Bike slipped at 60mph

techniques

Where I live, there's a 50mph road that splits into joining the motorway or continuing on to the next town. 

I waited for the car in front to jump into the motorway lane (aka. get the f out of the way) and then I opened my baby up.  I was leaning and accelerating as the road curves around.

Suddenly, I felt my bike lose traction and the whole machine was sliding, with me already leant over. I look at the speedo. 60somethingMPH.  *explitive.* "Please Lord, not at 60mph." I thought to myself.  I let off the throttle and she corrected herself. 

1) It's still too cold. 2) I'm ordering a new pair of boxers as I type this.

Edited by techniques
typo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Also, keep it in a lower gear to stop wheel spin. I like to take my weight on the pegs so if it starts to highside its not just pushing up on my backside. Less unsprung weight too= more traction.

But yeah. Its like riding on honey.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pbassred said:

Also, keep it in a lower gear to stop wheel spin. I like to take my weight on the pegs so if it starts to highside its not just pushing up on my backside. Less unsprung weight too= more traction.

But yeah. Its like riding on honey.

Never ridden on honey but having had the doubtful pleasure of cleaning up the kitchen floor after smashing a full jar I kind of think it would be as sticky as anything. The exact opposite of slippy in fact.😁

10 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Never ridden on honey but having had the doubtful pleasure of cleaning up the kitchen floor after smashing a full jar I kind of think it would be as sticky as anything. The exact opposite of slippy in fact.😁

When I extract honey I can confirm that it is very sticky stuff. Everything it comes into contact with sticks to everything else.

15 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

At last a comment from someone who genuinely can be described as knowing what he is talking about lol.

How are the hives doing @Mississippi Bullfrog?

Cheers

Ian

I've reduced them to four over the winter to combine them for stronger colonies. All four were flying today which is a good sign. This is the most dangerous time for them as they've used most of their winter stores by now but there isn't much forage for them yet. A late spring, or wet cold weather, can be lethal for them.

I make my own sugar fondant for them and did a batch yesterday - our kitchen looks like a scene from Breaking Bad when I'm cooking. 

One hive needed a new block this morning so I took the roof off and put a new block of fondant over the feed hole.  The rest still have the block I put on just before Christmas. 

My mead has finished the first fermentation so when I get time I'll bottle it with a bit more honey to kick start a second fermentation. It ends up very dry and very slightly sparkling. The dryness indicates all the honey has been turned into alcohol and as it ages it is getting increasingly potent.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, dynax said:

I had a few twitchy moments this morning going round the roundabouts.

The weather is picking up though :thumb:

Last ride 100 odd miles, I had a few twitches on the corners. As others have said roads don’t have much grip at moment,

I prove it last night to the misses by putting the car in 4wd drive and then sideways round a roundabout she was not impressed 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Someone decided he didn't like queuing in town today and jumped from his lane into mine without looking.

In the wet, I braked and the back wheel locked and slid out.   Let go of the front brake and everything straightened up again. Not quite a 60mph slide but made me question how I could have better dealt with it.

7 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Someone decided he didn't like queuing in town today and jumped from his lane into mine without looking.

In the wet, I braked and the back wheel locked and slid out.   Let go of the front brake and everything straightened up again. Not quite a 60mph slide but made me question how I could have better dealt with it.

Attend an i2i training course. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Not heard of that before, looks good thanks.

I’ve done two of his courses. Tom is “as mad as a box of frogs” to quote a mate of mine, “but really knows his stuff and Is a great instructor”. His teaching style is kinda different but he’s open to discussion as he explains the theory and shows how it’s put into practice - then it’s your turn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fiddlesticks said:

That's why I'm glad I have dual ABS on the bike. I get too many idiots that decide they are in the wrong lane at lights so change lane without looking or indicating 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

A couple of thoughts.

Have you looked at the Dan Dan the Fireman channel on YouTube. He gets a bit repetitive because he focusses on common accident situations, one of which is people who change lanes without looking. If you watch a few episodes you'll see the pattern developing. Often it's how we avoid being in that situation or spotting it before it develops which is helpful.

The other point he makes time and time again is how to respond when you're in the red zone - ie the brown stuff is heading for the fan. Locking wheels happens for reasons and often we can avoid those reasons developing. So, for example, a rear wheel will lock as the weight shifts forward when the front suspension compresses. In an emergency you use the rear lightly and let if off as soon as the front dips. The front needs to be loaded before any hard braking is done or the tyre will slip - so it's about progressive braking rather than grabbing a handful suddenly.

He's a bit annoying but he does make the point that common situations can be avoided before they happen if you know what to watch out for and how to be constantly planning how to respond.

• Like 1

Just now, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

A couple of thoughts.

Have you looked at the Dan Dan the Fireman channel on YouTube. He gets a bit repetitive because he focusses on common accident situations, one of which is people who change lanes without looking. If you watch a few episodes you'll see the pattern developing. Often it's how we avoid being in that situation or spotting it before it develops which is helpful.

The other point he makes time and time again is how to respond when you're in the red zone - ie the brown stuff is heading for the fan. Locking wheels happens for reasons and often we can avoid those reasons developing. So, for example, a rear wheel will lock as the weight shifts forward when the front suspension compresses. In an emergency you use the rear lightly and let if off as soon as the front dips. The front needs to be loaded before any hard braking is done or the tyre will slip - so it's about progressive braking rather than grabbing a handful suddenly.

He's a bit annoying but he does make the point that common situations can be avoided before they happen if you know what to watch out for and how to be constantly planning how to respond.

Good info,  thank you.

9 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

A couple of thoughts.

Having been of because of front wheel lock up.  

I have learned to brake for the hazard not to stop immediately.

Sounds crazy but if you think I must stop before I hit... 

Not MUST STOP NOW!

Your breaking becomes much more controlled...

On 03/02/2022 at 17:29, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

When I extract honey I can confirm that it is very sticky stuff. Everything it comes into contact with sticks to everything else.

Screenshot_20220218-000224.png

• Like 3

The most anoying thing about Dan Dan the fireman is the he has a never ending supply of videos to talk through.

The idea of which brake to use is one of those things that doesn't get taught.  Even in my Mod1 I had a minor rear lock-up on the emergengy stop because no one told me how lightly to use it.  The harder I need to brake, the less weight I will have on the rear.  Now my rule is simple: I do not use the rear brake above 30MPH ... EVER!

• Like 2