More comfortable, far superior noise reduction, more aerodynamic. Usually have a higher score on safety tests.

Saying that there's nothing wrong with a £100 helmet if you get a trusted brand like caberg or hjc for example. I think my caberg lid was around £160 and it lasted well.

• Like 1

All helmets sold in the UK must meet the British standard or ECE.

I have two helmets .. one cost £80 (polycarbonate) and another cost £300 (carbon fibre). Both fit well and are comfortable with the main difference being the carbon helmet is lighter and there is less wind noise.

I use three helmets, two Schubert’s and a flip up that I bought from Lidl. I feel that I should think that the more expensive helmets are much safer but I don’t. For most local riding it’s the Lidl one that gets used. 

• Like 1

There are those that say more money safer and better.

For me it's cheap, comfortable, sharp rated helmet.

With pin-lock, sun visor, NO D rings and flip front.

I would rather a cheaper helmet replaced more frequently than expensive one.  We all however make it own choices..

• Like 1

I buy Shoei helmets as a matter of course. They fit me well, and are comfortable, quiet and have excellent ventilation. The fittings are good quality and work well.  I guess you could say that I have confidence in them. I’m on my second Neotec and will be buying another as a replacement later this year. They cost IRO £500 and I change every five years (I would add that my good lady also has a Neotec for the convenience at passport control at borders - the pandemic kinda undermined that benefit). 

To my mind an average cost of £2 a week for those features is well worth it.

Would I buy a £100 helmet? Only if my circumstances changed drastically. As a good friend says, buy cheap, buy twice. 

My old hjc is17 is available now for £99 with 5* Sharp. Also has a drop down internal sun visor. My newer hjc rpha-11 was £300is and has a much smaller shell which is nice (less bobble head) but only 3* Sharp! And, being a race lid, no internal drop down visor... But it looks cooler... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cbfhappy said:

hi 

I am newish to biking and was wanting to know what the differance is between a £100 helmet and a £300 helmet apart from the cost obvs. what do you get in the more expensive lids.

thanks.

The simple answer is the more you pay the more you get.

You can break that down to items like:

air tunnel testing. so, air turbulence will not lead to buffeting. which can be a major pain in the neck.

lighter but stronger materials. weight is always a major issue for some people.

ease of use, like replacing the visor being a very simple process. with 'strong' fixings that won't easily break.

removable and/or washable linings.

linings of differing sizes so a helmet can be better sized to fit. Are treated to prevent odours due to sweat and will dry out very fast if they do become sweaty.

Vents that actually work.. that will aid with cooling in the summer and preventing steaming up in cooler weather.

Design features that go above and beyond the minimum safety standards.

Larger than standard openings so you have a better view.. angle of view.

Blue tooth.. which is now a very big deal for a lot of people who want full access to their phone at all times. and/or their GPS.

And there is probably a lot more than this.

You might get one or two.. or a few more of the above with a £100 helmet, but the more you pay then the more of the above are included. (usually)

• Like 1

This is my current lid, it's super light which is a massive plus for me. Interior is comfy, generally well made and has the air pump for the padding to get good fit. Came with clear, tinted visor and the pinlock. A good midprice helmet and fits like a glove 

I've got a weird shaped head I think as the only helmets that fit me comfortably are Schuberth and for that you will pay. I got my current one on an extremely good price as its a C3 Pro and had been supposedly superceded by the C4. However the C4 turned out to be crap so there's a new C5 out now which I will probably get in due course when my current one reaches its end of life. Not cheap though.

3 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

This is my current lid, it's super light which is a massive plus for me. Interior is comfy, generally well made and has the air pump for the padding to get good fit. Came with clear, tinted visor and the pinlock. A good midprice helmet and fits like a glove 

Like a 🔔🔚 I didn't add the link lol

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/382189

I ordered a helmet, gloves and boots from rideto.com on Saturday. Haven't had any delivery updates so I decided to email them. They said they have no history of any orders from the name and email address I supplied. I emailed them back stating the order numbers and date of purchase so hopefully that pushes things forward. Has anyone had any issues using them before?

It's not a company I've heard of I'll be honest, what are their reviews like. With motorcycle kit I tend to want to try it on helmets especially, as its been said their shapes can vary. 

Excellent reviews. It's a legit website. They got back to me saying the orders have been processed and will be shipped in a day or two. 

It's not a company I've heard of I'll be honest, what are their reviews like. With motorcycle kit I tend to want to try it on helmets especially, as its been said their shapes can vary. 

Yeah same for me. Helmets and gloves are all very different for various manufacturers.

1 hour ago, JayMutt said:

Excellent reviews. It's a legit website. They got back to me saying the orders have been processed and will be shipped in a day or two. 

Helmets and gloves really need trying on, you may be OK but I've had good fit from one helmet then had another same size I could hardly get on. 

3 hours ago, Bender said:

Helmets and gloves really need trying on, you may be OK but I've had good fit from one helmet then had another same size I could hardly get on. 

yes same goes for jacket and pants , i have just come unstuck again with a jacket on the internet the arms are two inches too long 🤨

• Like 1