How long is a DAS course?

Hi people,

I am n my early 30s and I have been meaning to get my full bike license for a few years now, but I was working away and I got married and had two children. The time has come for me to now get my bike license once and for all. 

I rode an Aprilia RS125 for a few years in my late teens so I know how to use a geared bike. I also have ridden a racer bike since I was a kid so I have got plenty of years of experience riding on roads, how to maintain stability at low speeds, etc.

I have my theory test booked for tomorrow and I’m fairly confident that I’ll pass it. I have been doing mock tests online and I have passed every single time. I have also revised the Highway Code and to be honest I think most of the answers are fairly obvious and you can quite easily eliminate two of the possible answers straightaway. 

So, after I have completed and passed my theory test I shall want to get in touch with a local motorbike training place. I have looked online and I have noticed DAS courses. How long do these last? Is it a week of intense training and the two tests? 

I am hoping to get a full bike license in the next two months at the most. Is this going to be possible since the backlog from Covid-19, etc? Do most places have room for people or am I going to have to wait months and months these days? 

I know that the CBT only takes one day. I want to pay for a course so I can get my license ASAP like we all do, right? 

Can anyone give me any advice with regard to what things are like at the moment? 

Thanks,

Poodles

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Bout a week if you pass everything, where you looking at 

A1  training? 

What made you think A1 training? What is that?

I don’t know any local training places. I haven’t looked yet. 

Ahh thought you might have looked into it. 

A1 are based in team Valley, cracking owner, Newcastle rider training are in Lemington, good bloke but very dry sense of humor, don't know if they any good for you. 

Dad can take from 2 to 5 days. I did a split course over 4 days. 

I did a day training then on day two I did the first test where I did my slalom, figure of 8 etc. 

Then I had a week break as if you fail the first test you can't rebook if you have test 2 the next day. So they advised leave about a week break then do the on the road test. 

Same as before, did one day training and then the test the next day. 

This was the best setup for me. But you could do more or less days depending on what you need. 

15 hours ago, Bender said:

Ahh thought you might have looked into it. 

A1 are based in team Valley, cracking owner, Newcastle rider training are in Lemington, good bloke but very dry sense of humor, don't know if they any good for you. 

What made you assume I was from the North East?

Which one is better? I can see how a DAS course is planned out on the Newcastle Rider Training website,  but on the A1 Motorcycle Training School LTD I can only see how many hours. 

I am from Darlington. The A1 training has a lot more reviews online and a good rating. 

Which training did you go to exactly?

Also, are things back to normal or is there a long waiting time to get your training and test these days?

Edited by JohnPoodles

@JohnPoodles

Your location on your profile said Darlington, just took a stab at it being the one oop North as I don't know of another 😁

I used newcastle rider training just because of proximity. 

A1 I've borrowed a bike 😁 and met them a few times wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. 

Darlington should be schools closer to you I would have thought. 

50 minutes ago, Bender said:

@JohnPoodles

Your location on your profile said Darlington, just took a stab at it being the one oop North as I don't know of another 😁

A1 I've borrowed a bike 😁 and met them a few times wouldn't hesitate to recommend either. 

My wife’s family are from Newcastle and I sometimes have to go there because of work. 

A1 seems to have the best reviews. 

How long is the DAS course with A1?

I want to get my test done and dusted ASAP, but I’m concerned that there’s going to be big backlogs because of the pandemic. Does anyone know if I’ll have to wait months and months these days?

• Like 1

Theory passed ?

Mod 1 was a days training then test next day after a practice in the AM 

Mod 2 was a days riding and same thing next morning 

My school was £300 a day but I live in the south east 

OP, I tried to book a CBT with A1 and they are fully booked until 8 June.

Does anyone know if the training schools 2 Wheels Motorcycle Training in Sunderland and D & J Motorcycle Training in Hebburn are any good?

http://www.2wheelstraining.co.uk

http://dnjmotorcycletraining.co.uk

2 Wheels has some excellent reviews. 

On 11/05/2022 at 13:56, Bender said:

@JohnPoodles

Newcastle Rider Training has a few reviews of the instructors slagging people off when they thought that their microphones were off. The trainers have even responded to the reviews and tried to justify their inappropriate behaviour. 

10 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Newcastle Rider Training has a few reviews of the instructors slagging people off when they thought that their microphones were off. The trainers have even responded to the reviews and tried to justify their inappropriate behaviour. 

People are people, we would all be pissed off if we could hear what people  really think 🤔 

I've been and had a look at the reviews, more out of intrigue 😁 

There is  a distinct possibility that the 2 reviews are relating to the same, cbt, one is by the rider the other by the mother, can only assume that any over heard mic conversations  were at the return to base, the units don't transmit very far and they don't do large groups with joint instructions. 

Neal did apologise and give a full refund, it was not the trainers it was the owner, he also said there was no laughing, that I believe, I never ever got him to laugh at anything ever and I tried, he is very direct and I have no doubt if riding was bad he would say it as it was, slagging off does not sound like Neal either, he would just tell you. 

As for complaining of unfamiliar roundabouts and confusing white lines the woman on the cbt claimed to have 5 yrs driving experience, nothing should be that confusing. 

A young lady went off in tears half way through her cbt when I did mine, she just couldn't take it got upset and binned it, no fault of any instructions. 

Not everyone gets on with Neal I get that, and I can see why, but they won't just ride you round the corner and give you a cbt. 

Mine was in the rain, a1 through, shopping center car parks, dual carriage way, flat out, country roads and industrial estate. 

Previous to those reviews they are pretty much all 5*.

No I'm not on commission 😁 

• Like 3