Thinking it's time to quit :-(

bonio

2 hours ago, keith1200rs said:

Some hearing aids can be programmed to help mask tinnitus. Go see an audiologist.

That's good advice. The only problem is that to get to see an audiologist I have to first get an appointment with my doctor. The only way to do that is to ring at 8.30am every morning. Which of course everyone is doing so by the time you get through all the appointments have gone and you are told to bring back tomorrow. 

This can go on for many many days. 

51 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

That's good advice. The only problem is that to get to see an audiologist I have to first get an appointment with my doctor. The only way to do that is to ring at 8.30am every morning. Which of course everyone is doing so by the time you get through all the appointments have gone and you are told to bring back tomorrow. 

This can go on for many many days. 

Try calling 111 if you can't get a GP appointment they can sometimes get the GPs to see you by reminding them of their responsibilities. Wife works for 111 and its a big part of their job so worth a try 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

Try calling 111 if you can't get a GP appointment they can sometimes get the GPs to see you by reminding them of their responsibilities. Wife works for 111 and its a big part of their job so worth a try 

Amazingly I got through today, but there are no appointments this week or next week. So I was told to ring 111.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Amazingly I got through today, but there are no appointments this week or next week. So I was told to ring 111.

Some GPS are a nightmare. If 111 has to deal in surgery hours they can charge the GP practices for their time. Hopefully 111 can put a referral in for you 👍

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I didn't know 111 could do that. I'll have to give it a go. I thought they'd think I was wasting their time ringing about a none urgent issue like tinnitus. 

I had to go to a walk in center last week, your tinnitus would have been a high priority compared to most that were in attendance. 

One guy who I diagnosed with a cold who was so poorly he was having to stay in bed for days, until a woman he knew turned up and asked how his trip to Brum had been and did he get back late 😂 

She then told him she had been on holiday 3weeks ago and had a poorly tummy, it had been alright for the last week though but she thought she would get checked over anyway Wtf is wrong with folk ffs

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I didn't know 111 could do that. I'll have to give it a go. I thought they'd think I was wasting their time ringing about a none urgent issue like tinnitus. 

No wife is working today she's one of the advanced nurses who picks up the logs. If you were in the Midlands she would keep a look out for the call. Until she started working for them I didn't realise how much they can do they can sort out of hours Dr's, referrals they can prescribe sometimes and book appts for you at walk in centres. They basically try and reduce demand on paramedics and A&E. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bender said:

I had to go to a walk in center last week, your tinnitus would have been a high priority compared to most that were in attendance. 

One guy who I diagnosed with a cold who was so poorly he was having to stay in bed for days, until a woman he knew turned up and asked how his trip to Brum had been and did he get back late 😂 

She then told him she had been on holiday 3weeks ago and had a poorly tummy, it had been alright for the last week though but she thought she would get checked over anyway Wtf is wrong with folk ffs

A while back I was in our local doctors where I used to live. Sat there in the waiting room which was full of people. It was small town where everyone knew each other.

All you heard was - "Hey up Bill, nice to see you. How are ?"

"I'm very well thank you. How are you?"  

"I'm great. Never better. There's Mary, how you doing Mary?"

"Eeeh I'm grand. Top of the world."

"Hi Fred, how are you?"

"Fine I am. You're looking well."

And so on.......and so on.......and so on. Everyone was great, fine, very well, never better.......

Which made me think, what the hell are you all doing in the doctors?

• Haha 3

On 09/05/2022 at 09:02, fullscreenaging said:

I have found that 

15,895 Hz on a SINE wavelength matches, and completely negates my tinnitus. 
Cheers for that @Mississippi Bullfrog

Brilliant.  I haven't ir a little...  not really an issue but great to hear there's a  solution!

So, since my other suggestions have been so good here's another. Bit left of field but before giving up how about switching to something like this

image.thumb.png.d679c7768f1d2db35fe94b50186e0441.pngor any other classic or maybe modern retro. You'll not get over 50mph, and will be sat in a lay-by 'tinkering' to get it running again 90% of the time so no hearing issues. 

