Bike Insurance Prices for Lexmoto Tempest 125cc

Matt88

Hi Everyone, I'm about to book my CBT and am getting insurance quotes, I'm a homeowner and have held a car licence for 15 years (9 years no claims bonus), aged 33, no points or endorsements and my quote for insuring a Lexmoto Tempest 125cc was £270 third party fire and theft with a £250 excess from my current car insurance provider and higher with other companies, is it normal for bike insurance to be this expensive on 125CC's when starting out with L-Plates? Any advice you have would be great :)

Thought the Lexmoto Tempest 125 was a good choice given its slim handlebar width which means i can get it down my alleyway, was also considering buying a 125cc cruiser like the AJS highway Star or one of their vintage style scramblers; was considering going second hand japanese but finally decided on something new in the £2,000 - £3,000 price range, any advice would be great :)

Thanks for all your help  

Matt

Hmmmm my insurance for a 125 was about 125 ish I think. 

Advice, Chinese New I would not recommend, a look through the numerous posts on here from folk popping up with problems should give you a clue, second hand jap all the way. 

Look after it and it will be worth the same as what you paid (jap)

Chinese, have you checked service costs they usually have ridiculous service intervals and miss one warranty for what it's worth will be out the window. 

When I started everyone told me don't get chinese bike, I didn't, got a cbf for 1k, kept it a year got 1k back for it,. 

Pays money and takes chance, have you compared quotes for used jap? 

12 minutes ago, Matt88 said:

Hi Everyone, I'm about to book my CBT and am getting insurance quotes, I'm a homeowner and have held a car licence for 15 years (9 years no claims bonus), aged 33, no points or endorsements and my quote for insuring a Lexmoto Tempest 125cc was £270 third party fire and theft with a £250 excess from my current car insurance provider and higher with other companies, is it normal for bike insurance to be this expensive on 125CC's when starting out with L-Plates? Any advice you have would be great :)

Thought the Lexmoto Tempest 125 was a good choice given its slim handlebar width which means i can get it down my alleyway, was also considering buying a 125cc cruiser like the AJS highway Star or one of their vintage style scramblers; was considering going second hand japanese but finally decided on something new in the £2,000 - £3,000 price range, any advice would be great :)

Thanks for all your help  

Matt

Buying a Chinese bike will probably depreciate more than a Japanese bike. It will probably be easier to sell on when too when the time comes.

125 bikes can be more expensive to insure because they tend to get stolen more and crashed more. They are the bikes ridden by novice and inexperienced riders. 

Totally agree on the view that buying a used Japanese bike is the way to go. More reliable, better spares availability, look after it and you will get your money back when you trade it in.

Chinese bikes seem good value but you lose a huge amount on depreciation.

Matt, what are you looking to do after your cbt. Stick with a 125 or look to go bigger? 

It depends where you live along with other things but as you are new to bikes this will push the price up along with the fact they are easy to steal when you are out and about. Without the garage it would have been higher. The tempest is an older lexmoto model, I believe it has stainless exhaust and better then older models however if you are buying new you should be able to pick one up well below 2k. As its been said crazy service Intervals. If you can do the maintainance yourself it's not hard on a 125 and would keep your costs down as most likely the fitted tyres will be a bit shit in the wet and need changing 

14 hours ago, Matt88 said:

Thanks for all your help  

Matt

My situation is pretty close to yours but I have a few years NCB and my insurance quotes are double yours. God I need to get out of London 😂

• Haha 1

£270 you think is expensive?  My first insurance was £1300. 

Only MCE quoted less (around £500, with a £2000 excess).

And i'm not in London.

Pretty sure car NCB don't count at all towards mbike insurance?

Definitely go second hand Jap.

Easily recoup the money you spent on it if you get a good one

after a year it'll be worth the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peatear said:

£270 you think is expensive?  My first insurance was £1300. 

Only MCE quoted less (around £500, with a £2000 excess).

And i'm not in London.

Pretty sure car NCB don't count at all towards mbike insurance?

Definitely go second hand Jap.

Easily recoup the money you spent on it if you get a good one

after a year it'll be worth the same.

That's eye watering.