Highway Code changes & motorcyclists

Throttled

Hope this is of use. There are some pretty comprehensive changes coming on the 29th January to the Highway Code. The main change is regarding priority and what is called a "hierarchy of road users". It places pedestrians at the top, cyclists and horse riders next, then bikers, then cars, vans and last HGVs. Basically, the bigger you are and the more likely it is you will kill another in an accident, you need to take care.

Here is the government advice, and I have quoted all references to motorcyclists, so you can see what the Highway Code now expects. I have included only significant changes, not where the wording has been slightly altered from the old to the new code.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1037306/table-of-change-to-the-highway-code.pdf

The old rule is on the left of the table. I have copied the new rule that is on the right of the table, below

We all need to learn what is below here;

"The ‘Hierarchy of Road Users’ is a concept that places those road users most
at risk in the event of a collision at the top of the hierarchy. The hierarchy does
not remove the need for everyone to behave responsibly. The road users most
likely to be injured in the event of a collision are pedestrians, cyclists, horse
riders and motorcyclists, with children, older adults and disabled people being
more at risk."

"Rule H2
Rule for drivers, motorcyclists, horse drawn vehicles, horse riders and cyclists

At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a
road into which or from which you are turning.

You MUST give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians
and cyclists on a parallel crossing (see Rule 195).

Pedestrians have priority when on a zebra crossing, on a parallel crossing or at
light controlled crossings when they have a green signal.

You should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and to
pedestrians and cyclists waiting to cross a parallel crossing.

"Rule H3
Rule for drivers and motorcyclists

You should not cut across cyclists, horse riders or horse drawn vehicles going
ahead when you are turning into or out of a junction or changing direction or
lane, just as you would not turn across the path of another motor vehicle. This
applies whether they are using a cycle lane, a cycle track, or riding ahead on
the road and you should give way to them.

Do not turn at a junction if to do so would cause the cyclist, horse rider or horse
drawn vehicle going straight ahead to stop or swerve.

You should stop and wait for a safe gap in the flow of cyclists if necessary. This
includes when cyclists are:

approaching, passing or moving off from a junction
moving past or waiting alongside stationary or slow-moving traffic
travelling around a roundabout

"Rule 74 Turning.

When approaching a junction on the left, watch out for vehicles
turning in front of you, out of or into the side road.
If you intend to turn left,
check first for other cyclists or motorcyclists before signalling.
Do not ride on
the inside of vehicles signalling or slowing down to turn left.

If you are turning right, check the traffic to ensure it is safe, then signal and
move to the centre of the road. Wait until there is a safe gap in the oncoming
traffic and give a final look before completing the turn. It may be safer to wait
on the left until there is a safe gap or to dismount and push your cycle across
the road.

When turning into or out of a side road, you should give way to pedestrians
crossing or waiting to cross (see Rule H2)."

"Rule 163 Overtaking

stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on
your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the
left.
Cyclists may pass slower moving or stationary traffic on their
right or left and should proceed with caution as the driver may not be
able to see you. Be careful about doing so, particularly on the
approach to junctions, and especially when deciding whether it is
safe to pass lorries or other large vehicles.

give motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders and horse drawn vehicles at
least as much room as you would when overtaking a car
(see Rules
211 to 215
). As a guide:
leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists at speeds of
up to 30mph, and give them more space when overtaking at
higher speeds

pass horse riders and horse-drawn vehicles at speeds under 10
mph and allow at least 2 metres of space

allow at least 2 metres of space and keep to a low speed when
passing a pedestrian who is walking in the road (for example,
where there is no pavement)

take extra care and give more space when overtaking
motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders, horse drawn vehicles and
pedestrians in bad weather (including high winds) and at night

you should wait behind the motorcyclist, cyclist, horse rider,
horse drawn vehicle or pedestrian and not overtake if it is unsafe
or not possible to meet these clearances

"Rule 170 Take extra care at junctions.

You should
give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into
which or from which you are turning. If they have started to cross
they have priority, so give way (see Rule H2)

remain behind cyclists, horse riders, horse drawn vehicles and
motorcyclists at junctions even if they are waiting to turn and are
positioned close to the kerb"

"Rule 204
The road users most at risk from road traffic are pedestrians, in particular
children, older adults and disabled people, cyclists, horse riders and
motorcyclists. It is particularly important to be aware of children, older adults
and disabled people, and learner and inexperienced drivers and riders. In any
interaction between road users, those who can cause the greatest harm have
the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat they pose to others."

