Conwy & Llandudno

Taking full advantage of the good weather we decided to have a run out to Conwy via the Old Stores Motorbike Cafe in Pontblyddyn. Fantastic spot, as much a motorcycle museum as a cafe.

Down to Ruthin and then took the B5105 across to Cerrigydrudion - great road but the visor got pretty well bug splattered. Up the A5 to the A470 then Llanwrst up to Conwy. The last time I was up here it was in a Canadian canoe catching the tide up and back from Deganwy.

route.thumb.JPG.5a438bc6486e85a7da055ccbdb9bce51.JPG

After a walk and a drink in Conwy we rode up to Llandudno, parking on the front by a group of Parisian bikers on Harley's, Nortons and all sorts. Very kindly they shuffled up to make room in the parking area. Had a long walk around Llandudno before getting food at the Carlton pub. We had no complaints about the food,  but my good lady gets cranky if she doesn't get a decent cup of tea - and they weren't doing hot drinks. Oh well, another Jack Daniel's for her...

IMG_20220528_202807.thumb.jpg.bfcb4eaec5cead7e0def2bdfe659794d.jpg

We found the tea at the end of the Pier. Crisis averted. Back to the bike and took the decision to ride around the Great Orme.  It was getting late and the toll gate was open.

IMG_20220528_202143.thumb.jpg.035ab77a4445f1ea6a6df993cf8fca75.jpg

Some nice views, and challenging hairpins if you take the steep road up to the summit. I managed to go wide on one of the tighter left handers,  just as someone was coming down. Fortunately everyone was going slowly and it was all taken with good humour.

Quick photo op at the top before the ride back down and completing the circuit.

IMG-20220528-WA0005.thumb.jpg.a3cf169f919b66d7467b4c75b76dca1f.jpg

We thought to try a different route home and only got lost once.  The road got steeper and thinner and ended with an unwelcome combination of gravel and cattle grid. Found our way back through Colwyn Bay then onto the A55 for a steady ride back. (Them North Wales rozzers are dead keen, you know).

Got buzzed by a gang of sports bike riders on the Welsh road back up to the M53, but I'd seen them coming so just kept left and let them pass.  Too quick for my blood.

Back up to Birkenhead, where the reserve tank was just kicking in.  Filled up and then home. 

Next up, a run to Bentham later this week.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Taking full advantage of the good weather we decided to have a run out to Conwy via the Old Stores Motorbike Cafe in Pontblyddyn. Fantastic spot, as much a motorcycle museum as a cafe.

Down to Ruthin and then took the B5105 across to Cerrigydrudion - great road but the visor got pretty well bug splattered. Up the A5 to the A470 then Llanwrst up to Conwy. The last time I was up here it was in a Canadian canoe catching the tide up and back from Deganwy.

route.thumb.JPG.5a438bc6486e85a7da055ccbdb9bce51.JPG

After a walk and a drink in Conwy we rode up to Llandudno, parking on the front by a group of Parisian bikers on Harley's, Nortons and all sorts. Very kindly they shuffled up to make room in the parking area. Had a long walk around Llandudno before getting food at the Carlton pub. We had no complaints about the food,  but my good lady gets cranky if she doesn't get a decent cup of tea - and they weren't doing hot drinks. Oh well, another Jack Daniel's for her...

IMG_20220528_202807.thumb.jpg.bfcb4eaec5cead7e0def2bdfe659794d.jpg

We found the tea at the end of the Pier. Crisis averted. Back to the bike and took the decision to ride around the Great Orme.  It was getting late and the toll gate was open.

IMG_20220528_202143.thumb.jpg.035ab77a4445f1ea6a6df993cf8fca75.jpg

Some nice views, and challenging hairpins if you take the steep road up to the summit. I managed to go wide on one of the tighter left handers,  just as someone was coming down. Fortunately everyone was going slowly and it was all taken with good humour.

Quick photo op at the top before the ride back down and completing the circuit.

IMG-20220528-WA0005.thumb.jpg.a3cf169f919b66d7467b4c75b76dca1f.jpg

We thought to try a different route home and only got lost once.  The road got steeper and thinner and ended with an unwelcome combination of gravel and cattle grid. Found our way back through Colwyn Bay then onto the A55 for a steady ride back. (Them North Wales rozzers are dead keen, you know).

Got buzzed by a gang of sports bike riders on the Welsh road back up to the M53, but I'd seen them coming so just kept left and let them pass.  Too quick for my blood.

Back up to Birkenhead, where the reserve tank was just kicking in.  Filled up and then home. 

Next up, a run to Bentham later this week.

Looks a grrat route, wife and I are stopping at Ruthin Castle Hotel start of September, looking to go on the bike so may take in parts of your route 

• Like 1