Any suggestions on how to clean your wheels?…..

Troy

I’ve been meaning to clean my motorcycle rims for a little while now but I keep putting it off because of how long and tedious it can be. 

I am open to suggestions and little tips that make things easier for cleaning the wheels.

Are there any specific products or little “hacks” with stuff you might have in the kitchen cupboard or shed?

I’m more focused on the rear wheel as it takes a lot more punishment from chain grease and stuff. Please bear in mind,  that my wheels will be pretty dirty since I haven’t touched them since I got the bike well over a year ago (I know… I’m suffering now for it)….. so I’d like to hear the most efficient methods you may have. 

Edited by Troy

Cast wheels are easier than spoked, if your profile is up to date you have cast wheels. 

I tend to rinse the whole bike down with a low pressure jet washer. Snow foam leave for 10 then blast over again. Then use the 2 bucket method of cleaning. After that I have a spray bottle with silkolene fuchs off {like muc off} spray the wheels and then go over by hand with a wet microfibre cloth that should do it. You can use parafin on any stubborn bits. Spray on degreasers tend to be expensive for what they are. Then rinse wheels again. I put silicone type spray on after in the  in winter months makes cleaning next time easier just make sure you avoid the tyres and brakes. 

I do the same as MikeHorton. 

Since, spray foam, leave for a little bit. Cleaning the bike start at the top and work your way down. No point cleaning wheels then doing the frame and having that gunk land on your clean wheels. 

I haven't.got a stand for the bike. I have a roller I put the bike on. That way you can spin the wheel without having to move the bike. 

Once it's clean and dry then lube the chain and put on a layer of spray to help protect the clean bike. 

Final step is to go for a quick spin then look at the bike covered in crud and start over again. 

• Haha 1

I use this stuff, bought it of fleabay.  Not cheap but it's absolutely brilliant.  I take my time with it, give the wheels a good clean, I find I only have to use it occasionally,  the rest of the time I just wash the wheels in soap and warm water and the muck just rolls of them.

s-l1600.jpeg

I find front wheel easy to clean with a spray of wheel cleaner, then wash it like the rest of the bike. I work form top to bottom, wheels last.

Rear wheel usually covered in chain grease, so I use degreaser  spray on and leave to soak, often needs agitating with a brush as well.

Wash it off then wash the whole bike.

As commented above, deal with the wheels first, then wash the whole bike, wheels again but last.

As I already have paraffin (for chain cleaning) in the cupboard, I use that on a cloth and anything oily just wipes off.  Follow that with a wash with ordinary car wash in warm water and that's it. takes a few minutes. certainly less than 5. (per wheel)

6 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

I put silicone type spray on after in the  in winter months makes cleaning next time easier just make sure you avoid the tyres and brakes. 

I once had a new Audi and in the handbook it recommended polishing the wheels with a good quality car wax to make future cleaning easier.

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nice and clean using wd40

no chain lube left :popcorn:

16429550378894096643036277756114.jpg

That's great if you have a new bike that's finished to a high standard but my Harley wheels are a mixture of polished and rough sand cast alloy so it's a once a year job with a toothbrush . 

Screenshot_20220123-163446.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fastbob said:

That's great if you have a new bike that's finished to a high standard but my Harley wheels are a mixture of polished and rough sand cast alloy so it's a once a year job with a toothbrush . 

Screenshot_20220123-163446.png

Why wouldn't wd40 work on those? 

2 hours ago, geofferz said:

Why wouldn't wd40 work on those? 

WD40 is about 70% solvent so I expect it would work pretty well . I'll give it a go next time because the cheap foaming Wheel Cleaner I do use leaves the wheels without any protection . 

A friend sent a picture of her method for cleaning her back wheel.

In the bath with her...  Bubble bath and elbow grease seemed to work.

She did say she couldn't clean the front wheel that way, it would wreck the wheel bearings 🤔

My technique? The oil helps protect the rim...  Leave it there..

5 hours ago, onesea said:

A friend sent a picture of her method for cleaning her back wheel.

In the bath with her...  Bubble bath and elbow grease seemed to work.

She did say she couldn't clean the front wheel that way, it would wreck the wheel bearings 🤔

My technique? The oil helps protect the rim...  Leave it there..

So having created this image you are unprepared to share this intriguing image with the gentlemen of this forum ? 

• Haha 5