New 'hierarchy' on the road

Breezin

These rules are going to be interesting.

Not just passing cyclists, horses etc. Down here there are miles of road cars will be unable to pass cyclists for, they are just not wide enough.

The new rules regarding animals will create some brilliant traffic in the forest where they roam free...

At this time of road they lick salt of the roads and will not move until your almost touching them...

Another one is turning into side roads. Not the pedestrians you can see but the ones you cannot.

Imho People are going to get hurt and drivers blamed, when there is little they can do about it.

How often when you turn a into side roads do you have a clear view of the pavement either side?

New places will become hotspots for accidents, because drivers can't see round corners or behind parked Vans etc..

ZigZags are before pedestrian crossing for a reason.

Some pedestrians scooter riders, cyclists will take advantage. 

There are roads that will come to a standstill due to a constant stream of pedestrians...

EG roads around schools, mum's and children in a near constant stream for 30 minutes+

Will they stop and let cars out of side roads?

I know the mantra will be slow down look, there is going to be allot of old habits for people to change...

• Like 1

On the other hand we live on a rural lane where some stretches have no pavement so pedestrians have to walk on the road. 

Some cars will slow down and some move out to pass wide. But quite a lot don't reduce their speed or move out at all. They will pass at speed with literally inches clearance. 

I think the change in culture to remove the sense of entitlement some drivers have will be helpful, but I'm not sure all of the practicalities will work as well as expected.

For example, yesterday I had to pass a group of 7 cyclists who were riding four abreast blocking one side of the road. There was room to overtake giving the cyclist on the inside 2m clearance, but not the one riding down the middle of the road. 

• Like 2

What gets me with all this crap is that those numpties in lycra have to be given at least 2m clearance when WE go past them but they dont give 2 hoots about that when they squeeze down the inside at traffic lights and other areas where normal road users are and either scratch the side of cars and or knock wing mirrors off and then cap it all off by riding straight through red lights.

My missus thinks that as motorcyclists we should be allowed to whack em on the back of the head when we go past just to let them know that they don't own the road. Wouldn't be too bad if they had insurance to cover them for all the damage they do. They should also be made to pay road tax like every other vehicle that uses the roads has to

• Like 3

So we have to pass cyclists  and horse riders by 2m.  A lot of narrow country lanes on this island where that is totally impossible.  Secondly, just a thought,  what if you're driving towards cyclists who are approaching in the opposite direction, you're unable to pass in the opposite direction giving the stipulated 2m clearance so are we now expected to, when approaching in the opposite direction, to come to a stop, pay homage and allow them to pass??

Edited by manxie49
  • Haha 1

I was thinking more that it might be a positive, and add to the onus on car drivers to take more care about motorcyclists.

I don't get the hostility towards cyclists (which seems quite a recent phenomenon, probably encouraged by media that get a huge wedge of their money selling cars). I'd much rather share the road with cyclists (yes, I am one of those too) than with greedy, entitled SUV drivers. Yes, there are the few idiots, often in lycra, who insist on blocking the road etc, but every group has its share of those types.

1 hour ago, Breezin said:

I was thinking more that it might be a positive, and add to the onus on car drivers to take more care about motorcyclists.

I don't get the hostility towards cyclists (which seems quite a recent phenomenon, probably encouraged by media that get a huge wedge of their money selling cars). I'd much rather share the road with cyclists (yes, I am one of those too) than with greedy, entitled SUV drivers. Yes, there are the few idiots, often in lycra, who insist on blocking the road etc, but every group has its share of those types.

Problem is the idiots in cars are mostly insured and  traceable the idiots on 2 wheels are mostly not insured and untraceable. 

I was in town 2weeks ago cyclist to avoid red light traffic,  crossed over with cars coming towards him, onto crowded path 100ft down path,  cut back across road through the red light on the wrong side of the road, onto another pavement, all watched by 2 police on horseback who did bugger all, there were kids and old folk had I thought about it I should have stepped in front of the twat. 

Had a car run just the red light you can guarantee it would have been done. 

Agreed twats in every walk of life. 

• Like 1

I was in London just before Christmas with my grandsons and we stepped into the road at a pedestrian crossing with a green light for us and a cyclist missed us by inches going through a red light. As my eldest grandson said "that was a very rude man!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These rules have been introduced by the same people who think smart motorways are a good idea.

After 38 deaths attributed to them , they are reviewing them.

How many pedestrians are going to be knocked down before this stupid rule is changed.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, onesea said:

Imho People are going to get hurt and drivers blamed, when there is little they can do about it.

And the lawyers won't be going hungry.

It depends on how the new laws are presented.

Looking at how this advice is presented:

Picture 1 All very good but as motorcyclist I don’t stay in that position I move about so cars at junctions can see me.  Not just the gap in traffic I have created.  As a cyclist you will have to be aware any cars behind the white one will not see your there.
Picture 2 Fine however they should be aware riding like that cars cannot pass because of  rule shown in Picture 3.

