New chain

Philbo

Hi,my son in law owns a 2012 triumph triple,chain come off recently.We called a local motorcycle repair shop.They recovered the bike,and fitted new sprockets plus chain.Son in law went for mot in London,and it failed on chain being too tight ?.He was told that they (mot station),could not understand how chain could have been fitted so tightly.Apparently it was 4 links too short?.He has been riding regularly on it recently,and had no problems.Any advice pls,thanks.

Get your son in law to measure the chain slack and check to see if it matches the manual I think mine is about 40mm of slack, its something as a rider he need to do regularly maybe once a month and oil every 400 miles or so.

4 links too short wouldn`t fit on my Triumph so my suspicion starts to lean toward the place in London trying to drum up business !

As suggested measure the slack as I believe 4 links too short will be more like a guitar string.

Cheers

Ian

• Haha 1

All seems a bit iffy to me why did the chain come off in the first place?

the other option is has someone played with the cog size set up?

your just demonstrating why many choose to do there own maintenance, finding good mechanics is a challenge.

I am also not certain how much chain set up is in the MOT wear and tare yes.  Cogs and chain and chain set up if in good condition and not dangerous should pass.

Although I am not a MOT tester.

Thanks guys,he's due up today,will see if I can get more info.The guys who fitted new chain/cogs up here seem pretty genuine people,so I suspect the mot station is the culprit.Many thanks.

Measure it up to see if it's correct and it's worth buying a chain alignment tool, you can get some perfectly good metal ones for abput a fiver or a gucci laser one for about £50. Your chain provides your drive so it's important to check it and know how to maintain it or buy a shaft drive 🤣

1 hour ago, MikeHorton said:

Measure it up to see if it's correct and it's worth buying a chain alignment tool, you can get some perfectly good metal ones for abput a fiver or a gucci laser one for about £50. Your chain provides your drive so it's important to check it and know how to maintain it or buy a shaft drive 🤣

Surely if you buy a bike with shaft drive it is also important to check it and know how to maintain it?

Edited by Mickly

I will only miss the shaft on my old BMW when it comes time to replace the chain and sprockets on the Africa Twin. I’m guessing it will cost a tad more than the £10 oil and crushwasher change on the Beemer.

• Like 1

Just now, Gerontious said:

I will only miss the shaft on my old BMW when it comes time to replace the chain and sprockets on the Africa Twin. I’m guessing it will cost a tad more than the £10 oil and crushwasher change on the Beemer.

How is the wear on yours I'm hardly having to adjust the chain on mine which is good news

33 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

No adjustment since the first running in service. Though I am careful with lubing. (Gear oil)

That's good to hear, I've used the profi drylube in the summer and revert to gear oil for winter one is expensive the other cheap but both work and the profi stuff is non sticky and doesn't fling