How different are the theory test mocks online from the theory test?

Hi people,

I have been studying the Highway Code and doing plenty of mock questions and hazard perceptions and I have passed every single time. I score 48+ on the questions and I get between 55-65 on the hazard perceptions. 

However, I stumbled across the following:

https://www.driving-school-beckenham.co.uk/mocktrickymobi.html

The website says it’s the, “Trickiest, hardest car mock theory” and so I gave it a go and I only got 74% so that would have been a fail. So many of the questions are about things like how far a vehicle at 70mph travels per second, etc, and those things aren’t included in the Highway Code (I know all about stopping distances, braking distances, etc).

I’m now getting myself worked up thinking that if I book a theory test then I’m going to get 50 questions like above and fail. I asked my sister and she told me to stop being so silly and that most of the questions are very, very similar to the mock tests and that I shouldn’t have any problems.

If anyone would kindly do the test I linked above and tell me if you remember such difficult questions being included in your real theory test then it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. 

I did the theory earlier this year. 

I got several questions that are very straight forward such as asking what to do at a stop sign. 

The test has to take questions from lots of different parts of the code so won't all be hard questions. 

A bit of common sense, read the question right and you'll be fine. 

I had some apps on my phone that had practice questions and practice videos. They are very close if not the exact same to the test. 

One tip on the hazzards. Click a couple of time, like 2 or 3 clicks to ensure the click is registered. One thing that happens is people that are experienced drivers end up clicking too early. 

• Thanks 1

I used the Theory 4  in 1 app and the questions are pretty close, also the hazard perception again was pretty close and only costs a couple of quid. I know many people who have used it and said it helped.

3 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Hi people,

I have been studying the Highway Code and doing plenty of mock questions and hazard perceptions and I have passed every single time. I score 48+ on the questions and I get between 55-65 on the hazard perceptions. 

However, I stumbled across the following:

https://www.driving-school-beckenham.co.uk/mocktrickymobi.html

The website says it’s the, “Trickiest, hardest car mock theory” and so I gave it a go and I only got 74% so that would have been a fail. So many of the questions are about things like how far a vehicle at 70mph travels per second, etc, and those things aren’t included in the Highway Code (I know all about stopping distances, braking distances, etc).

I’m now getting myself worked up thinking that if I book a theory test then I’m going to get 50 questions like above and fail. I asked my sister and she told me to stop being so silly and that most of the questions are very, very similar to the mock tests and that I shouldn’t have any problems.

If anyone would kindly do the test I linked above and tell me if you remember such difficult questions being included in your real theory test then it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. 

A quick Google found these results. 
You just have to commit them to memory. The internet is your friend. 

D5759282-894D-460E-A27C-A6AC77D5539E.thumb.png.5d8dfbb751565721842175e88ac0f671.png

On 17/05/2022 at 19:09, Fish said:

I used the Theory 4  in 1 app and the questions are pretty close, also the hazard perception again was pretty close and only costs a couple of quid. I know many people who have used it and said it helped.

I’ve been using the government’s official website, mocktheorytest.com, theorytest.org.uk, toptests.co.uk and motorcycletheorytest.com and I have been getting only none, one or two wrong. 

I have been reading the Highway Code from front to back every day.

I think you'll be fine. When I did it, there were very few questions where you needed to know actual data. Most of the questions were either simple (e.g. what can of road users can cross at a toucan crossing?) or obvious (e.g. when you're waiting at a pelican crossing, should you beep your horn to encourage the pedestrians to get a move on?).  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bonio said:

when you're waiting at a pelican crossing, should you beep your horn to encourage the pedestrians to get a move on?).  

I remember one that read something like: 

What should you do if another driver cuts you off?

A: ignore them and proceed carefully

B: flash your lights at them

C :  beep your horn and shout at them to show your annoyance

I remember thinking I know what I should choose but I also know which I would actually do :mrgreen: 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bonio said:

I think you'll be fine. When I did it, there were very few questions where you needed to know actual data. Most of the questions were either simple (e.g. what can of road users can cross at a toucan crossing?) or obvious (e.g. when you're waiting at a pelican crossing, should you beep your horn to encourage the pedestrians to get a move on?).  

Did you find the hazard perception clips to be really any different from the mock hazard perception clips available online?

I did a mock earlier and I got 66 out of 75.

18 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Did you find the hazard perception clips to be really any different from the mock hazard perception clips available online?

I did a mock earlier and I got 66 out of 75.

A bit easier. I got a few wrong, mainly because of anticipating the hazard too soon. The press, wait a second, press again rule is a good one to follow if you're falling into the same trap.

I pressed too early on bits as well. As I recall they want you to click when that hazard develops, not just when uou identify a hazard.