Any suggestions on how to clean your wheels?…..

Troy

I use the household cleaning fluid "elbow grease" that comes in the spray bottle along with an old 1" paint brush to get in all the nooks and crannies. After leaving it for about 10 minutes to soak into the grime I give it another scrub with the brush and if necessary a kitchen pan scrubber, the type with foam on one side and a scrubbing pad on the other, then wash it of with warm soapy water followed by clean water. 

19 hours ago, fastbob said:

So having created this image you are unprepared to share this intriguing image with the gentlemen of this forum ? 

As gentlemen you will only be interested in the effectiveness of the cleaning method and result...

_20220125_210605.thumb.png.32aab8458ca4acf6189a5f9888c30cdd.png

_20220125_204945.png.077f36fbfd6566653bba37b4d321584f.png

_20220125_210638.thumb.png.73ed9c330c840e50df9c3bcccaa0ad75.png

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, geofferz said:

So your wheels don't get oily?! 

This was discussed on this forum a couple of years ago. BMW chain that doesn't need any lubrication. Costs £200+

no lubrication = no oil anywhere.

https://tinyurl.com/yc4a56hx

Ive been thinking about one of these for my bike as its the correct pitch, when my own chain needs replacing. expensive though.

Edited by Gerontious

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

This was discussed on this forum a couple of years ago. BMW chain that doesn't need any lubrication. Costs £200+

Ive been thinking about one of these for my bike as its the correct pitch, when my own chain needs replacing. expensive though.

How annoying. I've just changed my chain and could well have been tempted by such a thing. Don't know if it would fit the Mutley though.

My experience of the Nemo 2 type of oiler is that you get very little oil on the wheel because you can add little and often, and you can control it so you only add oil at slower speeds. 

Mine is direct from the factory in China so is branded Gidibi but it's exactly the same. I vary the oil I use in it according to the weather but it's a great way to use up half full containers of various oils. 

4 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

My experience of the Nemo 2 type of oiler is that you get very little oil on the wheel because you can add little and often, and you can control it so you only add oil at slower speeds. 

Mine is direct from the factory in China so is branded Gidibi but it's exactly the same. I vary the oil I use in it according to the weather but it's a great way to use up half full containers of various oils. 

I rated the gibidi one on my tracer I have a spare sat in a box I really need to fit it to the AT they are a bargain and really well made 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerontious said:

Is there any real world mileage figures on these yet?

It would be interested to know how long they last compared to traditional chains it would also help you decide if its worth the extra expense 

9 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is there any real world mileage figures on these yet?

It would be interested to know how long they last compared to traditional chains it would also help you decide if its worth the extra expense 

12,000 miles. for this example.

A few weeks later, Paul sent a text and a picture of his bike outside the Barber Museum in Birmingham, AL: “About 5,500 miles in, 3-4 hours of rain, some salty New England brine, already stretched about 5 mm. This is going to be interestinHis next update was at 10,000 miles. “No lube, no adjustments, no cleaning since installed. Slack is about 9 mm over factory spec.” The accompanying photo showed a grimy chain drooping slightly between the sprockets. 

Finally, an exasperated video text: “Here we are, 12,000 miles in and the chain is too slack for safety. I just rode from Lexington, KY, to New Hampshire, and had my rosary beads out for the last 5-6 hours!”

If you thought the M Endurance chain was the answer to your chain-maintenance prayers, sorry kids. We’re not there yet. 

The autopsy 

With the victim stretched out on the workbench, I could push and pull the length like an accordion and see play at nearly all the pivots. Some links had the telltale “red dust of death” that indicates failing sealing rings. No wonder Paul had his rosary beads out. 

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Reading that it would be a no go for me then 

indeed. the chain on my bike recently passed 12,000 miles and so far has only needed adjusting for slack once. and that was around 1,000 miles. Though I am very careful with lubrication. oil every 600 miles and oil/clean every 1200. Gear oil and cleaned with paraffin.

• Like 1

Just now, Gerontious said:

indeed. the chain on my bike recently passed 12,000 miles and so far has only needed adjusting for slack once. and that was around 1,000 miles. Though I am very careful with lubrication. oil every 600 miles and oil/clean every 1200. Gear oil and cleaned with paraffin.

With careful attention you will get many miles out of a chain as you are seeing 

I know one person that got 20k with one adjustment with a correctly adjusted scottoiler and just general cleaning 

1 hour ago, Joe85 said:

Not really. Well, so little that they’re able to be wiped clean with hot water and a mit. 

Surely one wash and the mitt is done? 

I use wd40 and kitchen towell

18 hours ago, Gerontious said:

cool!  Is there a suzuki or generic one?  I've googled for 3 seconds to no avail...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, geofferz said:

cool!  Is there a suzuki or generic one?  I've googled for 3 seconds to no avail...

I don’t know. As far as I can tell these are made specifically for BMW. So it’s a matter of pot luck if they produce one that just happens to fit your bike too. However I did find that Regina are producing chains with identical specifications and so they might be a better or easier choice. They are called “High Performance Endurance chain”. However Regina do recommend minimal maintenance.