Buell Firebolt 987 cc review

Richard

For those that don’t know Buell basically it’s a modified Harley Davidson engine in a very small ( think 250 size) frame, the petrol tank is the frame and the oil tank is the swing arm. Stunning handling with very a lot of vibration at low rev. 
I have had many bikes, ( I was on here as TNT many years ago) and it’s a favourite.

95 bhp

50+ to the gallon

belt drive 

oddly comfortable 

72A928FB-82DD-40F2-8CAC-93CC3E8756C9.jpeg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Richard said:

For those that don’t know Buell basically it’s a modified Harley Davidson engine in a very small ( think 250 size) frame, the petrol tank is the frame and the oil tank is the swing arm. Stunning handling with very a lot of vibration at low rev. 
I have had many bikes, ( I was on here as TNT many years ago) and it’s a favourite.

95 bhp

50+ to the gallon

belt drive 

oddly comfortable 

72A928FB-82DD-40F2-8CAC-93CC3E8756C9.jpeg

I test rode a Firebolt, I found it cramped even compared to my GSXR750 at the time.

Handling was great.

Worst bit was constantly hitting the rev limiter as it was considerably lower than the Gixxer, not something you want to happen when performing a cheeky squeaky overtake !!

I agree it’s small, I have Renthal bars on which de cramp you a bit. As for the lower rev, I understand different bikes for different purposes, I don’t ride at full chat, so it doesn’t worry me. It definitely is not a bike for all people 

Thanks Stuart, I would but I can’t remember how to get in it at all, different email and password. If it could be reset to current I would, sadly I could not see how to with my Luddite capabilities 

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

Thanks Stuart, I would but I can’t remember how to get in it at all, different email and password. If it could be reset to current I would, sadly I could not see how to with my Luddite capabilities 

When I get chance I will merge the two accounts for you and you will just login as normal using this account :thumb:

Now back to the buell! 

I was offered one of these for 2.5k when I was looking to buy the TL many moons ago! 

I really wanted it but had my heart set on the TL and I do regret not buying it 

They are suppose to handle superbly 

The original idea was for these bikes to be sold as Harley Davidsons but Harley changed its mind . All the Buell developed engine modifications , however , were incorporated into the 2004 Sportster i.e. big valves , higher compression , rubber mounts  and bigger cooling fins . And that's good because I've got one .😊

Screenshot_20211008-084537.png

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Now back to the buell! 

I was offered one of these for 2.5k when I was looking to buy the TL many moons ago! 

I really wanted it but had my heart set on the TL and I do regret not buying it 

They are suppose to handle superbly 

29 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Talking of slightly different bikes I always liked the idea of the yamaha szr660 a sporty little single! 

I have never ridden one, but I very much like the different and not necessarily the best bike out there. It’s important that we are all different otherwise we would have nothing to put photos up about or challenge. 

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

Talking of slightly different bikes I always liked the idea of the yamaha szr660 a sporty little single! 

I've only ever seen one . I always thought the tank was an awkward shape at the back . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I have never ridden one, but I very much like the different and not necessarily the best bike out there. It’s important that we are all different otherwise we would have nothing to put photos up about or challenge. 

I've owned a couple of FT500' s or Ascots as they were known in the US . I only paid a few hundred quid . Nowadays you can't find  them very often and they go for stupid money . Great fun to ride . Bloody hell rusty stand and a ripped seat . One of mine was nicer than that and I only paid £200 I think . 

Screenshot_20220121-002123.png

Edited by fastbob

• 11 months later...