Tdm850 fuel leakage.

So folks when I was servicing the tdm it decided to wee fuel on the floor. I jumped to the conclusion it was carb related. Today I took the tank and airbox off and it occurred to me the fuel was running down near the backing the tank (carbs being at the front parallel twin). So is it just fuel out the carbs running along a hose to the back or is there another likely culprit?

20220116_112954.thumb.jpg.461e289feecef5e84a76882c759ef3df.jpg

20220116_112709.thumb.jpg.dc3d5ebbee31d7982282a025ddb2341a.jpg

These two hoses route towards the back (bottom pic it's the hose connected to the T in-between the carbs. Have got replacement float needle and seals/ o rings so will pull the carbs and check. 

Stripping the carbs is quite a big job. I would look to check the leak is not from the tank/tap/fuel lines first.

I have had 2 fuel leaks on my bike.

1. The water drain pipe from the fuel filler cap recess through the centre of the tank and out through the bottom, it had a rubber drain hose connectd to it that went down and exited near the centre stand, fuel was leaking onto the floor. I had to get a new pipe soldered in tot he tank.

2. The rubber fuel hose from the tap to the carbs perished. Simple repair, new hose and alos fitted a new inline filter at the same time.

Both times I initially suspected leaking float valves (I bought spares which are still unused).

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

Cheers @iangaryprice will double check all that first, would like to avoid carb fiddling if I can.  The leak was only when running and was a significant amount of fuel. Considering connecting an auxiliary fuel supply and turning it over to see if I can see where its coming out.

1 hour ago, goat said:

Cheers @iangaryprice will double check all that first, would like to avoid carb fiddling if I can.  The leak was only when running and was a significant amount of fuel. Considering connecting an auxiliary fuel supply and turning it over to see if I can see where its coming out.

Good plan.

1 hour ago, goat said:

Remember that most fuel taps are vacuum controlled so are only open when the engine is running. So seems your tap is working OK.

With e leask I had 1, leaked all the time if tank was mor ethen 1/2 full. 2. Only leaked when engien was running.

7 hours ago, iangaryprice said:

Remember that most fuel taps are vacuum controlled so are only open when the engine is running. So seems your tap is working OK.

With e leask I had 1, leaked all the time if tank was mor ethen 1/2 full. 2. Only leaked when engien was running.

It's not vacuum operated, as I found out when I assumed it was and disconnected it and later found the manual fuel cut off 😅

Fuel was coming out of here

20220116_112709.thumb.jpg.544dcadbeb3a5124a9dd549b82a3c7be.jpg

carbs look a pain to remove, can't see how to disconnect choke cable,  it has coolant running to them so need to clamp and remove those hoses as well. 

35 minutes ago, goat said:

Fuel was coming out of here

20220116_112709.thumb.jpg.544dcadbeb3a5124a9dd549b82a3c7be.jpg

carbs look a pain to remove, can't see how to disconnect choke cable,  it has coolant running to them so need to clamp and remove those hoses as well. 

The coolant pipes don't always run in to the carbs they sometimes just run to the carb and heating some copper parts to warm the carb up in cold weather these usually are bolted on and easily removed so check that first 

It will save draining any coolant if thats the case 

That pipes is an overflow by the looks of it so you have a sticking float I reckon 

Have detached the coolant hose, was attached at bottom of carb with a hose clip. Clamped it, pulled it off and have cable tied it up out the way and unclipped. Think there is just the one that I can see. Just got to work out clutch and throttle cables. Have got a haynes but it mainly relates to earlier models which had a different layout so none of the pics make any sense 🤣

20 minutes ago, goat said:

Have detached the coolant hose, was attached at bottom of carb with a hose clip. Clamped it, pulled it off and have cable tied it up out the way and unclipped. Think there is just the one that I can see. Just got to work out clutch and throttle cables. Have got a haynes but it mainly relates to earlier models which had a different layout so none of the pics make any sense 🤣

I would suspect two pipes! one in and one out to complete the circuit 

The old brain is starting to warm up. I've removed the outlet and have found the inlet which ts off a coolant hose. Just got to see how to detach from the carb. Also remembered how throttle cables work so just the choke cable to sort.