even quite paleatable . 

51 minutes ago, fastbob said:

A very good point and one that I have raised myself in the past . Never leave coolant lying about unattended because it is deadly poisonous to dogs and cats and any other animals that happen to drink it . Apparently it is even quite paleatable . 

Does it work on council planning officers ?

Just asking.

Cheers

Ian

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ian Frog said:

Does it work on council planning officers ?

Just asking.

Cheers

Ian

After a week or two of agonising pain , drastic weight loss and yellow eyeballs .... Yes .