Bike Friendly Hotels in Italy

John Metcalfe

Me and the missus have just returned from a 12 day trip to Italy so I thought I'd share the names of the hotels we used during our 12 days.

We used Booking.com to book all the hotels and found all the hotels used to be bike & biker friendly. Listed below are the hotels in the order we stayed there the location and parking facilities.

1. P&P Assisi Camere in Bastia Umbra. Free off road private parking.

2. Waldorf Palace Hotel in Cattolica. Private underground garage €6 per day. Free parking for motorbikes available to front of hotel in full view of reception and covered by CCTV.

3. The Grand Hotel Montesilvano. Free off road private parking.

4. My Angels B&B in Pompei. Free off road private parking within gated courtyard.

5.Villa Sethere Salerno. Free off road private parking within gated courtyard.

6. Hotel Posidonia Sapri. Free off road parking within gated yard. CCTV covered

7. La Casa di Caso Villa San Giovanni. Free off road parking within gated yard

8. ll Gelso Bianco Montebianco near Catania Sicily. Free off road private parking. CCTV protected.

9. 55 Aira Hotel Palermo Sicily. Free on street parking to front of hotel in clear view of hotel reception and covered by CCTV. Also opposite main railway station with Police station also opposite.

We would recommend and use all these hotels again without question but by far the best would be My Angels B&B i Pompei because the owner Melisa could'nt help enough and is very knowledgeable about the local area. Along with My Angels Hotel Posidonia in Sapri is superb when it comes to customer service and the food within the attached restaurant is amazing, especially the steak. They are very bike friendly also insisting that we parked within the locked yard area which is also covered by an enormous fixed gazebo.

The breakfast at the Waldorf Palace is a buffet type with a choice of cooked and cold/chilled food along with the standard continental type breakfast also. There is a well stocked bar here also.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Copycat73 said:

story i`m hearin is the further south you travel into Italy the scruffier it gets .. any thoughts / comments ?

The bits we were in were fairly clean, defo cleaner than some places in UK. We mainly stuck to the coastal roads keeping away from some of the major towns and cities. We also avoided the toll roads & motorways sticking mainly to the rural and urban roads which aloud us to keep the daily mileages down along with the availability of stopping as and when we wanted to.

If I'm fully truthful Palermo was probably the "dirtiest" place we visited/stayed in especially on the outskirts of the town down the side roads. We found out later that there was a strike by the bin men which was causing the rubbish to build up.

Other than that no we had no issues, with the exception of dropping the bike while trying to turn it round, no real damage though except bending the cage round one of the spot lights mounted on the crash bars, plus the embarrassment of doing it in front of 2 Carabinieri who were parked at the roadside. Unlike UK police, they helpful in helping pick the bike up and checking that we were both uninjured and checking the bike was ok. Yep thick end of 2000km with no issues and then drop it in front of 2 police at less than 2mph "red faced" or what lol.

We've got some decent photos of some of the places including along the Amalfi Coast road so once I've go them sorted I'll be uploading some of them along with the full route we took. We lost a day on Sicily due to the "Giro d Italia" bike race which was on Sicily the day we were due to arrive in Messina but the ferries were cancelled because of them being in Messina that afternoon. Cyclists strike again, never mind though we already planning next visit, but we'll just stay on Sicily for the week and see where we end up.

• Like 1

Basically hotels will be clean and more than ok anywhere in Italy, north or south. Obviously there is more possibility for scum south of linea  gotica, but probably everyone knows that already.

I have bad experience with booking com, so I preferring  direct booking with hotel.

however Italy is much better than Spain in regards to cleanliness.

• Like 1

We had no issues with any numpties or the like, but it don't matter where you go there will always be a couple of em' and they're the ones who get noticed and remembered.

We booked all with Booking.com but checked if the hotel had a website and checked the prices direct. We found that the prices were more or less the same but with a couple of alterations from the hotels website.

The added bonus now with Italy is they've binned all the chinese flu restriction shit, so you can enter and travel round the country now as if it never existed. Pity rest of europe still clinging on to the chinese flu fear control factor.

10 hours ago, John Metcalfe said:

We had no issues with any numpties or the like, but it don't matter where you go there will always be a couple of em' and they're the ones who get noticed and remembered.

We booked all with Booking.com but checked if the hotel had a website and checked the prices direct. We found that the prices were more or less the same but with a couple of alterations from the hotels website.

The added bonus now with Italy is they've binned all the chinese flu restriction shit, so you can enter and travel round the country now as if it never existed. Pity rest of europe still clinging on to the chinese flu fear control factor.

I was in Italy end of May and as you wrote all is as corona never happened. But as well Austria, Germany, Netherlands Belgium. I crossed by tunnel  and only what I had to submit was vaccination proof.

We came through the tunnel last November when we brought the bike over here to Tunisia where we live. We had to change from ferry at Dover to tunnel due to some little jumped up jobs worth French plod turning 75% of British plated vehicles round just for the sake of it. He told us that he didn't have to accept our vaccine paperwork because the UK was no longer part of the EU. I was not too polite with my response, lets just say I reminded him of 1914-18 & 1939-45 when they cried out for our help. Booked tunnel while having cuppa at nearest services. Arrived at check-in told what to do and where to go and bingo straight through on next train and no issues with french border control. Once in France we yet again had no issues with the local or national police. Due to issues back in UK we had to travel from Pontefract West Yorkshire through France and into Italy for the ferry crossing from Genoa to Tunis a trip close to 1200 miles. We left Pontefract on the  Wednesday morning and the ferry to Tunis was due to depart Saturday afternoon so it had to French & Italian motorways all the way down, "never again" was the wife's response.

At least now we can just jump on a ferry to either Sicily and then decide where to go next, either Sardinia, Corsica or Malta, or we can go direct to the Italian mainland. Already planning the next jolly.

11 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

You want to try and be in China mate. Full restrictions and a total pain in the arse.

No thanks mate.

It been bad enough here in Tunisia with the lockdowns at short notice, curfews, wearing a mask to go in shops etc and having to show covid pass. At least now we have got rid of that shit and almost back to normal. Tourists are starting to return because you now don't need to be jabbed to enter of do quarantine. If not had 2 jabs then all you need is a PCR test either 48hrs before departure or a rapid test 24hrs before.

It's great for bikes over here, loads of near empty roads if you travel out of the tourist areas and for the off road guys there's that large expanse of sand called the Sahara to go play in😀