UK to Majorca ride

Neville

I'm 65 years old, and will be riding my Triumph street triple 675R solo, from UK to Majorca, via Barcelona, in September this year. Probably my last big adventure. Well, big for me anyway. So I'm getting the overnight ferry from Barcelona, and I'm thinking about overnighting in or around Vierzon in France I would appreciate any advice from folks that have done this sort of trip before and look forward to all responses thanks.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

In reply to your original question

I'm thinking about overnighting in or around Vierzon in France I would appreciate any advice from folks that have done this sort of trip before” 
First where you will enter France? I ask as Vierzon is quite a distance to travel from the tunnel or Dover crossings in one day on a bike. When I go from my place just north of Le Mans to the south I normally stop in Vierzon at either the Keyrad or Campanile just off the A71. Cheap and “Ok” for just one night, and you can book online. At that stage I have had enough Its quite tiring on an unfaired bike at a sustained 130kph for 5 hours from Caen 😰, if it’s relevant I am 69 by the way riding a Ducati monster 👴🏻

P.S I might be going that way myself towards the end of September - things quieten down after the main French holidays by then 

When we went Telford to torrevieja, years ago, on bikes.

We stopped at Orleans and Perpignon overnight and the reverse on the way back.

That works out at roughly 500 miles a day.

I was on a Fireblade at the time, I really wouldn't want to be doing any more than that

• Like 1

fOR ANY "NEWBIES" TO CONTINENTAL TRAVEL .ITS DEAD EASY -as long as you know the word "hotel" ,pension or whatever word that applies in the country you are going to you will be fine.Cost is usually far less on the continent and bikers are not looked down on. In France there are loads of cheap chain overnight stops -the cheapest being the F1 group always located near a peage junction -so easily found.A better one is the B&B group who offer a breakfast  but if you want an evening meal the Campagnile is better- you get a nicer  class of place.

I have been as far as Turkey -all around the BALTIC and frequently to Morocco. Spain is always a joy to stay in and the furtyher you go away from the tourist places the better.

Spanish roads seemed to have benefitted last / best from EU largess and unlike our potholed tracks you will love it. Be sure to avoid the motoways -they are oblidged to offer an A class road to the same destination -and the WORST rip off I had was a few miles around Barcelona on the city ring road motorway -cost a fortune!

at 70 now I may take it slower and "smell the flowers more" but its all in your mind! 6 weeks after a new hip I road to Portugal.

best place to go-the world is your oyster or was was it lobster?

only change post pandemic -get a UK not a GB sticker and check your insurance and license for where you are going.

bazza

• Like 3