Don't be a statistic.

Throttled

It's that time of year and many bikes come out of hibernation, don't become a statistic;

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/police-scotland-superintendent-stewart-mackies-warning-over-motorcyclist-bikers-death-statistics

"A police officer has urged fellow motorcyclists to exercise caution on roads over the weekend as Scotland is set to enjoy warm weather. 

Superintendent Stewart Mackie, a keen biker, issued the warning as it was revealed 90% of motorcyclist casualties are male

The deputy chief of road policing said a third of those killed in motorcycle crashes are aged between 40 and 49, and a marked increase in motorbike ownership in recent months may be due to people returning to biking after many years. 

He added that more than 85% of motorbike crashes occur in rural areas and can happen in the daytime and in good weather. "

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This was local to me just over a week ago. Full details not yet known. Straight stretch single cariageway crossroads 50 limit bends either side of the junction though. Car pulled out, no observation by driver or speeding bike maybe. Either way terrible 

My accidents have all been just me, so far I have not hit anything. Excluding a few topple overs when off road and a lean against a petrol pump in a garage forecourt, my accidents were;

1, 2 & 3 - front wheel lost grip and down I went, less than 10mph, once on a patch of mud, once on ice in a car park and once breaking heavily on a crap road surface.

4 - paddling forward to move the bike with a pillion and foot slipped, happened during a TMBF ride out, about 1mph.

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

This was local to me just over a week ago. Full details not yet known. Straight stretch single cariageway crossroads 50 limit bends either side of the junction though. Car pulled out, no observation by driver or speeding bike maybe. Either way terrible 

https://www.stourbridgenews.co.uk/news/19989757.tragedy-biker-dies-crash-bmw-near-bobbington/

Here's the link I omitted to add re this tragic collision

• Sad 1

The one I always struggle with is loss of control of vehicle….  I have one off attended by police, car went to pull out into my path stopped, on the sound of me and bike sliding down road…

I locked front wheel went down the road, it was my fault as I lost control of vehicle.  Was conclusion of police who arrived on  scene, however had I of hit him I would not be to blame.  

Also ridden on to many grass verges or in gutters due to cars coming the other way wide to fast passing cyclists or parked cars etc etc. Hit them they are to blame I am in allot of pain, loose control I am probably in less pain but at fault for loosing control of vehicle.

Clip a wing mirror with an elbow damaging it you end up in abusive conversation of how you where in the wrong and should of given them more space on your side of the road!
None have accepted my offer to get the police on scene to discuss, or wanted my detail. Strange hey…

Although driving at work today there was some poor riding from bikers heading to the local meet….

16 hours ago, onesea said:

I locked front wheel went down the road, it was my fault as I lost control of vehicle.  Was conclusion of police who arrived on  scene, however had I of hit him I would not be to blame.  

I think it is wrong that you take the blame that you go down when having to brake hard, when the cause of the braking was another motorists actions. You would fail your driving test instantly if you caused another motorist to have to brake or alter direction.

Edited by Throttled
  • Like 1

"90% of motorcyclist casualties are male."

Why is the most useless statistic in the opening sentence of this article? 

Tell people that entering a bend too fast and crashing is one of the most popular ways to kill yourself on a motorcycle. Test your cornering ability on the track, where you won't have to fight gravel, oil, oncoming traffic and an unmovable metal object that will cut you in half when you go flying into it at 80mph. 

Tell people to slow down at junctions and expect people to pull out. Too many riders flying through junctions expecting people NOT to pull out. Not defensive riding at all, considering this is THE most popular way to kill yourself on a motorcycle. 

90% of motorcyclist casualties are male. What next on the most obvious motorcycling facts? "GSXR riders don't wear gear." "Harley riders think they're too cool to nod back."

Yeah... we know. 

Lots of bell ends out today on 2 wheels, speeding through the 30 limits, overtaking on junctions a lot with not the right gear on. I don't normally venture out on 2 wheels on a Sunday for this very reason. I can see why locals in areas that attract us bikers get a bit fed up. Just nice to show a bit of respect for others on the roads and local communities. 

Off to Wales tomorrow should be a lot quieter 

• Like 2

I always expect the car waiting at the junction to pull out in front of me.....slowing down is ness.....hand always on the brake ready.

Anybody around me is going to try and kill me at any time.

Ride defectively at all times....boring yes I know.....so is being dead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nickjaxe said:

Ride defectively at all times....boring yes I know.....so is being dead.

My riding is always defective. 🤔😉😂

Incidentally, in the junction situation, I always try to ride across their line of sight by moving across my lane. Traffic etc. Permitting

Edited by Steve_M
  • Like 1

There is a junction near us where traffic often pulls out after a quick glance. As I approach it I am always cautious and weave about to get drivers' attention.

The Bobber is quite handy as the headlight wobbles due to the hardness of the suspension. Very few drivers pull out when I'm riding that, whereas it happens a lot more on the Honda.

Surprised how often folks pull out on the Multistrada as it's not exactly a small bike. I tend to weave a bit if conditions permit in an effort to make myself more obvious. As others have said - expect the worst then you'll only be pleasantly surprised.