"Rule 211

....When turning right across a line of slow-moving or stationary traffic, look out for
and give way to cyclists or motorcyclists on the inside of the traffic you are
crossing. Be especially careful when moving off, turning, and when changing
direction or lane. Be sure to check mirrors and blind spots carefully."

"Rule 212
Give motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders, horse drawn vehicles and
pedestrians walking in the road (for example, where there is no pavement), at
least as much room as you would when overtaking a car
(see Rules 162 to
). Drivers should take extra care and give more space when overtaking
motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders, horse drawn vehicles and pedestrians in
bad weather (including high winds) and at night. If the rider looks over their
shoulder, it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change
direction. Give them time and space to do so."

Now, that looks a lot, but in principle, it should make us bikers safer. It puts the emphasis on car, van and lorry drivers to look out for us and to take extra care at junctions. The "sorry mate, I did not see you" excuse is not acceptable, as drivers have to proactively look out for us. Then, we have to take more care of pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders and the biggest change is we need to give way to them at junctions.

The emphasis about junctions is because so many accidents happen there. The good news is that it is getting safer for everyone, except cyclists;

FJTFVviXIAI-PQa?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Throttled
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At junctions, no matter which direction a pedestrian is crossing, they get priority.

Cyclists who used to be encouraged to ride at the side of the road, are now to ride in the middle of the lane.

aa54a856916b946c53bc270cc2d6f19b.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just wait till cyclists and ambulance claim chasers realise they can walk out with impunity and beware those who will slam brakes on turning and say oppps pedestrian. 

Sounds good on paper in reality I can see it causing as many accidents as its trying to stop. 

We have lots of single track roads, 2 meters distance is not an option, I'm all for giving as much room as possible but how long till you get done for not waiting behind a group of lycra for 10mile, they will all know exactly how much room you should be giving and will all have cams with laser distance measuring built in 😁 

• Sad 1

The old rule was that if a pedestrian was already crossing a road you are turning into you had to give them right of way. The new rule is that they can step off the pavement and have right of way is going to encourage those numpties who cross without looking. This will mean vehicles needing to do more emergency stops and lead to more rear end shunts. On that score the old rule was safer if it had been followed - the problem was it wasn't - road uses never gave way to pedestrians already crossing. 

These revisions probably come from the same people who thought smart motorways were a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

As a driver in the Glasgow area, pedestrians just walking out into the road as if they have right of way, has been a thing for decades. I already slow and keep an eye on pedestrians anyway. Horse riders know to be careful anyway, as the horse has no idea of the Highway Code. It is the cyclists who I think will cause the most problems.

• Like 2

I think when I did my Cycling Proficiency test 50 years ago I was taught to cycle at the near side. 

However for many years now. At least twenty. Cyclists have been taught to cycle in the centre of their lane. 

so I don’t actually see that this is a new thing. 

Hi.

As regards rule H2. Ref Roads turning into. As has been previously mentioned there's going to be some rear end bumps. Tailgaters and other following vehicles intending to go straight on will be the main culprits, not paying attention while you are about to make your turn and then you having to give way to pedestrians.

As a cyclist and a motor cyclist I'll be keeping well to the left in a left turn. I fear the worst when intending a right and I have to remain stationary in the middle of the road.

In the the busy towns and cities a vehicle could be waiting a very long time for the junction to be clear of pedestrians.

Regards.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Granty said:

Hi.

As regards rule H2. Ref Roads turning into. As has been previously mentioned there's going to be some rear end bumps. Tailgaters and other following vehicles intending to go straight on will be the main culprits, not paying attention while you are about to make your turn and then you having to give way to pedestrians.

As a cyclist and a motor cyclist I'll be keeping well to the left in a left turn. I fear the worst when intending a right and I have to remain stationary in the middle of the road.

In the the busy towns and cities a vehicle could be waiting a very long time for the junction to be clear of pedestrians.

Regards.  