Picture 4 Motorcyclists are asking for the option of using bus lanes for our safety yet cyclist being told they are not obliged to use the lanes provided for there safety..

Picture 5 if it was a motorcyclist that passed a car signalling to turn into my path the insurance companies would fight over who’s fault it was.  Certainly not a risk I would take….

E8612904-7536-47D5-A056-7ECB82A45CC2.thumb.png.a9463dbdb87a437f8b3aef41d81e43ae.png

https://www.facebook.com/MangoBikes/photos/a.580368878714732/4886645951420315/

Why mistrusted of the new Rules, yesterday on the bike group of 3 cyclists 2 abreast one behind, doing about 10mph. My mate over took easily, my turn bike No 3 stops my overtake 3 times by moving very near to centre line and back to inside again.

Cyclist no 3 eventually over takes cyclists 1&2.

I go to overtake cyclists no 2 pulls out to white line puts hand out to stop me.

Moves back in cycles another 100m again I go to over take they both move into the middle signal and pull into a drive way.

When i over take cyclist no 3 he moves out to the outside of his lane, as i do.  Guessing his likely reaction i am all but in the gutter on opposite carriage way.

The bigger question is where on the scale does those to$$ers on electric scooters fit in! Pedestrian or cyclist?

Scooters are banned except in cirtain experimental locations. 

3 hours ago, onesea said:

It depends on how the new laws are presented.

Looking at how this advice is presented:

Picture 1 All very good but as motorcyclist I don’t stay in that position I move about so cars at junctions can see me.  Not just the gap in traffic I have created.  As a cyclist you will have to be aware any cars behind the white one will not see your there.
Picture 2 Fine however they should be aware riding like that cars cannot pass because of  rule shown in Picture 3.

Picture 4 Motorcyclists are asking for the option of using bus lanes for our safety yet cyclist being told they are not obliged to use the lanes provided for there safety..

Picture 5 if it was a motorcyclist that passed a car signalling to turn into my path the insurance companies would fight over who’s fault it was.  Certainly not a risk I would take….

E8612904-7536-47D5-A056-7ECB82A45CC2.thumb.png.a9463dbdb87a437f8b3aef41d81e43ae.png

https://www.facebook.com/MangoBikes/photos/a.580368878714732/4886645951420315/

Why mistrusted of the new Rules, yesterday on the bike group of 3 cyclists 2 abreast one behind, doing about 10mph. My mate over took easily, my turn bike No 3 stops my overtake 3 times by moving very near to centre line and back to inside again.

Cyclist no 3 eventually over takes cyclists 1&2.

I go to overtake cyclists no 2 pulls out to white line puts hand out to stop me.

Moves back in cycles another 100m again I go to over take they both move into the middle signal and pull into a drive way.

When i over take cyclist no 3 he moves out to the outside of his lane, as i do.  Guessing his likely reaction i am all but in the gutter on opposite carriage way.

Picture 5 is insane. Any cyclist who undercuts a vehicle indicating he's turning left deserves all he gets. Sadly it'll be the driver who gets screwed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pbassred said:

So a pedestian can step out into traffic and its the car drivers fault?

What I really want to know is: who are the people who reviewed and signed all this off?

Same f**k wits who thought all lane running and managed motorways were a good idea.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Picture 5 is insane. Any cyclist who undercuts a vehicle indicating he's turning left deserves all he gets. Sadly it'll be the driver who gets screwed.

Yup and they will know it,some will hold back others will be straight down the inside and remember it will be the same for motorbikes, they will have to stop too. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, onesea said:

I wonder if the person who wrote the rules even saw them diagrammatically shown. As you're right, they completely contradict each other.

What really bugs me is these rules appear to have been made by someone who lives in London and hasn't considered the rest of the country. Many roads around Britain pre-date cars, and as a result, are very narrow. Rule 2 and 3 will either make it impossible to pass legally. 

Rule 4 and 5 are just dangerous, I can see an exception made for cyclists whose progress is being slowed. But to completely exempt them from having to use them is just daft. And rule 5 will just encourage the "I'm allowed to be here" type of cyclist who routinely demonstrates that they'd rather die and be right, than live and get out of the way. 

But what really gets me is this contradicts an existing rule in the highway code, Rule 169, which reads: "Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass"

Casual cyclists I've seen pull over, but the lycra clad type sometimes give me the impression that they treat every car that gets past them as a personal failure...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

My thoughts exactly, just how is that sensible?

Obviously as riders/drivers we check for cyclists approaching a turn but the idea it's our fault if a suicidal cyclist takes the opportunity of us slowing and indicating to suddenly undercut us is ridiculous.

This is all part of legislating motor traffic off of the road. Eventually insurance will become impossible when the driver is held responsible for things beyond their control.

• Like 1