Unidentified bearing. Trike project.

MikeRider

Hello there.

I have got a trike project made of Yamaha XJ900 with a rear axle. It happened to me that it started to have a leak from one of the back wheel areas and after inspection the mechanic responded it's a leak from the bearing. 

Ok. Just replace the bearing. Sorted. He said he can't identify what kind of bearing it is and it has been a few months like this for some try and error attempts. Perhaps I could get some ideas for him here and I can move this issue forward?

I don't have any model maker papers of this trike to look into unfortunately.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

H’mm I thought it was seals that leaked, not bearings?

In order to identify the bearing you’ll have to either strip the trike down until you can see the side of the bearing or remove it ( might as well. As your going to replace it ) there’s usually some identification marks you can use to identify it, or use the measurements - type of bearing + inside diameter + external diameter + width.

I’m sure someone will be along soon to tell me I’m a Baffoon & will tell you exactly what you need.

As above you are going to have ot strip it down and get some measurmennts.

If you can get some photos of the bearings and seals that will help.

As said above bearing often have a part number etched onot them.

Seals may have part number moulded n to them as well.

It is possible parts from a car have been used for the axle. These could be a bit harder to identify. But once identified it would be a case of buying the "car" parts. Whne you have stripped the bearing out look on th ehub/bearing etc for any marks logos that could identify a manufacturer. (i.e. Ford logo)

Manufacturers don't make their own bearings. They buy in standard sizes, usually the cheapest that will survive the warranty period. 

I never buy bearings from automotive suppliers because they are usually poor quality. Find a local bearing supplier and show them the bearing. They will have something that will fit and probably outlast the rest of the bike.

Remove bearing and seal if it's separate, take to local bearing supplier, Google to see if there is a bsl near you. 

If its a solid axle and it's axle oil leaking out check it should have a vent to allow pressure to remain same as atmosphere, if its blocked when your riding it will help force oil out as it builds up pressure with heat. 

Should be a simple enough job of stripping hub. 

You are going to have to find out what axle has been used for the conversion and get the hub seals for that vehicle ..

Contact previous owner or look for any parts number /marking on axle to determine possibilities