May sound strange but try listening to music with some decent earphones, if your brain is focusing on the music it will blur out other inputs and it can actually help you with tintus. I hope this helps.

Edited by newbiker90

On 10/05/2022 at 12:49, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

A while back I was in our local doctors where I used to live. Sat there in the waiting room which was full of people. It was small town where everyone knew each other.

All you heard was - "Hey up Bill, nice to see you. How are ?"

"I'm very well thank you. How are you?"  

"I'm great. Never better. There's Mary, how you doing Mary?"

"Eeeh I'm grand. Top of the world."

"Hi Fred, how are you?"

"Fine I am. You're looking well."

And so on.......and so on.......and so on. Everyone was great, fine, very well, never better.......

Which made me think, what the hell are you all doing in the doctors?

They are there to visit the dashing doctors and beautiful nurses 😅

Edited by newbiker90

An update.

The keffiyeh has come. And some Mack's Blackout soft foam earplugs.

The earplugs are a lot more narrow than the ones I was using, and it turns they fit down into the ear canal really easily, and make a good seal.

The keffiyeh is even better. I'm using it to plug the gap between neck and lid. The result is a calm, soft whistling sound, even at higher speeds. 

Hoping this is going to be enough to keep me on the road for a bit longer :classic_biggrin:

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, bonio said:

An update.

The earplugs are a lot more narrow than the ones I was using, and it turns they fit down into the ear canal really easily, and make a good seal.

The keffiyeh is even better. I'm using it to plug the gap between neck and lid. The result is a calm, soft whistling sound, even at higher speeds. 

Hoping this is going to be enough to keep me on the road for a bit longer :classic_biggrin:

The whistling sound is a 1950s bmw calling you with its siren song. 

57 minutes ago, bonio said:

An update.

The whistling sound is a 1950s bmw calling you with its siren song. 

2 hours ago, bonio said:

An update.

Interesting. I've always worn a buff for the same reason. How does a keffiyeh differ? I might try one. Where did you buy yours from?

43 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Interesting. I've always worn a buff for the same reason. How does a keffiyeh differ? I might try one. Where did you buy yours from?

Ebay. Apparently we already had one in the dressing up box. Wasn't even completely aware that we actually had a dressing up box.

It's long and it's soft, so there's plenty of scope for winding it round and round and tucking the material into the gap. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bonio said:

Ebay. Apparently we already had one in the dressing up box. Wasn't even completely aware that we actually had a dressing up box.

It's long and it's soft, so there's plenty of scope for winding it round and round and tucking the material into the gap. 

Soooo what other costumes have you got? 🤔

My pal fitted a screen to his bike.....makes the nowise wayyyyyy worse.....for some reason....maybe turbulent air....

I sewed neoprene pads into may helmet in the part covering my ears cut from an old wet suit.....very happy with the results.

• Like 2

I've suffered with wind noise etc on numerous bikes and wearing different types of helmets. Currently me and the wife are wearing GMac Glide Evo's. With her been pillion she doesn't suffer too much wind noise but I get a small amount even with the screen and barn door fairing on the K1100. I've tried different ear plugs including a set I had issued during my time in the RAF all of which worked to differing levels, however I now use the silicone type ones which I bought on the off chance from our local Home Bargains before we set of on the trip over here to Tunisia. During this 1200 mile trip I wore the Home Bargains ear plugs and suffered almost no wind noise and could still hear the missus through the headset even at motorway speeds (130Kmh).

The plugs cost £1.99 for a pack of 14 and you mould them between your finger and thumb before fitting them into your ear and holding in place with your thumb for a few seconds until they form the "seal" in your ear. They are comfortable also even with headset earpieces in close proximity. For £1.99 they work out pretty good value especially compared to the custom made ones which can be uncomfortable.

• Like 1