Dealing with Punctures

onesea

I have had 3 punctures in 6 years.

2 have resulted in recovery the other I managed to get home on.

I have thought about puncture repair kits.  The problem is inflating the tire after the repair.

Pumps are bulky, cylinders seem expensive.

I have even pondered a sign to flag down motorists with a pump many carry them these days.

Interestingly I have resolved the issue of having punctures for 3 years.  By avoiding the Bakehouse, the best and affordable bakery in the New Forest.

https://www.bakehousebrockenhurst.com/

interestingly every time I have had a puncture we have picked up inner of their lunches to eat on route.

Since we stopped eating there lunches, we haven't had a Puncture.

Tempting fate....I've had one puncture and that was about 20 years ago. 

I carry a kit in the CBF which has cylinders in it. The Bobber has tubes so if I get a puncture in that it's a case of calling the breakdown people.

You can get some pretty small compressors these days, some with their own battery. But with punctures generally being few and far between I'm not inclined to carry one. 

I have one of these 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Inflator-Compact-Lightweight-Travel/dp/B00HWMPK6S/ref=sr_1_6?crid=M8HLV0TFTWUQ&keywords=aa+inflator&qid=1656087214&sprefix=aa+inf%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-6 

It is the smallest inflator I have found! 

I also have a stop and go plug kit I carry with me 

Even though the inflator is small its not small enough for under the seat as there is too much under there already 

Was OK under the seat on the FJR though 

• Like 2

I have the Gear-Gremlin tyre repair kit.

The one thing I added was a small pair of pliers to remove what might be stuck in the tyre.

This kit was highly rated on sportsbike  shop so should be good. 

Edited by bud

Michelin micro inflator (not tiny, but fits easily in the tank bag) and some tyreweld did the job for me a few weeks back -- on a tubed tyre. Lucky or what? 🙂

Edited by Breezin
  • Like 1

I carry on the K11 one of those puncture kits with the "bacon strips" in ti along with the reamer and insertion tool. This coupled with the compressor I took from the wife's car when it was written of by scummy joy riders has so far on the 2 occasions when we've had a rear wheel puncture not needed recovery. The compressor isn't the smallest but this and the kit fit perfectly in a fishing reel case and then gets put in the top case, tank bag or one of the panniers depending on how much gear we have with us. Normally it's in the top case with the lock, tool kit and the 1st aid kit.

• Like 1