People who only wear a hoodie, jeans and trainers, why?

Hi,

One thing that has always struck me as quite bizarre are people who only wear a hoodie, jeans and trainers. I went out for a walk yesterday and two men who were on superbikes wearing exactly what I have just mentioned. They came across as edgy and cocky.

I’ve even seen people wearing just a t-shirt! 

Why?

I think some people are absolutely crackers! 

• Like 1

Be mindful you can get protective jeans, hoodie and even trainers. Other than that some folks just wear whatever on a bike, no gloves, flip flops etc. It's not for me but to each their own. 

The only protective piece of kit you are required by law to wear is a helmet. 

I also think it’s daft not wearing much by way of PPE on a bike, but it’s their skin and if they want to risk it then it’s up to them.  

• Like 1

Many riders wear a fleece over the top of their race  leathers . Personally , I do tend to wear any old shit now that I've got a Harley . 

You can get protective clothes that look like normal jeans etc. But once you know this you can tell most of the time what's what. 

I'm in the camp of ATGATT. 

People will often wear just a helmet in the cities. Scooter drivers are the most guilty. often see Vespas with work suit and not even gloves. But if I said would you jump from a 30mph car in a tracksuit they would think you're crazy.

I'm tempted by the Alpinestars Bionic's for when it gets warmer this summer. Plenty of protection if not more than a normal jacket. I do have bike jeans and 'city' boots.

1 hour ago, daveinlim said:

You can get protective clothes that look like normal jeans etc. But once you know this you can tell most of the time what's what. 

I'm in the camp of ATGATT. 

People will often wear just a helmet in the cities. Scooter drivers are the most guilty. often see Vespas with work suit and not even gloves. But if I said would you jump from a 30mph car in a tracksuit they would think you're crazy.

I thought jumping out of a moving car in a tracksuit was a popular sport , especially on council estates . I've seen it on the telly . 🏃‍♂️  🚓 

• Haha 4

I jumped out of a moving car when I was a kid, admittedly it was only doing about 10mph. I loved watching the fall guy and wanted to be a stuntman. 

Edited by goat

its never bothered me in the slightest what other people choose to wear on their bikes. And I tend to disregard people when they try to tell me what to wear.

Only one thing makes me shudder, and that's when I spot riders without gloves on. in summer. Its not like summer gloves are expensive.

And Im endlessly amused by some people who seem to have rather perverse priorities. Happy enough to buy an imported aftermarket part, that they don't really need. (at great expense)

For instance a £1000 end can. But will balk at the idea of buying a good quality waterproof jacket.. complaining about the premium that Goretex laminate adds to the price. (for example)

each to their own.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Gerontious said:

its never bothered me in the slightest what other people choose to wear on their bikes. And I tend to disregard people when they try to tell me what to wear.

Only one thing makes me shudder, and that's when I spot riders without gloves on. in summer. Its not like summer gloves are expensive.

And Im endlessly amused by some people who seem to have rather perverse priorities. Happy enough to buy an imported aftermarket part, that they don't really need. (at great expense)

For instance a £1000 end can. But will balk at the idea of buying a good quality waterproof jacket.. complaining about the premium that Goretex laminate adds to the price. (for example)

each to their own.

What's happens to them if they crash is their problem. I'd never say anything to someone on the road. You'll get great summer kit for cheap. Also it can keep you cooler than not kit as it keeps your skin out of the sun. 

However I'd imagine that riders with no ppe on increases insurance claim costs and therefore our premiums too.

2 hours ago, Geoff Wilson said:

I don’t intend to tell people what to wear, but to me it screams “irresponsible” when I see someone who is not wearing protective clothing.

Yeah, but I ride very very fast and take drugs and smoke which may literally kill me. 

To each their own I say, as long as it doesn't harm others. 

• Like 1

The one thing I always find strange. Is the kids and delivery drivers don't even wear gloves in the winter. It's freezing, why wouldn't you wear gloves?

On 24/05/2022 at 12:33, Geoff Wilson said:

Hi,

One thing that has always struck me as quite bizarre are people who only wear a hoodie, jeans and trainers. I went out for a walk yesterday and two men who were on superbikes wearing exactly what I have just mentioned. They came across as edgy and cocky.

I’ve even seen people wearing just a t-shirt! 

Why?

I think some people are absolutely crackers! 

Some people hey? What next?? Running with scissors 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

I've got 2 pairs of single layer jeans which look like ordinary jeans apart from the armour in hips and knees. Bought them with a bonus as they are insanely expensive but they have a slide time better than leather and I wear them in the summer or on dry winter days. My choice.

• Like 2

On 27/05/2022 at 12:02, Copycat73 said:

why do you care what others wear ?  their skin their problem .... and how you suppose someone "They came across as edgy and cocky."  in the most fleeting of sightings is beyond me.. 

I care about other people's safety.

First started on scooters in warm places...

Shorts and T shirt, like driving without a seatbelt, sailing without a life jacket, sex without a condom just so liberating.

I could go on...  If you haven't done it you would not understand. 

Life is full of risks given the risk factors, for me statistics say I am as likely to do something stupid at home and kill myself, than die on the road or drown...

By the way my jeans and top are made from Kevlar just most people don't notice...

I have to say I am now a firm believer in proper gear, however understand why people would choose not to...

Live and let live...

PS Given what I know of you can I ask you carry on solo or use prophylactics.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

No gloves !!! 🙄

Never ever, ever, ever.

I don't even get on my bicycle without a pair of track mitts ....

• Like 3

Came off a pedal bike going down a steep hill when I was 17. The palms of my hands were agony for about a week and bits of road were embedded for months. Never considered riding a motorbike without gloves ever.

• Like 1

My CBT instructor made all of us crouch down on the ground and run the back of our hands on the road.

She then said now imagine doing that in a crash at speed :shock:

• Like 2