How many hours training for Module 1? How many hours training for Module 2?

Hey people,

How many hours training did you do prior to Module 1?

And, what about for Module 2?

Module 1 doesn’t seem to be anymore than a repetitive drill so I’m thinking one or two hours at the most and that it’s Module 2 that will require a few more hours training so you know the roads where you will be tested on, etc, right?

You're overthinking it. Depends on the individual. My training was a half morning doing mod 1 then the afternoon mod 2. An hour recap the next day mod 1 then the test then mod 2 training. Some people find the manoeuvres in mod 1 fairly straightforward but others will struggle.

Definitely overthinking it. 👆
How many hours will vary between people due to experience and confidence.
Lots say Mod 1 is harder, and Mod 2 is a walk in the park.
I found Mod 1 easier, as it has more of a 'structure' that I could align myself with if you like.
I was bricking it on Mod 2 because that is essentially all down to me. In the end I did fine.
I had about three 1 hour sessions for Mod 1, spread over three weeks, and then the test.
With two 2 hour Mod 2 sessions, over two weeks, then the Mod 2 test.

53 minutes ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Can you put both feet on the ground after you have finished an exercise? Or, do you have to have your left foot on the ground and your right foot on the back brake?

Not surei remember specifically. Your instructor will give you all that info.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my CBT booked on 15 June and my theory test on 17 June. 

Providing that I pass my theory test (fingers crossed), for my first training session for Module 1 how many hours should I book it for precisely? I know that Module 2 requires more training because it’s a different type of test. 

For a rider who knows how to operate a bike, what is the average amount of hours needed to pass Module 1? 

Given my timeline of getting the CBT and theory test out of the way by mid-June, is it plausible to think with training as well that I could have my full license by September or at the latest October time?

None of us can answer that question for you. You need to get to your training centre and see how you cope on the bikes first, then the instructor/s will talk to you and give you answers you need. I booked 8 weeks of instruction with a driving instructor when my 2 boys were little as ex wanted us to all go out together, only to be told after the first lesson that I might as well book the test now as I didn't need any more lessons, yet I had never driven a car before that day

1 hour ago, billy sugger said:

None of us can answer that question for you. You need to get to your training centre and see how you cope on the bikes first, then the instructor/s will talk to you and give you answers you need. I booked 8 weeks of instruction with a driving instructor when my 2 boys were little as ex wanted us to all go out together, only to be told after the first lesson that I might as well book the test now as I didn't need any more lessons, yet I had never driven a car before that day

Did you pass Module 1 first time?

How many lessons did you have for Module 2?

As others have said .. its different for everybody , have a chat with your cbt instructor on the day of your cbt and see what he would recommend for you (he would of been watching you on the bike all day ) . I did this and went with what the cbt instructor advised , I had a days training for mod 1 with the test the next day in the morning , the rest of that day was mod 2 training , mod 2 test was booked for the following week , had another full days training with the test the morning after and passed ! Best of luck with it all .. its one of the best things I've ever done and well worth all the nerves and worrying beforehand!

1 hour ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Did you pass Module 1 first time?

How many lessons did you have for Module 2?

Mod 1 on second attempt, hire bike wasn't taxed on first one due to balls up by the CBT boys, mod 2 first time, on my own 125. Mod 1 was literally what I had done on CBT, which was just one day, and Mod 2 just the test, no practice lessons. 

Your best bet is just go to take the CBT without any preconceptions. After the classroom stuff get on the bike, listen to the instructor, AND RELAX! he worst thing to do is try to ride whilst tensed up

These questions cannot be answered as it all depends on you! 

You might be a natural and pass both with just an hours training or you might need weeks of training 

You wont know until you start 

I would speak to the instructors on the day of your CBT and let them know of your intentions and ask what they recommend 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/05/2022 at 22:44, Stu said:

These questions cannot be answered as it all depends on you! 

You might be a natural and pass both with just an hours training or you might need weeks of training 

You wont know until you start 

I would speak to the instructors on the day of your CBT and let them know of your intentions and ask what they recommend 

Yes, I understand that everyone is different. But, what do training schools normally recommend?

From what I have seen on YouTube the Module 1 doesn’t really look that difficult, but rather a kind of drilling session in the training sessions and then the test. 

The MOD2 routes aren't published, so it's a bit of a moot point.

It doesn't hurt to be familiar with the local area, but not required. Likely your instructor will take you down some of the roads on your ride down there.

16 minutes ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Does it really make much of a difference to know the routes that are local to a test centre for Module 2? 

Surely the examiners don’t take people on the same routes so is there any actual point? 

What are the advantages?

Knowing the routes definitely makes a difference. The routes when I did mine including some odd one ways and changes in speed limits that weren't very obvious (signs partially hidden etc.) Easy things to miss if you are unfamiliar. As for mod 1 it's deceptive. There will be bits you find easy and other bits you may not, you only know when you try. Have you done a cbt as that might give you am indication how easy you find manoeuvres 

1 hour ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Yes, I understand that everyone is different. But, what do training schools normally recommend?