Yup had that thought too about city, turning left or right, but they want cars out of the city so maybe its all part of the plan

• Like 1

For rule H2, it basically means that when you're in a town and you come a junction on the left, if you see any pedestrians anywhere near, you're going to have to stop. Where you get streams of people on the pavements town centres will be impossible to drive through, I'd have thought.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bonio said:

For rule H2, it basically means that when you're in a town and you come a junction on the left, if you see any pedestrians anywhere near, you're going to have to stop. Where you get streams of people on the pavements town centres will be impossible to drive through, I'd have thought.

Pretty much

Edit, no, driving straight through will be fine, turning off won't be 😂 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bonio said:

It's going to make for a lot of fun in central London at commuter hours 

I wonder if they will apply these new laws in the same rigorous manner  they apply no cycling on the pavement laws🙄 In my town they spend a fortune and caused huge traffic issues for about a year putting  cycle paths in and nobody uses them everytime I walk into town at leat 2 or 3 cyclist  go past me on the pavement literally a foot away from the cycle path on the road.

The subtle differences are in the words 'Should' & 'Must'

"Rule H2
Rule for drivers, motorcyclists, horse drawn vehicles, horse riders and cyclists

At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a
road into which or from which you are turning.

You MUST give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians

Pedestrians have priority when on a zebra crossing, on a parallel crossing or at
light controlled crossings when they have a green signal.

You should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and to
pedestrians and cyclists waiting to cross a parallel crossing."

So, if they are not actually on the crossing, you should give priority,  but it's not compulsory. If they are on the crossing you must give priority  compulsorily ?

Tis the way I understand it.

Shep 

1 minute ago, Shepherd said:

The subtle differences are in the words 'Should' & 'Must'

"Rule H2
Rule for drivers, motorcyclists, horse drawn vehicles, horse riders and cyclists

At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a
road into which or from which you are turning.

You MUST give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and to pedestrians

Pedestrians have priority when on a zebra crossing, on a parallel crossing or at
light controlled crossings when they have a green signal.

You should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and to
pedestrians and cyclists waiting to cross a parallel crossing."

So, if they are not actually on the crossing, you should give priority,  but it's not compulsory. If they are on the crossing you must give priority  compulsorily ?

Tis the way I understand it.

Shep 

It is but the  responsibility is going to be on the motorist, the whole hierarchy malarkey is going to be used to apportion blame. 

I don't personally think it's going to change the way some people drive,  I just think it'll change the way they get prosecuted.  Rule 163 would have been difficult to adhere to if I'd have been in the car yesterday, two horse riders on a narrow country lane, riding side by side.  In a car I would not have been able to give a 2m clearance to overtake, I would therefore,  according to the new rule, have to stay behind them.  That would mean I would have been behind them for the next two miles.  I do agree with passing slow and wide but I also think there should be an element of common sense and courtesy.  If I was stuck behind people travelling at walking pace I would expect,  when safe to do so, that they allow the potential build up of traffic behind them to pass.  It's just mutual respect for one another.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, daveinlim said:

It's going to make for a lot of fun in central London at commuter hours 

Most junctions in the town near me are traffic light controlled, so pedestrians have to wait for the lights.

12 minutes ago, goat said:

Walthamstow adopted similar rules for pedestrians crossing side roads, blended crossing I think they were called, wasn't a problem. 

Ahhh yes also known as confusing 😂 like the raised ribbed sections some councils put in that stopped filtering. 

Believe that in UK should be similar as in EU, pedestrian shall cross the road only on zebra crossing.

But i don’t see them much in UK.

So driver will be aware where legal crossings are, and same for pedestrians.

Than if they are crossing out of  zebra crossing, they fault.

in us you can get fined crossing out of zebra crossing 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marino said:

Believe that in UK should be similar as in EU, pedestrian shall cross the road only on zebra crossing.

But i don’t see them much in UK.

So driver will be aware where legal crossings are, and same for pedestrians.

Than if they are crossing out of  zebra crossing, they fault.

in us you can get fined crossing out of zebra crossing 

We have a junior school nearby and there are 2 sets of pelican crossings about 200 yards apart outside the school. And guess what mkst parents seem to think it is fine just to cross anywhere and in zome insrance firce vehickes to take avoiding action. 🙄