Crash bung or slider advice Z1000SX

Hey all, been a while but got married and stuff lol

New bike comes tomorrow and I want to add crash protection as its cost more than the bandit ever did.

I see some say bungs are bad and sliders are better?

Any advice will be great.

hope your all ok

Crash bungs do a good job of protecting plastics, as it keeps them off the ground, but casings can still get damaged, I know this from an off on a mini roundabout, so some thing fitted to protect engine casings is also beneficial 

• Like 1

Congratulations on the wedding 👍 I've personally always used R&G Bungs / sliders.  Easy to fit, and although I've been fortunate enough to have never had to test out there efficacy, there is a good you tube video of some guy testing them in a controlled low side.  Some people will say bungs cause the bike to dig in and flip, basically wrecking the bike, however, whilst this may be the case I sort of think that R&G research would have identified and addressed this problem?  Good luck with the new bike 👍

• Like 1

I had bungs on a CBR 600F and when I had an off I left the road and the front wheel tucked underneath me and then the bung dig into the soft grass verge the bolt bent and ripped the fairing. 

I have sliders on my VERSYS 1K which essentially the same set up around the engine as the Z. 

I would say Kawasaki sliders for your bike. 

• Like 1

In my mind sliders and bungs do different things. Bungs are better if you drop it stationary or low speed - since I've dropped a bike three times, every time when stationary, I go for bungs. Sliders are better if you plan on lowsiding it.

Just decide which kind of incident you plan on having 🤣

• Haha 4

I would strongly recommend R&G Crash Bungs because they don't compromise . No matter how unsightly or how awkward they might be to fit , and that can involve cutting a large hole in the bodywork, R&G bungs will always be designed specifically for the bike they are to be fitted to with the express purpose of hitting the ground before anything else does . ( I used to sell them ) 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

R&G ripped my fairing. See earlier post of mine. 

That's unfortunate , but as you say , it dug into the earth with predictable consequences . The intended purpose of a crash bung is to erode away as it slides along the tarmack without creating too much friction . 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fastbob said:

That's unfortunate , but as you say , it dug into the earth with predictable consequences . The intended purpose of a crash bung is to erode away as it slides along the tarmack without creating too much friction . 

the test i saw was the one they slid a bike across car park, it just slid as expected. on this bike fairing off and it bolts on easy.

If money is not an issue I would go for kawasaki sliders as they look best in my opinion. 
Just get what will please your eyes. Protection wise don’t think it’s so effective, except if you set proper engine guards, bars

7 minutes ago, Marino said:

But it wouldn’t work on your new bike,

by the way congratulations on the bike, it was my wish bike before I got KTM

what wont work on my bike mate?

which KTM you got 1290?

10 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

what wont work on my bike mate?

which KTM you got 1290?

Sorry, want work was regarding engine bars, as ur Kwak coming with faring 

yes I have sdgt 1290

Just now, Marino said:

I would go for those , looking good, but costly 

27B2419F-96B4-48B5-BEC2-98E32AC1D976.png

they do look good, some seem to be tucked in a bit so not sure what help they are, then other end of scale is r&g pop out loads.

2 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

they do look good, some seem to be tucked in a bit so not sure what help they are, then other end of scale is r&g pop out loads.

Exactly, other pops out too much, while those elegant you newer knows if they will work, but original kawi are the same so probably somewhat studied for protection.

9 minutes ago, jedibiker said:

Actually bars exist but doesn’t look so nice, it’s not terrible but top parts are bit to wide

AE0785A8-80B1-4B01-9C6C-A6171EFAF9C5.jpeg

6D7F5150-F2A7-4775-BC01-98DB77AD1121.jpeg

5879E8A4-4F51-431D-BB56-9FBAEC3E5318.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Marino said:

Exactly, other pops out too much, while those elegant you newer knows if they will work, but original kawi are the same so probably somewhat studied for protection.

just seen a video on the original, looks ok.