Hi I have a Honda SH mode 125 automatic. I have failed 3 tests. I am fine on all except emergency stop and hazzard avoidance. I am filled with terror approaching it and fail due to sped. I am so embarrassed. Please can anyone help? Thank you so much

Due to the power output of today's 125s it is a struggle to hit the 50KPH on  a car park. Is there any way you can borrow an older 125,like a cg125? The output from an older one is more than enough to get you through the hazard trap and emergency stop without having to rev the c**P out of it

If you can find a quite industrial site or car park go and practice practice pracitice stopping from different speeds not nessersarily emergency stops but just getting used to how your bike handles and how the brakes feels. Dont rush into it everyone is different do it at your own pace. If you have an instructor have a word with them ask them to watch you and see if they have further advice for you. Dont give up you will get there you know you can do it. Good luck onwards and upwards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billy sugger said:

Due to the power output of today's 125s it is a struggle to hit the 50KPH on  a car park. Is there any way you can borrow an older 125,like a cg125? The output from an older one is more than enough to get you through the hazard trap and emergency stop without having to rev the c**P out of it

Really? I had no issue with speed in the mod 1 on a modern 125. 

The hazard avoidance is only a relatively small shuffle and the emergency stop should be progressive and smooth. 

@Dena 1961Are you taking lessons, a good instructor should be able to iron out those issues 

2 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Talking to the examiner I was told quite a few people fail to make the speed on a 125. .. Being a bit of a porker I had to rev the knackers off my old CG125 to make it!

The failure is in the rider not the bike 😁 

Just like my inability to do a u turn, it most definitely was not the bikes fault 😂 

The instructors told me I would need to, quote "rag the arse out of it" in second gear to make the speed up to 50kph out of the corner. In fact the suzuki they lent me was so slow I went and bought the cb twin just for the test

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bender said:

The failure is in the rider not the bike 😁 

Just like my inability to do a u turn, it most definitely was not the bikes fault 😂 

Not according to the examiner .. the bikes didn't have enough power to get up to speed in the short distance.

24 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

Not according to the examiner .. the bikes didn't have enough power to get up to speed in the short distance.

If that was the case no one would pass 😕 my instructors said the opposite the bikes are more than quick enough, you just have to start in the bend running up to the straight and be in the right gear, accelerate smoothly, the tarmac at test centers is the best your ever likely to ride on, not one person I came across had any issues with being to slow, I met a few of them having to do mod 1 three times 😂 

Maybe we're all skinny waifs up north and southerners are all fa..😂 .. 

• Like 1

When I did mine (big bike MOD1) I found that taking the bend a little faster gave me more speed on the approach. That forced me to build up the confidence to lean a little. Then don't let off the power until through the speed trap.

As for building up confidence:

1) Plenty of practice

and

2) Mindset - it's not the end of the world if you don't pass. You will get there, no point putting yourself under a ton of pressure. Treat it as another lesson.

Best of luck.

Edited by Fiddlesticks

The surface of test centre's is bloody expensive higher grip quicker draining tarmac. As said 125's have enough power to hit the 50kph, it's down to the rider confidence in feeding the power whilst coming round the bend. 

Remember if the examiner asks if you was happy with that,  request another attempt becuase that's exactly what they are offering as you didn't get the speed required.

• Like 2