From what I have seen on YouTube the Module 1 doesn’t really look that difficult, but rather a kind of drilling session in the training sessions and then the test. 

Mod 1 isn't difficult .. The problem people have is controlling their nerves knowing that one little mistake of putting a foot down and you fail. 

2 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

It all depends on the person

Normally they can tell by how you take instruction and how quickly or slowly you learn on your CBT will determine how much training you need 

2 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Surely the examiners don’t take people on the same routes so is there any actual point? 

You will probably find that all the routes they take you on are set routes and are also route risk assessed by H&S and they won't be allowed to deviate off these without a good explanation 

5 hours ago, goat said:

Knowing the routes definitely makes a difference. The routes when I did mine including some odd one ways and changes in speed limits that weren't very obvious (signs partially hidden etc.) Easy things to miss if you are unfamiliar. As for mod 1 it's deceptive. There will be bits you find easy and other bits you may not, you only know when you try. Have you done a cbt as that might give you am indication how easy you find manoeuvres 

Why is it deceptive? Apart from the speed bit, some of the things  you do on a 125cc bike during your CBT and it’s easier to do the things on a bigger bike because you are more stable. For the slalom the cones are more than enough apart from each other, it is not difficult to do figures of 8 and again the space for the u-turn is more than enough. What’s the problem?

2 hours ago, Stu said:

It all depends on the person

Normally they can tell by how you take instruction and how quickly or slowly you learn on your CBT will determine how much training you need 

You will probably find that all the routes they take you on are set routes and are also route risk assessed by H&S and they won't be allowed to deviate off these without a good explanation 

Well yeah because it’s like a car driving test it is different for everyone, but there must be an average amount of hours for the average rider. Module 1 doesn’t seem too different from what is covered during a CBT. I have read that the easiest way to pass Module 2 is to treat the examiner as a sat nav. 

What about the independent riding section? Doesn’t that slightly differ from the so-called routes?

14 minutes ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Well yeah because it’s like a car driving test it is different for everyone, but there must be an average amount of hours for the average rider. Module 1 doesn’t seem too different from what is covered during a CBT. I have read that the easiest way to pass Module 2 is to treat the examiner as a sat nav. 

What about the independent riding section? Doesn’t that slightly differ from the so-called routes?

You're asking the wrong person about mod 1 and 2 as these wasn't even thought of when I did my test 20 years ago 

26 minutes ago, Geoff Wilson said:

I fear this going down a similar route to the other thread. Who cares what's an average amount of time. You might take half as much or ten times as long. Yes you've read things but that has no relevance, nor does anyone's opinion on the tests, only the actual experience will matter.  Stop talking about it and get on and do it. Book your cbt, complete it and speak to the instructor, he'll advise you based on your ability to learn.

34 minutes ago, goat said:

.  Stop talking about it and get on and do it. Book your cbt, complete it and speak to the instructor, he'll advise you based on your ability to learn.the 

Then buy yourself that gixxer 1000 😉

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

Why is it deceptive? Apart from the speed bit, some of the things  you do on a 125cc bike during your CBT and it’s easier to do the things on a bigger bike because you are more stable. For the slalom the cones are more than enough apart from each other, it is not difficult to do figures of 8 and again the space for the u-turn is more than enough. What’s the problem?

Slightly bored of this obvious trolling. And this just proves you're doing it. Not difficult to do figures of 8, u turn has enough space, slalom cones far enough apart and its all ezpz no problem.
But you've never ridden.
I doubt i'm the only one to think that the u-turn space looks tiny when you're not used to doing u-turns and are new to riding. Hell, I touched the line on the test.

Please just take peoples advice and accept the ones that seem logical and make sense, and is how you want to ride. Once you actually start riding that is. You'll not know anything until you do.

• Like 4

Knowing the mod 2 route Def would have helped me although usually the instructors take you out there the day before and on the day 

I failed at mitcham as I didn't realise we'd turned into a 1 way street so when we turned right at the end of the road I wasn't positioned over to the right , had I known that road maybe I'd not have made that same error

One of the reasons the routes aren't shown/published is to check your observation skills. My driving examiner told me to take a left turn, which was right next to a "no entry" sign, so I very nearly turned into the wrong street. It wasn't a one way street as such, but you could only exit at one end, not turn into it, and it was right next to the street the examiner wanted me to take, and I only saw one of the signs so though I'd got the correct street when turning, but saw my mistake just in time to take corrective action. 

The mod2 part of you making it back to the test centre is not only to check you can follow directions, it's to check you are observant enough to spot the signs you need to navigate by

Edited by billy sugger
Added text
  • Like 1