I'm one of these awkward characters who just can't get comfortable in a full face helmet.  It's not for the want of trying. Over the years I've tried helmets from the cheap and cheerful to the ridiculously expensive. But I've always felt much more comfortable in an open face helmet especially with a short peak to cut out the sun shining in my eyes.  Of course, in those days I wore a variety of goggles which were pretty effective.  However as I got older my eyesight deteriorated enough to make spec wearing advisable.  Now I never got into prescription lensed goggles....I wasn't that rich ! So I got my first full face helmet and it was a revelation being able to wear specs and even hook up speakers to listen to music. But eventually the limited side vision and in those days the crap quality visors put me off. I eventually got a Cromwell Jet open face helmet with five studs which allowed me to fit a single curvature face screen with a short peak sun visor above.  This was almost perfect, I could wear my specs and because it was so open there was little problems with misting.  I was using a BMW R100 RT at the time with a very effective windshield but on any other bikes the wind noise around the Cromwell was pretty awful.  

After a gap in my motorcycling for over fifteen years I got back into it and this time I bought an open face helmet with a flip up face shield.  These were just coming onto the market in the late Eighties and modular helmets weren't even legal in the UK at that time.  

But I can't find any way to attach a peak to it !   Sure it's got a flip down darkened screen but that doesn't really do what I want.

Try this...... put your helmet on and look down the road in strong sunlight and note what you're seeing.  Now just shade your eyes with your hand to simulate a visor and notice just how much better your vision is.

With a darkened screen all your doing is reducing ALL light reaching your eyes and you loose a lot of contrast.

So what this long ramble is leading up to is, does anyone out there know of a solution to my problem ?

Funny answers are acceptable, I do have a sense of humour...

P.S.  I now live in France, not wet and gloomy Scotland and sunshine is a force to be reckoned with here.

• Haha 2

The only "road legal' helmets that have peaks are manufactured for the popular Adventure segment.. and are more road (and off road) oriented than the motocross helmets they evolved from. with the safety features necessary to be road legal. As well as the ergonomic feature riders expect.

Flip (modular) and peaked helmets are available as the demand exists..  here is one example from HJC

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 04.34.44.png

And another, A Caberg Tourmax

Caberg-Tourmax-in-white-300x300.jpg.1beb86d79b8579bd5b68d62e644eb235.jpg

Its just a matter of a bit of google searching and tracking down helmets that you like, or can adjust your tastes to. There is very likely to be some on sale where the chin piece can be fully removed, so you have an open face, with a full width visor, drop down sun visor and a peak. just a matter of searching and reading descriptions. Then hopefully find one that suits your head shape.

Edited by Gerontious

I’m sure there are many modular helmets with secondary flip down dark visors -as a wearer of glasses I find my Nolan to be very good in this respect.

In the earlies Eighties a chap called Peter Sellars  (no kidding !) was a customer of ours.   He had previously been a designer for BMW in Munich and had worked on the design of the E30 3-Series. He had also designed a Modular Motor Cycle Helmet that was just about to go into production in Italy I believe. He was living in the South of Scotland at the time and was riding in to our workshop when he was stopped by a couple of Strathclyde's Finest.  A particularly anal one was admiring the helmet he was wearing which was actually the prototype of the one going into production but which hadn't been subjected to UK testing.  Hence no BSI kite mark !  He was fined £50.00 at Ayr Sheriff Court.

Less than two years later all Strathclyde motorcycle cops were wearing the identical helmet !

• Like 3
  • Haha 2